Making your own power cards

Grandpa

First Post
This is an awesome set of work, Grandpa.
Thanks.

You came to the same conclusion I did; there simply is no such thing as too much information handed to the players in card form.
Yeah... I did limit, though. For example, I have cards for things like light sources, overland traveling, and moving through difficult terrain in a graveyard, but I felt uncomfortable offering all of the PHB in card form. I ultimately limited the set to (a) things that make up and describe your character, (b) rules that touch the action (standard, move, minor, etc.) system, and (c) conditions.

The trouble is, MSE isn't as nice as Power Point; I'm splitting mine out into separate files. So far I've got: Optional (ENWorld, SwordMage, etc), Magic Items, Powers, and Basic (Skills, etc.).
I haven't used MSE much -- it was intimidating -- and I think the single-file thing might be a big pill to swallow for everyone, while the easily-shared data is an attractive advantage of MSE that makes them welcoming. I don't plan on updating my info with all of the upcoming splatbooks, so unless someone else picks up the baton (I only hope, not expect), they will remain useful only as a "core" set. Which works for me, since after buying all things 3.x, I decided to apply the KISS rule to 4e.

And I hope you don't mind, I'm stealing your icons for the magic items. They were the only ones out there and they're so nicely done I just couldn't resist.
Not at all. If there's anyway I can make them more accessible, let me know.

eloquentaction

First Post
Yeah... I did limit, though. For example, I have cards for things like light sources, overland traveling, and moving through difficult terrain in a graveyard, but I felt uncomfortable offering all of the PHB in card form. I ultimately limited the set to (a) things that make up and describe your character, (b) rules that touch the action (standard, move, minor, etc.) system, and (c) conditions.

Yeah - same idea. But a lot of the original card sets didn't have the plusses listed for races (as an example). Both you and I came to the decision that was a good thing to have.

I originally wasn't going to do equipment, but I think I like the idea of handing out cards when people buy things and then taking the sucker back when it gets used / destroyed. Too many lanterns used after I know for a fact that sucker got broken in the last pit trap. grrrrrr... Bad Player! BAD! No Chicken pot pie for you!!

-- Hirahito

KnightCa

First Post

Attachments

• class_artificer.jpg
    class_artificer.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 144
  • class_monk.jpg
    class_monk.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Grandpa

First Post
I originally wasn't going to do equipment, but I think I like the idea of handing out cards when people buy things and then taking the sucker back when it gets used / destroyed.
I like that too. Another thing I was proud of with the weapon cards in particular was formatting them to have entries just like Basic Melee and Basic Ranged Attack cards. It doesn't last long since they get replaced with Magic Items, but if you use card sleeves, you can put the basic weapon card on the opposite side of a Magic Item card so you have the attack info with that particular weapon in addition to its magical effects/powers.

eloquentaction

First Post
I like that too. Another thing I was proud of with the weapon cards in particular was formatting them to have entries just like Basic Melee and Basic Ranged Attack cards. It doesn't last long since they get replaced with Magic Items, but if you use card sleeves, you can put the basic weapon card on the opposite side of a Magic Item card so you have the attack info with that particular weapon in addition to its magical effects/powers.

That is an interesting idea.

I wonder if I can do something similar for the weapons / magic weapons in my set? Hmmmm....

-- Hirahito

ulrikbb

First Post
Grandpa, in your set, the Godstrike power of the Cleric (page 141 in your biggest PDF) simply has the name "Power Name". Probably overlooked the header there? :)

eloquentaction

First Post
Version 4 Preview...

Here is a sample of a single card in all 4 styles with the parchment set to Full, Light and None.

I added the parchment style for those people who wanted higher contrast and / or wanted to save on ink...

Once again - let me know what you think.

-- Hirahito

Attachments

• dzokvik_sleep.jpg
    dzokvik_sleep.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 143
  • new_light_sleep.jpg
    new_light_sleep.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Simple_Full_Sleep.jpg
    Simple_Full_Sleep.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Simple_None_Sleep.jpg
    Simple_None_Sleep.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Old_Full_Sleep.jpg
    Old_Full_Sleep.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 146

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Fixed the links so they are not in a password-protected location. Sorry about that.

You might want to change the hypertext link that is inside the post because it is still pointing to the password protected page.

Also, did you forget to include the actually set file that tells MSE what to do with all the source files?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases