Making your own power cards

eloquentaction

First Post
What do you guys think about the power cards generated by the soon to be released character builder : http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/20081029_13f.jpg

I think they are basic.

I think they'll work (in a pinch), but:

* They're ugly
* There's only 8 to a page instead of 9.
* They don't print backs

On the plus side, they are customized for the character.

I think I'm going to write a proggy that takes the XML and prints the MSE related cards (9 to a page) out with the same information. XML is easy, but my proggy will only work for Windows users (sorry).

-- Hirahito

Nytmare

David Jose
I think I'm going to write a proggy that takes the XML and prints the MSE related cards (9 to a page) out with the same information.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I might be wrong, but I was lead to believe that you'll be able to output from the character builder to your own xml sheets, which means that you'll be able to design the cards any way that you want.

(EDIT - at least as long as they give you all the right bits of information)

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I might be wrong, but I was lead to believe that you'll be able to output from the character builder to your own xml sheets, which means that you'll be able to design the cards any way that you want.

(EDIT - at least as long as they give you all the right bits of information)

Well, even if they just print it out as a PDF I have some C# libraries that let me rip apart a PDF (as long as it's not password protected) and look at all the text. I could just parse the PDF and come up with my own set of card information.

Sometimes it's nice to be a hacker.

BTW - Nytmare. I would appreciate it if you e-mailed me. I'd like to work together with you (full credits given to you) on some projects I'm working on. I like your design-sense more than most on here (including my own). Send me a private PM if that's OK with you.

-- Hirahito

Maledictus

First Post
For anyone who's been playing with Ander's power cards with a Paladin:

Please check your PHB pg. 92 (Bolstering Strike) and make a correction. The actual ability is read as "...gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier." where Ander's cards read "...equal to your Wisdom."

This is a HUGE difference which can massively overpower this ability(i.e. 10 temp hp vs 0 temp hp...or 20 instead of 5). I'd recommend with all the power cards you use, double check them and maybe we can get another thread going for just glitches we find in the sets.

For anyone who's been playing with Ander's power cards with a Paladin:

Please check your PHB pg. 92 (Bolstering Strike) and make a correction. The actual ability is read as "...gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier." where Ander's cards read "...equal to your Wisdom."

This is a HUGE difference which can massively overpower this ability(i.e. 10 temp hp vs 0 temp hp...or 20 instead of 5). I'd recommend with all the power cards you use, double check them and maybe we can get another thread going for just glitches we find in the sets.

Ander's cards (with a few exceptions, mostly in Warlord powers) abbreviate references to "Wisdom Modifier" with "Wis," "Intelligence Modifier" with "Int," and so on. This isn't a big deal after the first time you look at a power and say "There's no way this power is that good," check the rest of the cards, and see what's going on. I actally went through the set to replace the few lingering instances of the full ability score names with their abbreviations and only found one power that referred to an ability score, it did something extra if your Dexterity was at least 15, but I can't find it right now.

An actual error I've found was that Chill Strike has the Cone icon instead of the Ranged icon.

Maxum

First Post
Hello to all D&D players !

I have finally uploaded the Ander's template I enhanced. I made some important modifications on the template, so it took me more time than I expected. But I think it was worth the effort.
You can find the template here : Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Do you have a Data Set for this template ? I tried Ander00 Set but does not work right with your template. I get an error when I try to change the style.

Last edited:

Maledictus

First Post
I actually went through the set to replace the few lingering instances of the full ability score names with their abbreviations and only found one power that referred to an ability score, it did something extra if your Dexterity was at least 15, but I can't find it right now.

An actual error I've found was that Chill Strike has the Cone icon instead of the Ranged icon.

Any way you could upload that dataset anywhere for the rest of us? So that we don't have to go through 1127 power cards and checking them. While I have the PHB, MM, DMG, AV, FRPHB, and a few other books, it'd be a SERIOUS pain to go through checking each of the power cards versus their sources.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases