Making your own power cards

LightPhoenix

First Post
Bagpuss said:
I downloaded the Tirian stuff for Magic Set Editor, but every time I try and create one I get the following error

Package not found: 'C:\Program Files\Magic Set Editor 2\data\D&D-symbol.mse-symbol-font'

I'm guessing it's because in the video you have a both a "D&D" and a "D&D Tintagel" card set, but I've only downloaded the "D&D Tintagel" set (which is all the video mentions), but it isn't free standing, and must reference that "D&D" set somewhere.

So where can I get the D&D-symbol.mse-symbol-font folder? and/or can you correct the bug so that the Tintagel set is complete in itself?

I know you already found it, but to reiterate for other people having this problem - you need to get Randolph's set as well for the font folder. Then you'll be able to use the symbols.

Bagpuss

Legend
sunspot said:
Hi guys,

I tried to create a blend between a few of the styles so far, and would like to know what you all think. I have thick skin so be nit-picky.

Questions I would like input on:
- Is the side bar interfering with the symmetry?

Love the side bar makes the card easy to read if you are fanning them as opposed to laying them all out on a table (so useful if space is an issue). Also looks like the miniature games cards.

- is the top button better used for action or attack type?

I think action type, like you have it is fine.

- Is it important to insert 'at-will' somewhere (middle tab, maybe) or is the card color enough?

It's good idea, some folks are colour blind and others don't have colour printers.

- Should the 'Wizard Attack 1' stay on the bottom or go in one of the side tabs?

Keep it at the bottom it's not really important in play only when selecting the power.

- And everything else you can think of, please flame vigorously and coherently.

I like it, I'd also like to see a black and white version for folks without colour printers.

Ander00

First Post
Very nice work. However, as it's not quite what I was looking for, I've started tinkering with my own design (incorporating elements of the other sets, like the icons). It's still work in progress, but in case anyone's interested, I've attached some samples of what it looks like right now. Basically, I'm going to stick with a rather simple design and forego fancy graphics, as my printer wouldn't handle them very well anyway.
Also, I have this idea in my head of having the rules text on the card, but prominently featuring amply sized fields where I can fill in any variables so they are available at a glance. A landscape format seems to work best for that.
In case you're wondering, of course Eye Bite is normally an at-will ability, but it would be per encounter for my warlord.

cheers

Attachments

• bastion of defense.png
    bastion of defense.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 313
  • commander's strike.png
    commander's strike.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 269
  • dragon breath.png
    dragon breath.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 242
  • eye bite.png
    eye bite.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 253

beverson

First Post
Ander00 said:
Very nice work. However, as it's not quite what I was looking for, I've started tinkering with my own design (incorporating elements of the other sets, like the icons). It's still work in progress, but in case anyone's interested, I've attached some samples of what it looks like right now. Basically, I'm going to stick with a rather simple design and forego fancy graphics, as my printer wouldn't handle them very well anyway.
Also, I have this idea in my head of having the rules text on the card, but prominently featuring amply sized fields where I can fill in any variables so they are available at a glance. A landscape format seems to work best for that.
In case you're wondering, of course Eye Bite is normally an at-will ability, but it would be per encounter for my warlord.

cheers

I like what you've done there. Are you doing this through the MSE, and if so, would you mind posting the files you are using for it? Thanks!

randolph

First Post
Ander00 said:
It's still work in progress, but in case anyone's interested, I've attached some samples of what it looks like right now.
I like that a lot - simple, uncluttered, effective!

If you need any help implementing your final design in MSE, I'd be happy to be of assistance.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ander, another big thumbs up. One thing I learned last night is that you DEFINITELY want a place on the cards to write the attack and damage for that particular character. A lot of time was spent figuring it out on the fly; having it right on the card would be great.

Ander00

First Post
At the moment it's simply a PSD. I'm not sure I'd bother with an MSE implementation myself, given that I have no experience with that, but of course anyone's welcome to give it a try. I probably won't really have time to fiddle with it until some time next week (hopefully in time for KotS), so in the meantime here's the current file, for anyone who'd like to do something with it.

cheers

Attachments

• power_cards.rar
    147.6 KB · Views: 219

drjones

Explorer
Lots of awesome stuff here but I am confused, I have KoTS and would love to get some cards for the pregens there including the 2nd and 3rd level powers. I tried messing around with MSE before and got nowhere, has anyone compiled such a thing and if so is it in this thread?

Remove ads