Making your own power cards

Trolls

First Post
randolph said:
I'm actually 95% done with it as of last night, but I'm not going to stop you :)

By the way, Trolls, quindia, I've been crediting you as your ENWorld handles, let me know if you want me to use a different name.

I should have checked this thread before I got half way into it!
I expect you know what you're doing better than I do, so I'll wait and see how yours turns out :)
Thanks for giving it a go!

Using my ENworld handle is fine by me.

quindia

First Post
randolph said:
By the way, Trolls, quindia, I've been crediting you as your ENWorld handles, let me know if you want me to use a different name.

Quindia is fine. It's my identity for everything I do online and much more recognizable than Clarence! ;)

Last edited:

randolph

First Post
2008/04/30 update

TL;DR If you're using any of the MSE templates I posted earlier, please re-download the attached package, it's much better. If you get errors while opening a set file made with the earlier version, view the fix in the SBLOCK below, and if that still doesn't work, I'll help you fix it.[SBLOCK=In case of error...]The only type of error message you should get should be "unexpected key" errors. If this occurs:
1) Make a change to any card in the set, or create a new card (you can leave it entirely blank).
2) Save the set. The error should not happen again.

Some symbols you might have placed in the earlier version will not transfer elegantly to the new version. If you see this:
1) Select the affected field.
2) If the wrong symbol/text is in the field, delete it.
3) Mouseover the symbol field to see the new abbreviation-to-symbol mapping[/SBLOCK]
quindia said:
Quindia is fine. It's my identity for everything I do online and much more recognizable than Clarence! ;)
You got it :)
Trolls said:
I should have checked this thread before I got half way into it!
I expect you know what you're doing better than I do, so I'll wait and see how yours turns out :)
Thanks for giving it a go!

Using my ENworld handle is fine by me.
Done! I packaged all three MSE templates together in the attached file, including the necessary fonts.

Your (Trolls') template required some additional tweaks to the MSE game file:[SBLOCK=]Basically, anywhere a piece of power data was formatted using two font sizes, the game file needed an additional card field defined. As I was implementing your Action icons, I decided to actually implement a more intuitive abbreviation system for the icons of all of the templates, instead of continuing to use the Magic symbol abbreviations, so I ended up cleaning up the game files functions a lot more...

With the changes in place, the MSE game file fully supports all three templates without any field repurposing; however, the changes are not fully compatible with card sets made with the previous version of the template.[/SBLOCK]

Edit: Updated version here.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
NM - I got the files to work by updating the older files included in the new .zip.

However, I am trying to re-add my Dual Melee/Ranged symbol added into the new format and not having much luck. How would I go about adding a new range icon to the options?

Last edited:

Lindorie

First Post
I'm downloaded the MSE and randolph's templates to take a look myself, but does anyone have the pre-generated paladin and fighter powers in Randolph's, Quindia, and Troll's format? In pdf? [thanks]

I've told our group about these, and they are interested in playtesting with all the sets in front of them and seeing what they like about each.

Allanon

Explorer
randolph, thanks for all the effort you've put into this. It works like a charm :)
Two quick questions though:
  • what's the difference between a basic (m)elee attack and a (M)elee attack? Although the option is there both show the :melee: icon?
  • Is it possible to make the titles in Quindia's Template scalable? Long titles like the warlock power "Curse of the Dark Dream" don't fit, and I shudder to think about names like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Stance" for future monks ;)

For those interested in a comparison I've attached a Zipped PDF containing the 1st level powers of a fighter and a warlock.

To Trolls, Randolph, Quindia and all others thanks again for the effort in making/designing these cards. My group are going to love these cards.

Attachments

• Fighter_Warlock_Comparison.zip
    253.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Allanon said:
randolph, thanks for all the effort you've put into this. It works like a charm :)

Ok, question. How did you get the Font to work on the Quindia style? Its not working for me. It defaults to a plain font.

Edit: NM. I shouldn't be trying to mess with this while at work. Too much multitasking. I had to install the Flare font. DOH!

Last edited:

Trolls

First Post
Very nice work randolph!

The only part missing is the black back of the titles. I managed to do that in my try by just creating another text box below the white one, but displaced by 2 pixels left and down. Is there a way to script it so the black text appears in place automatically?

Also, is the B character supposed to show a close burst symbol in the first notch? Nothing appears when I type it, but the cursor moves along as if something has been typed.

Ashardalon

First Post
I'll have to take a closer look at the templates, but I think I can answer some questions...
Allanon said:
  • Is it possible to make the titles in Quindia's Template scalable? Long titles like the warlock power "Curse of the Dark Dream" don't fit, and I shudder to think about names like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Stance" for future monks ;)
Adding shrink-overflow to the alignment theoretically takes care of that. However, a bug in the current version can move long text outside the text box if used with nonstandard alignments such as center, which Quindia's template uses.

Trolls said:
The only part missing is the black back of the titles. I managed to do that in my try by just creating another text box below the white one, but displaced by 2 pixels left and down. Is there a way to script it so the black text appears in place automatically?
To the font part of the title, add this:
Code:
			shadow color: rgb(0,0,0)
			shadow displacement x: 2
			shadow displacement y: -2
That should place the shadow you want correctly. Just fix the displacement if not. Do check that indention remains in tabs rather than spaces - I've found that code tags are notoriously inconsistent with keeping tabs.

Beastman

First Post
quindia said:
Blue Card...

I like them and using them in MSE. Is it possible to get a silver and gold version (i want to make some item cards). Thanx...

I also tried to the Photoshop-Template and i like the background power-types. It would be cool to incorporate them into the MSE-template if possible (don't know if you can lay pictures behind the text and make them transparent so that the background of the card shows through). That would save some space in the Subtitle.

Remove ads