Making your own power cards

eloquentaction

First Post
Hi Hirahito, will you be updating the set to include the latest Star Pack release?

{see http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080822a}

Sure. I can throw those into Version 5.

I love the cards and am amazed at the breadth of cards available in the set.

BTW: The Guantlets of Ogre Power do not have the level listed.

Speaking of Level, the Rituals do not have the level in the same field as the powers. So if you sort by level it does not work for rituals :(

Thanks much for your support.

I'll see about changing these and throwing out a 4.1 release shortly.

I am in awe of the options you have included. This set was certainly worth the wait!

Sorry it took me so long. Part of the wait was hinged upon communicating with the developer of MSE and pleading with him to release a new version that fixed some critical (for me, anyway) bugs. Luckily, he was extremely understanding and supportive.

I am not sure if this is likely to be an issue for you, but you might want to consider making the split kits available separately. That will cut down on your bandwidth and the download time for your visitors.

Also, if you update only one file everyone does not have to download EVERY file to get the updated one. Again, this saves on bandwidth for both sides.

Just as an example, I am not interested in the ENWorld material. Not that it is bad, just that we are running straight out of the rules for this current campaign. If I could avoid pulling down the ENWorld stuff, it would save a little wear and tear on the inter-tubes :)

I'll see what I can do. The MSE files are actually pretty small. It's the sets and the graphics therein that actually contain the major part of the over-head. Maybe I'll make a graphics only download and a MSE-SET download.

Most of these are simply ongoing damage, and are very situational. I know you have new players and I guess that is why, but why stop with just the few you did use?

As for Diseases, I assume you are not including those that are only in the Monster Manual? I know from my character's personal experience that Filth Fever is an ugly disease that you did not include. These cards are VERY useful, and I hope you include them in the future.

Truthfully? It's because I didn't see the Diseases in the Monster Manual. I'll see if I can add them to the set and possibly release them with the 4.1 release.

Hirohito,

I only have 1 issue with your set. Actually its not wit hthe set its with the list on the right of the cards. I get everything BUT the names of the items/powers/skills etc. I want to be able to pick and choose which to print, but I have to LITTERALLY sift though the plethera of cards to find what I need, I cant jsut click them in item or name order :( IS there a way to fix this?

Eronian

Eronian -

Open MSE. Open the Set you're interested in. Then click on CARDS -> CARD LIST COLUMNS... menu item.

Find then Name and whatever other fields you want to show up and make sure the checkbox is selected next to them. Also, click on the Name field and then use the 'Move Up' button to move it to the top (which means it becomes the first column in the list).

BTW - This seems to be a problem with MSE. If you change the GAME file to have new fields and rename / remove fields it gets a bit freaked out.
Ah well... live and learn. I apologize to anyone that has this problem. I wish there was some way to tell MSE to reset it's idea of what a set should be.

I hope that helps.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
I've been messing around with powercard designs over the summer, but I just don't have time to edit a new template for MSE.

The basic idea was to - if possible - indicate the class of keyword by the shape of its icon, and the specific keyword by the symbol on the shape. . . which sounds cryptic but hopefully the attachment makes it clear.. . .

Attack ability --> is a banner.

Defense Type --> on a shield

Range info --> symbol on a checkerboard

Accessory --> a hand holding something

Target Type --> a symbol on an archery target.

When possible, the icons have been taken from European heraldry and/or consensus icons drawn from previosu PC authors (Thanks anders and Grandpa!)

The images are HIGH rez raster - 400 dpi - which is probably overkill even for printing from laser.

If there is any interest in these I can post the whole set.

Thanks,

KB

Those are cool as hell!

Have you got a card type that you envision them going on?

Maybe.... a wood type set or something?

-- Hirahito

Grandpa

First Post
Updated with a fix to the Raise Dead card. I also added dates to the main post. I figure the dates within the ZIP files work fine otherwise, and that you would let me know if I was wrong. ;)

eronian23

First Post
Eronian -

Open MSE. Open the Set you're interested in. Then click on CARDS -> CARD LIST COLUMNS... menu item.

Find then Name and whatever other fields you want to show up and make sure the checkbox is selected next to them. Also, click on the Name field and then use the 'Move Up' button to move it to the top (which means it becomes the first column in the list).

BTW - This seems to be a problem with MSE. If you change the GAME file to have new fields and rename / remove fields it gets a bit freaked out.
Ah well... live and learn. I apologize to anyone that has this problem. I wish there was some way to tell MSE to reset it's idea of what a set should be.

I hope that helps.

-- Hirahito

Thank you man, that helped greatly. I did not know that option was even there, heh.

inati

First Post
I'll make you the same offer I made Dzokvik. If you'd like to provide me with some basic images and look / feel references, I'll throw your style into my version 5 release.

The only caveat is: It's extremely tough for me to modify the text outside of certain parameters.

Look on my website (in my sig, below) for my e-mail address.

-- Hirahito

Thanks Hirohito, but I'm not sure if it would work based on a mass template because my cards have a lot of subtle gradients and airbrushing based on text and box objects going on. I really do appreciate the offer though, because being incorporated in one of your sets would be an honor! :)

eloquentaction

First Post
Thanks Hirohito, but I'm not sure if it would work based on a mass template because my cards have a lot of subtle gradients and airbrushing based on text and box objects going on. I really do appreciate the offer though, because being incorporated in one of your sets would be an honor! :)

Only one way to find out - send me some of your artwork and I'll build a sampler set around it; if you think I get it close enough, we release it.

Otherwise I don't. I'm not going to release any set where the author says "I hate it."

I've been playing with MSE a bit to get the multi-hued icons and I found a way to do it; so I'm game to try if you are.

If not - no worries.

-- Hirahito

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases