Making your own power cards

tintagel

Explorer
Trolls said:
To give WotC some credit, theirs are designed to be filled in for any power, whereas the ones we have here require editing on the computer.

But isn't WOTC moving towards digital aids already with D&D Insider? It's ironic that they CANCEL the printed publication of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, create a virtual gaming table, then have players fill out blank power cards by hand. I'm hoping for their sake that they at least have an PDF form for DDI subscribers to fill out their own power cards, but right now I am not so sure - besides, wouldn't they mention that feature in the article?

Disappointing.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
tintagel said:
But isn't WOTC moving towards digital aids already with D&D Insider? It's ironic that they CANCEL the printed publication of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, create a virtual gaming table, then have players fill out blank power cards by hand. I'm hoping for their sake that they at least have an PDF form for DDI subscribers to fill out their own power cards, but right now I am not so sure - besides, wouldn't they mention that feature in the article?

Disappointing.
I would second this. I am betting that the cards that are supplied in the PC Sheet supplement will eventually be available as a pdf as well since they are allowing you to print PC sheets from the DDI.

However, IMHO, this falls incredibly short of the product they COULD offer. As the producers of the world's leading TCG - I would think it incredibly simple to add a box of power cards to the early schedule along with the DM Screen and Player Character sheets. Its not a new idea. Spell Cards were around a long time ago. If WotC produced a complete boxed set of PHB1 power cards of MtG Card quality, I am sure they would sell well. They could then add "booster" packs of complete power card sets each time a new sourcebook was added such as the Martial Power. We already know that gaming accessories sell as well if not better than the core books, and adding this type of product, professionally done, could be a really viable addition to the hobby both for WotC's sales and for players. JMHO.

I think it might eventually be something they'll do. Who knows, maybe R&D is already thinking about how to put those power cards to "dual-use" for RPG and a (Trading)card game?

Maybe they shied away from creating a product out of it to avoid the fan outcry "D&D is becoming a Trading Card Game!". ;)

Or they are just busy commissioning new artwork to put on the card.

What I hope is that they don't go for randomized booster sets and stuff like that. I can understand the "stocking" reason for minis, but for cards it would be unnecessary. I really don't think I need 4 Tide of Iron Cards. (4 Goblin Minis on the other hand, are fine. ;) )

They probably could sell them sorted by Tier, Class or Type (At-Will, encounter, daily)... (Depending on the size of a card pack and the release schedule, Class or Class & Tier seems to make the most sense...)

Or this could be the perfect opportunity for GSL publishers!

LowSpine

First Post
Hopefully they will include Basic Attack and Charge in any power cards they produce. They may not be amazing powers but essentially that is what they are: At Will.

deathdonut

First Post
Any chance Troll (or anyone) has a working set of the premade's powers? It doesn't need to be perfect, just wanted to try them out in a game.

Thanks!

hennebeck

First Post
I had a thought Trolls, regarding too much colour, too much information on the cards.

Why not use the little circles on the sides that recognize the faction for each card.

Your template card doesn't have them but official game cards have a little circle next to the slots. In those areas you could color a circle for Attack type.
I was playing DDM last night and realized that those little circles don't bother me at all. You only look at them when you need to.

I would throw one on each separate line based on Melee or range or burst or what not. You could even write the range in there as well.

I hope I'm making myself clear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases