Making your own power cards

Intrope

First Post
Mostlyjoe said:
We need status cards stat! Bloodied, stunned, etc. It's weird, but D&D is turning into a hybrid mini's card roleplaying game and I'm really, really starting to like it. :D
Yah, I'm thinking status cards and continuing-effect cards; having a card to 'attach' to a monster for each ongoing effect would be useful. I may try putting such effects on a half business card (split longways, I think) so they can be placed on the mat (with an arrow at one end to point to the target). That might get messy if a single creature got too many effects--but I'm hoping that's rare in any case.

On the other hand, being able to turn my character sheet into a hand of cards would actually be fairly neat!

Intrope

First Post
Lindorie said:
Good suggestion on the color-for-alignment, although I wonder if there would be too many alignments to easily represent in colors.
If the alignments are actually Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil, Chaotic Evil then you only need 3 colors (white, gray, black) and two 'modifiers': say a Blue square on the white alignment for LG, and a Red squiggly circle (or chaos multi-arrow) on the Black alignment for CE.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
Intrope said:
On the other hand, being able to turn my character sheet into a hand of cards would actually be fairly neat!

It's wonderful. We don't have to do this, but since the game is easy enough to do...it's so nice. I'd love to have a mess of Status cards. Many copies so I can keep status for PCS and NPCs easy to follow.

The Little Raven

First Post
Mostlyjoe said:
It's wonderful. We don't have to do this, but since the game is easy enough to do...it's so nice. I'd love to have a mess of Status cards. Many copies so I can keep status for PCS and NPCs easy to follow.

Color-marked status cards go great with the Alea Tools magnetic markers.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
I was thinking of taking away grids all together. Just use a tapemeasure and Warmachine style minis. Gonna see how that changes the games. Firecubes and all.

tintagel

Explorer
Hello folks,

I almost decided to make my own template, but figured the MTG style wasn't really that bad, especially if you took advantage of all the color options.

These are all the D&D Experience character abilities. I know they have been posted already, but I wasn't happy with the fonts or color selection for those. Here is my system - your mileage may vary!

• The card color represents the class (paladin, warlock, etc). For the Warlock, multiple colors represent the class (black) and focus (green = fey).
  • Powers based on Races use the Land texture, and Items will use the Artifact texture.
  • I took advantage of the Power/Toughness section to re-state the type of ability (Standard, Move, Minor, Free, or Immediate), since in play this is a common point where my players have slowed down in trying to pick their actions.
  • I am using the official 4E logo as the set logo - just for fun. Black = At Will, Silver = Encounter, and Gold = Daily.
  • At Will, Encounter, and Daily are also represented by the card border. I chose darker variations of the colors to help they eyes. I almost made everything with black borders for aesthetic reasons, since I will be using colored sleeves for my coding, but figured others might not, so I left them. Feel free to change if you don't like.
  • The mana symbol represents the level of the power. In the case of Class features, I used 0, since you get those independent of level. Also, X is used for racial powers - though I might just pull that.

I have included a full post on my blog, with attachments. Included is a PDF of the cards, a link to my Picasa album, the full Magic Set Editor file, and my modified style (place it in the \data\magic-new-fulltext.mse-style folder and overwrite).

http://educatedgamer.net/blog/archives/185

Last edited:

Drawback

First Post
tintagel said:
Hello folks,

I almost decided to make my own template, but figured the MTG style wasn't really that bad, especially if you took advantage of all the color options.

I love what you did there... Although I have a suggestion... As you said you liked the fact that the MTG template had a lot of color options. Let's add more! There's a MTG template available which added the yellow, orange and purple colors (with mana symbols) to the set! With these colors, we would be ready for new classes and power sources!

As I have NO skills whatsoever in modifying templates, here's the link : MTG orange/yellow/purple

Do your magic tintagel!

Lindorie

First Post
Hawke said:
Lindorie, any chance of making your full set or templates available for download? I'd love them !
Here are the other six Wizard pre-gen character sheet powers.

Attachments

• P-ForceOrb.jpg
    P-ForceOrb.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 339
  • P-GhostSound.jpg
    P-GhostSound.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 271
  • P-MageHand.jpg
    P-MageHand.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 284
  • P-MagicMissile.jpg
    P-MagicMissile.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 244
  • P-ScorchingBurst.jpg
    P-ScorchingBurst.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 267
  • P-Sleep.jpg
    P-Sleep.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 244

Hawke

Explorer
Thanks for the cards!

Trying to get a set together for running the adventure this week. Should be really exciting!

For those of you using the Magic Set Editor, know of any way we might be able to add-to or replace the magic icons with ones like these :bmelee: :melee: :ranged: :close: :area: ?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases