Making your own power cards

baberg

First Post
randolph said:
warlock-d1-cotdd.jpg
I'm interested in this one - the ease of the Magic Set Editor really appeals to me, but the beauty of Trolls' efforts makes me really want that. I see yours as a good compromise. Once it's finished (or near finished) I'd love the MSE files you're using - especially if they include the Ranged/Melee/whatever icons used in the upper left corner.

Last edited:

LowSpine

First Post
I was thinking monsters should get powercards also.

If you have a stat card for a monster on top and then have their powercards underneath overlapped but with the power names on the bottom of the cards so they can be seen and pulled out from under the stat card and discarded - unless it is a recharge card which can go on a recharge pile and rolled for at the appropriate time.

randolph

First Post
baberg said:
Once it's finished (or near finished) I'd love the MSE files you're using - especially if they include the Ranged/Melee/whatever icons used in the upper left corner.
My custom MSE template is done, as in 100% usable, but currently pretty messy (I'm still stripping out all the non-essential bits of the M:tG template I started from); I'll post it as soon as I finish cleaning it up. And yes, it includes the Ranged/Melee/Ranged Burst/Close Burst/Cone icons (DDM pdf-extracted font, turned into pngs for use as MSE font symbols).

In the meantime, here are some more cards for those interested. (I'm amused that Trolls and I chose the same art for Passing Attack.)[SBLOCK=Fighter pregen]
fighter-a1-cleave.jpg
fighter-a1-toi.jpg
fighter-e1-pa.jpg

fighter-d1-bs.jpg
fighter-cc1.jpg
fighter-cc2.jpg

universal-sw.jpg
[/SBLOCK][SBLOCK=Ranger pregen]
ranger-a1-ca.jpg
ranger-a1-ns.jpg
ranger-e1-fc.jpg

ranger-d1-stt.jpg
ranger-hq.jpg
eladrin-feystep.jpg
[/SBLOCK]Edit: changed image host

Last edited:

Drawback

First Post
randolph said:
My custom MSE template is done, as in 100% usable, but currently pretty messy (I'm still stripping out all the non-essential bits of the M:tG template I started from); I'll post it as soon as I finish cleaning it up. And yes, it includes the Ranged/Melee/Ranged Burst/Close Burst/Cone icons (DDM pdf-extracted font, turned into pngs for use as MSE font symbols).

Ah! What I was waiting for: a superb MSE template to use for the power cards. Great work.

Really.

Give us that nice template!

For the magic items though, I'll use the "full text" magic template made by somebody in this thread earlier... This way, everyone will easily differenciate between player powers and magic item stuff.

Hey, would it be great if we could do "monster cards" like those available in the miniature game? I'd stat monsters on these small cards, print and bring them to the game! I'd leave my monster manual home! (And my players wouldn't try with all their will to see the page I'm on!)

Just a thought.

baberg

First Post
Drawback said:
Hey, would it be great if we could do "monster cards" like those available in the miniature game? I'd stat monsters on these small cards, print and bring them to the game! I'd leave my monster manual home! (And my players wouldn't try with all their will to see the page I'm on!)
I'm already planning to put all of my monsters for a session onto 3x5 cards, though I'll probably just write them out by hand rather than print them out. A bag of D&D Minis and a handful of cards, and you've got yourself an encounter set for the night, no page-flipping necessary. Recurring villains might get their own special card with abilities and history printed out, but when I'm just copying from the MM it's faster and more efficient to just write it out longhand (for me, anyways).

randolph

First Post
Drawback said:
Give us that nice template!
'kay.

The zip file contains three folders that need to be extracted into the MSE data subdirectory. The template should just work, and I added a little bit of explanatory text for each card field (mouseover a field and text will appear in the status bar).

I included a blank jpeg of the background color for reference/cut-and-paste; use RGB 238, 222, 196 as your background layer, or just drop the image you want to use into the attached jpeg.

Enjoy!

Edit: Version update, all necessary files are now in this post.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Hi Randolph. Is there any way to create into the template an option for a Melee or Ranged attack method Icon. As it stands there is only the option for either/or, not a combined :ranged:/:melee: icon. Also, any possibility to add a Basic Ranged ( :ranged: ) icon?

Just curious. Otherwise, this is a nice clean and simple template.

EDIT: Ok, actually just need some how-to help. I created a melee_ranged.png file.
meleerangeday4.png

I added the following entry to the symbol-font file:

symbol:
code: M
image: melee_ranged.png

I also added the Entry on the command line in the game style file: , M - Melee/Ranged.

However, I can't get it to recognize that the command is there when selecting M in the symbol window. Is there another file that needs to be modified to get it to recognize the new symbol?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases