Making your own power cards

tintagel

Explorer
I think Riley nails it - how about these symbols? >> is standard, the four-pointed star is pretty much universal for move in most applications. The * is minor (since asterisks are usually used to note minor things), and the ! is for immediate actions to draw attention.

PNGs are zipped and attached as well, for your convenience.

4304158-c39_display.jpg

Attachments

• actions_png.zip
    117.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

ianleblanc

First Post
Ya those color symbols are cool, I think it's important to have action type and frequency somewhere predominant. Though, I would reconsider the standard action one, >> dosn't feel like a standard action, it seems more like a movement. And you might want to find something for full round actions (if there's such a thing in 4th ed).
Maybe have the frequency (at-will, encounter, daily) be a color somewhere or something, as long as it's the second most visible piece of info on the card, after action type (standard, move, minor).

emass

Explorer
Nah... no need to introduce even more symbols.
I think Trolls version is basically perfect (with or without the bubble color code - as long as the action type is written in a notch as well, I really don't mind the bubble color)

Riley

Legend
ianleblanc said:
Ya those color symbols are cool, I think it's important to have action type and frequency somewhere predominant. Though, I would reconsider the standard action one, >> dosn't feel like a standard action, it seems more like a movement. And you might want to find something for full round actions (if there's such a thing in 4th ed).

I like the move, minor, and immediate. I agree the standard is a bit trickier.

ianleblanc said:
Maybe have the frequency (at-will, encounter, daily) be a color somewhere or something, as long as it's the second most visible piece of info on the card, after action type (standard, move, minor).

That's already done. The Green shading at the top is "at will," with black and red indicating daily and per encounter (IIRC). It's a color scheme that'll be in the PHB.

Last edited:

Trolls

First Post
Ok, try these on for size. We've got an experiment with a long power (Bigby's, as requested), and then versions with the new action symbols in the bubble. You can imagine the top ones without the colour in the bubble, if you wish.
Note that I've removed the power source notch from the bottom ones, and left the action in. I've done that to clarify action type, and because space is low and power source doesn't actually matter.

more_powercards.png

So, a new round of opinions!

Riley

Legend
Trolls said:

Trolls,
I really like that lower set. They look great! I especially like your use of that top side bar for icons for attack type.

A few additional thoughts along the same vein:
  1. A tiny "10" could be stuck just under the bow in the left top sidebar, indicating range.
  2. The second side bar could indicate type of attack: "Int vs. Ref" or "Str vs. AC."
  3. In the power descriptions, consider bold-texting the part that says "2d10 + Intelligence bonus force damage."
  4. In the upper left circle with the "standard action" symbol, a tiny asterisk in the corner (sic) could indicate a sustain minor.

Keep up the great work! I was planning to try to do something like this myself, but your Adobe-fu far exceeds my own capabilities.

Last edited:

tintagel

Explorer
I knew that Standard Action icon would get me into trouble... It didn't sit right with me either, but I figured that the Chevron symbolized action? LOL. Any suggestions for a Standard Action icon? Right now, I am siding with a fist.

Oh, and Spot On Riley - again. Those little details like the range and sustain are very good.

baberg

First Post
Trolls said:
I think the bottom ones are just about perfect. Color-coded for At-Will/Encounter/Daily, the easily-checked icons in the upper left corner for standard/minor/move, and the top sidebar for weapon is just about perfect.

The only changes I can think of is to make the left sidebar more of a "quick-facts" thing - emphasize that it's Int vs. Reflex, or put the damage highlighted in those boxes. But I think there's not enough room in the sidebar for that information, so without a major redesign it's not possible.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases