Making your own power cards

Khaalis

Adventurer
I've begun placing up completed .pdfs of the preview class powers at Tintagel's Site. I am planning on doing full sets for each class in 3 different styles (Quindia's, Randolph's and LordTirian's). Each set will also be further broken down into a page of cards without backs for those who only want to print a single sided card, as well as a page with card backs for duplex printing. Each card on the page is 3.5" x 2.5" (standard magic card size) and will thus fit card sleeves easily. This is pretty time consuming so it might take a few days to get all of the classes done.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
tintagel said:
Very nice Tirian. I particularly like the gradient on the attack buttons and the dark purple for the daily power. I never really liked black as a daily color.
Well, for the attack buttons - your template inspired me in this regard. And for the black: Yeah, it usually ended up looking grey - so I took a page from my mini painting and remembered that you don't shade black with white (i.e. just lighter colour), but rather with bluish-purplish colours.

@Khaalis: Pretty cool that you do that! I'm looking forward to seeing it! :)

Cheers, LT.

Mercutio01

First Post
Don't know how many people even care, but I fixed two of the damage icons in my style and borrowed tintagel's idea for the attack icons - setting them on a metallic background and setting the arrows to be transparent.

Poison and Psychic, respectively.

EDIT - I saved my XCF file from the GIMP and saved it as a PSD. Both are in the below zip.

Attachments

• poison.png
    poison.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 148
  • psychic.png
    psychic.png
    17 KB · Views: 146
  • power cards.zip
    1 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:

randolph

First Post
Khaalis said:
I've begun placing up completed .pdfs of the preview class powers at Tintagel's Site.
What do you use to output MSE to pdf?

On a related note, I printed out some of my power cards for the first time last night for a short session. They were printed with a color HP printer on regular paper, cut out with scissors, then slipped into M:tG-style tournament sleeves along with an Exodus land card each for some rigidity. They looked, felt, and worked great :) I'll put up some photos tonight.

I ended up printing them out with the actual numbers though, i.e. "+6 vs. AC" and "1d10 + 5 damage" instead of "Strength vs. AC" and "[w] + STR damage" because it often isn't just "[stat] vs. [defense]," but rather "[stat] + [proficiency bonus] + [level bonus] + [enhancement bonus] + [feats] + [class features] vs. [defense]" and "[w] + [stat mod] + [enhancement bonus] + [feats]." I know that it might end up being a huge pain to reprint every level-up or equipment change, so I probably won't go that route. I'll probably just use the "actual numbers" version for the pregens for demo purposes, and print the "undefined variable" version for regular use come June and the PHB.

Cadilon

First Post
Thanks in advance for your work on this. It'll really help those of us with little talent and/or less time.

Khaalis said:
I've begun placing up completed .pdfs of the preview class powers at Tintagel's Site. I am planning on doing full sets for each class in 3 different styles (Quindia's, Randolph's and LordTirian's). Each set will also be further broken down into a page of cards without backs for those who only want to print a single sided card, as well as a page with card backs for duplex printing. Each card on the page is 3.5" x 2.5" (standard magic card size) and will thus fit card sleeves easily. This is pretty time consuming so it might take a few days to get all of the classes done.

Khaalis

Adventurer
randolph said:
What do you use to output MSE to pdf?
Me personally or in general?

In general you can do it two ways.
1) Use a print to pdf software like CutePDF and export to print right from MSE. However, I find that this does NOT make cards at the correct size for whatever reason. They always comes out too small. Thus...
2) I personally make a Word template made up of correctly sized table cells and import the .jpg files into the table, size them correctly, then save the file as a pdf (since I don't actually have a copy of Acrobat.

On a related note, I printed out some of my power cards for the first time last night for a short session. They were printed with a color HP printer on regular paper, cut out with scissors, then slipped into M:tG-style tournament sleeves along with an Exodus land card each for some rigidity. They looked, felt, and worked great :) I'll put up some photos tonight.
I tend to find that just printing right onto 110lb. cardstock works the best for me. I might still look into sleeves but since the cards are cheap to produce I'm not that worried about it. (I haven't played Magic in a few years and sold all my cards, so I don't have cards to use for stock nor any sleeves laying around anymore.)

I ended up printing them out with the actual numbers though, i.e. "+6 vs. AC" and "1d10 + 5 damage" instead of "Strength vs. AC" and "[w] + STR damage" because it often isn't just "[stat] vs. [defense]," but rather "[stat] + [proficiency bonus] + [level bonus] + [enhancement bonus] + [feats] + [class features] vs. [defense]" and "[w] + [stat mod] + [enhancement bonus] + [feats]." I know that it might end up being a huge pain to reprint every level-up or equipment change, so I probably won't go that route. I'll probably just use the "actual numbers" version for the pregens for demo purposes, and print the "undefined variable" version for regular use come June and the PHB.
Are the card sleeves able to have Dry Erase markers used on them? If so, this could allow you the "quick number" access you are looking for without reprinting all the cards.

sunspot

Explorer
This thread is coolest I've seen in a long time!

Lord Tirian, Could you post your cards in .psd?
I would like to tinker with them, if you don't mind of course.

C_M2008

First Post
Lord Tirian(or anyone else who knows how), the font you are using in your example is quite nice, I've downloaded your little package there, but I cant seem to get it to work(the font I mean, I just get the big block style). Am I doing something wrong? (I'm just pasting your files into the MSE data file).

Last edited:

meandog

First Post
C_M2008 said:
Lord Tirian(or anyone else who knows how), the font you are using in your example is quite nice, I've downloaded your little package there, but I cant seem to get it to work(the font I mean, I just get the big block style). Am I doing something wrong? (I'm just pasting your files into the MSE data file).

You need to place the fonts that are in the zip folder that you down loaded into your windows font folder.

Remove ads