Making your own power cards

Ondo

First Post
It might be useful to have the back of the card tell you if the power is at-will, encounter, or daily. Then you could flip the card over when the power is used, and still know how much rest it'll take to flip it back to the usable side again.

Trolls

First Post
Trying out the different suggestions:

powercards_comp.png

I'm not sure which I prefer, I think they both have merit, and I think the type of attack is just as important as the action.

What do you guys think?

Jack99

Adventurer
Trolls said:

I'm not sure which I prefer, I think they both have merit, and I think the type of attack is just as important as the action.

What do you guys think?

Right one, as the info of type of action and type of power is more closely together.

tintagel

Explorer
I obviously agree with the right one, but I would also like to add that those two bits of information (action type and frequency) are usually the first two things I will look at to choose my action.

The action type is important, but most melee classes will have mainly melee powers, and ranged classes (ranger, casters) will have ranged powers. Sure, you occasionally are looking for a blast instead of single target, but you are always trying to use your various action types each round.

On a related note, where are we going to get art for all the cards? Perhaps the rest of us could begin scouring the net for appropriate images and start a thread about sample images for Powers? Would that be useful for anyone?

emass

Explorer
Trolls said:

What do you guys think?
I would go with the left one.
The action type ("Action: Std") feels constrained in the "bubble", which is just perfect for a pictorial representation of the type of attack.
Furthermore, the graphics for the type of attack (" :area: :close: :ranged: :melee: :bmelee: ") fit much better in a circle-shaped area...

WhatGravitas

Explorer
emass said:
I would go with the left one.
The action type ("Action: Std") feels constrained in the "bubble", which is just perfect for a pictorial representation of the type of attack.
Furthermore, the graphics for the type of attack (" :area: :close: :ranged: :melee: :bmelee: ") fit much better in a circle-shaped area...
Same here. I'd rather try to convey the action through some other means, like the frame colour (compare good, neutral, and evil frames for DDM).

Cheers, LT.

Trolls

First Post
tintagel said:
On a related note, where are we going to get art for all the cards? Perhaps the rest of us could begin scouring the net for appropriate images and start a thread about sample images for Powers? Would that be useful for anyone?

All the images so far are from the Wizards Presents: Races and Classes official gallery. Pencil sketches work best, but aren't necessary. A thread to collect art sound like a good idea, or we could link to suggestions here.

On the subject of art, I've added 'Illus. Name' to the bottom right of the card (see above).

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I think I still like the action cost there.
How about adding the Source in a similar bubble on the right side of the card.

Then we will have At-will/Encounter/Per-Day delineated by card color
Action type delineated by Left Bubble
Power Source delineated by Right Bubble

All of it would be available at the top of the card.

For Racial Powers we can use a a symbol of a over laying face silhouettes.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Power Sources Symbols/Colors

Martial: an Upright Sword; Color Black
Arcane: An Open Book, Blue
Divine: and Amulet, White
Racial: over laying face silhouettes, Green

Wow, now all I have to do is tap the card to activate and we will be good-to-go. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases