Making your own power cards

ObsoleteSoldier

First Post
Grandpa, noticed that the Channel Divinity Paladin Feature text is incorrect. It shows the Cleric text. Just noticed before I was going to print it out.

Great job otherwise! I've really enjoyed what you've done with these cards. :)

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
@eloquentaction: By the way... I was trying to entere some new magic items (from an Adventurer's Vault preview), when I discovered a problem.

In your PHB items file, the field "Rules Text" is used for holding, oddly enough, the rules text for a card. However, when I try to type a ~ in the rules text field in order to add a Daily power "banner" to the card text, MSE replaces the ~ with the name of the card. I cannot paste nor type the symbol required for that graphic into the "Rules Text" field. I can use the other (unnamed) field in the main body of the card, but not the the field I should be using.

I assume this is a product of the properties of that field, but it makes it very difficult to enter new magic items.

Also, The auto-fit text sizing for the card name does not seem to be functioning correctly for a new card. When I load the file, "Black Feather of the Raven Queen" runs over the Holy Symbol icon and off the right side of the card.

As one bit of feedback, it would be nice if there was a checkbox icon available in the card text symbol set. I am currently using the "1's face of the die" icon as a check box so that I can have a single card, and then simply check off which level item the card represents. I suppose the other choice is to you the fields on the right hand side to indicate level and value of item the card is being used to represent.

I am doing that so that I only have to have printed one or two full sets of cards, and then the players can use markers on the card sleeve to indicate what level of the item their character currently posseses. Saves on ink that way :)

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey Hirahito,

first I want to say thanks for your great work, really nice cards and templates you've made there! But I have one question. I'm a really new user of MSE and have no experience whatsoever so maybe the question is a bit dumb.
I seem not to be able to find the template for the magic item cards in your set. I guess you took the "Simple" style, but all I can add there are the power symbols with the short cuts. Could you tell me how to get the icons for armor, weapons etc in the fields?
Thanks a lot and keep up the great work,

regards

eloquentaction

First Post
Hey Hirahito,

first I want to say thanks for your great work, really nice cards and templates you've made there! But I have one question. I'm a really new user of MSE and have no experience whatsoever so maybe the question is a bit dumb.
I seem not to be able to find the template for the magic item cards in your set. I guess you took the "Simple" style, but all I can add there are the power symbols with the short cuts. Could you tell me how to get the icons for armor, weapons etc in the fields?
Thanks a lot and keep up the great work,

regards

Rhuarc -

Here are all the symbols that my set understands. You can change these symbols by moving your cursor to that field and typing one of the symbols.

code: $ --- dot
code: @ --- white dot
code: F --- action free
code: I --- action interrupt
code: M --- action minor
code: V --- action move
code: N --- action none
code: R --- action reaction
code: S --- action standard
code: b --- close blast attack
code: u --- close burst attack
code: w --- clow wall attack
code: B --- area blast attack
code: U --- area burst attack
code: W --- area wall attack
code: p --- personal attack/action
code: t --- touch attack
code: m --- melee attack
code: r --- ranged attack
code: ! --- basic melee attack
code: # --- basic ranged attack
code: s --- line of sight attack
code: h --- hybrid attack
code: H --- basic hybrid attack
code: 1 --- 1 on a 6 sided dice
code: 2 --- 2 on a 6 sided dice
code: 3 --- 3 on a 6 sided dice
code: 4 --- 4 on a 6 sided dice
code: 5 --- 5 on a 6 sided dice
code: 6 --- 6 on a 6 sided dice
code: % --- healing surge
code: a --- at will
code: c --- consumable
code: d --- daily
code: e --- encounter
code: ( --- armor item
code: ) --- armslot item
code: 9 --- belt slot item
code: 0 --- foot slot item
code: - --- hand slot item
code: _ --- head slot item
code: + --- holy symbol item
code: = --- neck slot item
code: [ --- implement - orb
code: ] --- potion
code: { --- ring
code: } --- rod
code: \ --- staff
code: | --- wand
code: ; --- weapon
code: : --- wondrous item
code: ` --- this is a background slot for magic items - consumables
code: ~ --- this is a background slot for daily
code: , --- this is a background slot for encounters
code: . --- this is a ackground slot for at wills
code: ? --- this is a background slot for healing surges

A bit confusing, but I hope that helps.

-- Hirahito

eloquentaction

First Post
@eloquentaction: By the way... I was trying to entere some new magic items (from an Adventurer's Vault preview), when I discovered a problem.

In your PHB items file, the field "Rules Text" is used for holding, oddly enough, the rules text for a card. However, when I try to type a ~ in the rules text field in order to add a Daily power "banner" to the card text, MSE replaces the ~ with the name of the card. I cannot paste nor type the symbol required for that graphic into the "Rules Text" field. I can use the other (unnamed) field in the main body of the card, but not the the field I should be using.

I assume this is a product of the properties of that field, but it makes it very difficult to enter new magic items.

Also, The auto-fit text sizing for the card name does not seem to be functioning correctly for a new card. When I load the file, "Black Feather of the Raven Queen" runs over the Holy Symbol icon and off the right side of the card.

As one bit of feedback, it would be nice if there was a checkbox icon available in the card text symbol set. I am currently using the "1's face of the die" icon as a check box so that I can have a single card, and then simply check off which level item the card represents. I suppose the other choice is to you the fields on the right hand side to indicate level and value of item the card is being used to represent.

I am doing that so that I only have to have printed one or two full sets of cards, and then the players can use markers on the card sleeve to indicate what level of the item their character currently posseses. Saves on ink that way :)

Tristan -

Thanks much for pointing this out.

Since it will be at least another week before I release 4.1, you can fix this by doing the following.

Go into the D&Dh-symbol-black.mse-symbol-font directory in the data directory of MSE and find the "symbol-font" file.

Open it up in WordPad or Notepad. Go down and find the

PHP:
symbol:
     code: ~
     image: freq_daily_back.png

code block (4th from the bottom) and copy the entire thing. Now move to the bottom of the file and paste it, changing the ~ to a ^ (up carrot - shift 6). When finished, it should look like:

PHP:
symbol:
     code: ^
     image: freq_daily_back.png

Then save the file and re-load MSE. The set should now understand ^ OR ~ to be a daily background. This means the old cards work fine, and you should be able to enter new cards with a daily descriptor.

Hope that helps.

-- Hirahito

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
We ran across this during the final fight in H1. During the battle we ended up with a number of characters each with multiple conditions active at the same time. Some were "save ends" and others were "end of your next turn" or "end of <characters> next turn". It got to be somewhat difficult to keep track of which were which.

As a result, I am making a set of condition cards that are copies of the "You are..." condition cards from Hirahito's set, but which have the heading "Ongoing XXX effect.". It includes the same basic text, but adds a note that the player can save from the effect at the end of their turn.

Likewise, I am adding cards with the heading "Ongoing XXX damage" (where XXX is one of the damage types) to inidicate what ongoing damage a character is suffering. These note that damage is taken at the start of the turn, and a save is allowed at the end of the turn.

Just thought I would bring those up as card ideas, in case someone else sees a value in them.

eloquentaction

First Post

Tristan -

The effect you are seeing - the text running over the right hand side - is caused by the set your using. I have some masking errors if not all of the fields are used that I'm trying to clean up for version 4.1

You can fix this by entering some text into the top field above the RULES text box. The RULES textbox should get shoved down and the masking will start working correctly again.

Pain in the ass, yes.

Alternatively - you can select a different card set and the text should show up fine. Only 2 of the sets (that I know of) have this masking problem.

I'm hoping to have this corrected for 4.1.

-- Hirahito

tristan_tewksbury

First Post
Since it will be at least another week before I release 4.1
:eek: I just finished editing all the 4.0 items to include spaces on the right-hand side for level, value, and critDice. What are the upcoming changes?

Then save the file and re-load MSE. The set should now understand ^ OR ~ to be a daily background. This means the old cards work fine, and you should be able to enter new cards with a daily descriptor.

Hope that helps.
Perfectly! :cool:

Thank you very much!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases