Making your own power cards

Gilwen

Explorer
I love the cards but I must agree. If you did this with completely new powers of your own creation then you could sell them under the GSL. Now is not the time to rock the boat or muddy the waters espcially since the Fansite policy is still in its infancy.

Awesome job on the cards though.

just my .02.

Gil

Rhianni32

Adventurer
sunspot said:
Tremendous News!

Inspired by popular demand I’ve decided to take my community service one step further.

Having access to a professional cardstock printer I’ve decided to print complete decks of power cards on glossy card stock and mail them to everyone interested!

Yes, you heard me!
I will be printing and mailing complete decks of Power Cards!

Learn more Here!

I'm happy to offer this service and truly hope everyone has the oportunity to play with printed power cards. Power Cards have made playing Dungeon and Dragons so much funner I really couldn't resist sharing!

(This is a non-profit venture; the minimal costs serve to cover ink/cardstock & shipping)

While I can appreciate entrepreneurship I think wotc would have issues about this.

1:The card design is a slightly modified version of their existing cards so some copyright issues would exist there. Be very careful about this. You list a creative commons license that you use the design through... but does wotc agree to it because I dont think you can put someone elses ideas there and say its open to use.

2: Is the flavor text of each power open to use or just the mechanic? You say in your disclaimer that its copyright by wotc. Have they agreed to let you use it because again this seems to go beyond the just released license.

3: To be a non profit organization you have to get a license. Its more than just say "I dont make money". Plus you list cutting as part of the fee. That would be a labor charge. Every service industry would be non profit by that definition.

Not trying to derail you. I like to see people get excited about the hobby and act on ideas. Just be very careful about this and I would contact wotc about this.

Last edited:

dark666105

First Post
Rhianni32 said:
While I can appreciate entrepreneurship I think wotc would have issues about this.

1:The card design is a slightly modified version of their existing cards so some copyright issues would exist there. Be very careful about this. You list a creative commons license that you use the design through... but does wotc agree to it because I dont think you can put someone elses ideas there and say its open to use.
wotc has existing power cards?!?!?!

Gilwen

Explorer
they have magic cards and the software of choice for making the power cards is the Magic Set Editor which you can use to make card templates and the such.

gil

Archon of Light

First Post
coastiemike said:
Has anyone created power cards for the new Illusion spells released by WotC last night?
Done. I've posted them, as well as the complete set of Heroic Tier cards in pdf format on the Dragon Avenue forums. (They allow for larger files sizes to be uploaded, otherwise I'd also post them up here.) They're a different style than what a lot of others are doing, and they're not for those who are concerned with liberal usage of ink from their printers. Check a few pages back on this thread where I had previewed a few before.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
Does wotc make power cards? no. Many other cards yes. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20080124a
Not an exact copy but they are pretty darn close. Enough to be an issue? I dont know I'm not educated in copyright laws but I'm also not the one trying to sell the cards. Given the current examples of the cease and desist order from Fantasy Grounds for a similar issue this isnt exactly a joke to ignore.

Gilwen

Explorer
Even if the cards are 100% original design they still contain content that isn't legal to use without permission to do so and selling them is a bad idea in general unless you have that permission.

Gil

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases