Making your own power cards

DennisB

First Post
I just tried it out and not bad, it has everything you need, although it is a little plain, it is great. me, as you can tell from my endeavor, i like flash, flair and piazza. but besides the looks, all i have to say is, WOW!!!!!!!!
4 out of 5 still has a few minor bugs in it.

on another note, how the heck do you put a deck of MSE files on here for anyone to download?

Last edited:

Thindaraiel

First Post
ENWorld does not accept every file type. The simplest way is to zip your files and attach them to your message, or store them on the web (mediafire for instance) and give the link.

DennisB

First Post
OK here, i think i did it, can someone tell me if i did it right.
And if i did it right, i added the MSE template to the file as well so you dont have to search for it in that huge list.

If correct, this is all the wizards in 4E up to this date.
View attachment 37870

Last edited:

Bayuer

First Post
DennisB that are great cards! I like it very much, but one problem. I translate cards to my native language and those I can't couse thats only images... Can I somehow edit them? Maybe if you will give a photoshop files I could edit text ther.

Thindaraiel

First Post
DennisB, the cards are great, but as they are only images, we cannot edit them, nor extend them (my group and I have a bunch of home rules, we don't use the exact powers).

I think that your template can be made fully in MSE. Wait until the universal game file is ready, and we should help you to create the appropriate style file.

Thindaraiel

First Post
No. I discovered that the english version of the template (I work mainly on the french version and report code on the english one) was incomplete.

Here is a corrective patch to deploy in MSE/data directory in addition to the template Thindaraiel 1.0. This will make the character cards work.

Attachments

• Thindaraiel1.0.a.zip
    1 KB · Views: 123

jsepeta

First Post
PDF help

Wow. Took a couple of days to read through every freaking single post in this thread. I've already printed out Ander00's PDF set (which scaled down to fit on 8.5x11 -- now my cards are smaller than average!) and laminated them and have been cutting for 3 days. ugh. Only 5 more sets to go before Saturday's excursion with 2 players who are new to D&D, and my daughter, who has been running a different character in our 3.x campaign.

I'm quite impressed by the progress that's been made with power cards over the past couple of months, and I'm thrilled to see so much awesome work done by Ander00, Grampa, Thindaraiel, eloquentaction, Hirahito, and others. Standardizing the data sets then farming out the tedious data entry to other members of the group makes a great deal of sense -- it's kind of that "open source" philosophy that will allow the game of D&D to expand and prosper beyond WotC's expectations.

I've been playing 4e in a couple of groups and using Ander00's cards for my 6th level ranger Nariah was quite helpful in this past Wednesday's adventure. However, I still recognize a level of frustration from old-timers like myself with some of the changes WotC have introduced with the 4e version. For instance, many powers, abilities, and spells from 3.x and previous versions did not make it to the current version -- this has led to a more balanced game, but perhaps one that may seem a bit "genericized". However, if we (a group of enthusiastic developers) can decide on a common template for data entry, it likely would not be long before industrious hobbyists convert some of the features of previous versions for use in 4e. If this data were to be kept in separate sets, such as "rituals from Spell Compendium", "cool items from Dragon #76" and "powers from Magic Incarnum", "feats from a cool D20 book", and "homegrown races" that would help DMs to further personalize the adventures and campaigns they run. This notion excites me, as it would encourage more gamers to participate in growing the world of D&D.

I would like to volunteer to help with PDF creation from various templates and mse-sets. I work for a Mac dealer and I own a couple of sweet and powerful computers (Apple & HP) as well as Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, so this kind of task would be right up my alley. Also, by providing downloadable PDFs, it makes these cards more accessible to gamers who aren't that technically inclined or who don't want to spend hours dorking with the Magic Set Editor. Hirahito, please contact me here because your new website doesn't have a working email link.

eloquentaction

First Post
Hirahito, please contact me here because your new website doesn't have a working email link.

Shows how busy and hectic things have been.

The new website is an old design that I don't really like (but it looks remarkably better than nothing). I threw it up there to at least get a place holder.

I've got two projects at work that HAVE to get done before the end of the year. I've got one of them almost complete and the second is giving me nothing but grief... so much so I'm contemplating ripping it apart and rebuilding the framework I'm so pissed off at it.

Once these two projects (that are my bread and butter) are complete, I should have plenty of time to complete the web site, post my new campaign rules and changes, post the version 0.1a of the Unified Card Set Project, post the UCSP Flat file converter and post all of my original Text files up to my 4.3 release, then release my first card set based on it (which needs to be redesigned because Thindariel already did an Ander re-make), also I want to re-make a new card design based on an idea I saw the other day. Lastly, I want to perfect my Character cards and Initiative cards.

As a side effort - I'm starting to realize that there needs to be a pre-loader for the sets that does what the Javascript utility does; allows you to filter what cards you want to see. I also want this pre-loader to have the ability to put in stats for your character and have the cards show the correct values in the main rule text and in the side bars.

This is all before I start the DnDI project which I really want to do because the Wiesbaden based Excel sheets look like they are no longer being supported (which is the sheet I've been using for everything - very good sheet, IMHO). So I either want to start my own new Excel based sheet to take over the Weisbaden project or do the DnDI and hope the WoTC people finish up more of the DnDI past 3rd freaking level.

As you can see, my plate's kinda full!

;-)

BTW - EloquentAction and Hirahito are the same person. And if you want my e-mail it's EloquentAction (at) Yahoo (dot) com.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

DennisB

First Post
Thindaraiel: i tried to put the information on the MSE cards that look like this but there is a glitch in it, the card program is set for large print only and the left side is for pics only so i had to improvise. and after many triles and mistakes i got it the way i wanted, now i am not saying it is for everyone, i am saying that it is complete as far as "ALL" the powers up to date and it could be used as a quick refence guide for everyone. i know it can't be modified except by me, and for that i am sorry, that is why i asked everyone that gets the decks to inform me of any ymistakes so i may correct them and update them. This was the only answer to many problms i came across while making the cards, it took me 2 months of downloading every template of MSE and testing them out to make it just right. now when I get to version 2.0 of all the cards i might do what ander did and put stat boxes on the cards. but until the universal deck gets completed, please accept thease decks as a christmas gift to all of you and i hope yu all enjoy them and all my hard work I have put in them.

Jsepeta: You said

"I've been playing 4e in a couple of groups and using Ander00's cards for my 6th level ranger Nariah was quite helpful in this past Wednesday's adventure. However, I still recognize a level of frustration from old-timers like myself with some of the changes WotC have introduced with the 4e version. For instance, many powers, abilities, and spells from 3.x and previous versions did not make it to the current version -- this has led to a more balanced game, but perhaps one that may seem a bit "genericized"."

I agree, however, as you know, there is going to be a release of the Arcain powers handbook soon, i have the martial powers handbook and it expands the powers greatly, i think the Arcain powers will do the same thing, you need to realize that there is only so much room in the players handbook so they could not put all the powers in one book, also, you need to think from a profet standerd, if you put all the powers into one book, then there would be no room to release more books later to make more money.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases