Making your own power cards

tintagel

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
They are - search for randolph's latest update... there's the Trolls template as well.

Cheers, LT.

You know, we could upload those files to the wiki... I don't want to put anyone's work up there unless they want it, but it would be nice to consolidate our files into one place.

Oh, I've uploaded the MSE and PDF files ( Ranger, Paladin, and Wizard so far) for my template too...

Last edited:

tintagel

Explorer
Hey, could I get some quick feedback on these? I'm trying to make a background for the Fey based Warlock... Thoughts? Too dark maybe? Go with a light background and dark text as normal? Thanks for your consideration!

lock-test.jpg

meandog

First Post
tintagel said:
Hey, could I get some quick feedback on these? I'm trying to make a background for the Fey based Warlock... Thoughts? Too dark maybe? Go with a light background and dark text as normal? Thanks for your consideration!

I like them!

meandog

First Post
tintagel

I am having problems down loading the mse files from your site again. Are you working on it or am i doing something wrong?
Thanks

sunspot

Explorer
I like them 2, but I would consider changing the title color, and make it more centered. (The background is a little dark, but fits the warlock theme very well)

jlhorner1974

First Post
tintagel said:

I'm no expert, but I think you can go either way, but if you want honest feedback, I would prefer a texture that is roughly uniform brightness (all relatively dark or all relatively light). The bark texture you have is artistically very nice, but there are parts of it that are relatively light within the overall dark green. In a few places, the light areas of the bark texture visually interfere a bit with the white text (for an example, see the word "allows" in the Eldritch Blast card). Drop shadows could help also -- there are drop shadows for the Old (before 8th Ed) card style for the card title, creature type, and power/toughness. Maybe there is a way to manipulate MSE into drawing them for you? Of course, if you are working directly from PhotoShop, you have full control.

I apologize if this were mentioned earlier (I've skimmed most of the thread but I don't recall everything), but one drawback with light text on a dark background is that it uses a lot more ink when printing. For a few sheets of cards, it isn't a lot, but if you are doing a set of cards for every party member every level... it could add up. I personally wouldn't mind, but some others might.

Please, though, don't take these comments the wrong way. The cards you've put together are really outstanding. I plan on using them myself.

tintagel

Explorer
meandog said:
tintagel

I am having problems down loading the mse files from your site again. Are you working on it or am i doing something wrong?
Thanks
Nope - I messed up the link. Fixed it, so try again! I'm sorry.

Sunspot: I can center them more, easy. What about the color? What would you recommend?

jlhorner1974: Thank for the honest feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll look for that drop shadow code, and will try to reduce the overall contrast on the background. Look for something new tomorrow night.

Last edited:

randolph

First Post
As promised, here are the pictures of the physical cards in use (click to enlarge).

I've also finished the DDXP pregen power card set for MSE, with card art; it's attached:
DDXP_pregens.zip - MSE Power cards for the DDXP pregen characters, in my template
D&D-mse20080503.zip - Complete MSE D&D game file, includes Quindia, Trolls, and my templates, and fonts for Quindia's template.

@ tintagel: I'll put it on the wiki once I finish making the game file and your template play nice.

Edit: Attached images because the image host is acting up.

Attachments

• DDXP_pregens.zip
    375.4 KB · Views: 507
  • D&D-mse20080503.zip
    823.7 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 4E_power_cards1.jpg
    4E_power_cards1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 4E_power_cards2.jpg
    4E_power_cards2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:

meandog

First Post
tintagel

No, I just tried again and no. When I click on a file a new exporler window opens up and says click here to down load....I click on it and nothing happens.

One question, when you change the color and look of the cards, do you use a design program, then save it as a image, then put the image in the MSE folder and refence it?
Just trying to learn the process.

Thank again!

meandog

First Post
tintagel

No, I just tried again and no. When I click on a file a new exporler window opens up and says click here to down load....I click on it and nothing happens.

One question, when you change the color and look of the cards, do you use a design program, then save it as a image, then put the image in the MSE folder and refence it?
Just trying to learn the process.

Thank again!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases