Making your own power cards

ZetaStriker

First Post
I'm late to this party, but how am I supposed to get the text-only format to work with MSE? It claims to require a 0.3.6 version before freezing up every time I try to access it, but from what I can tell, 0.3.6 doesn't exist yet. 0.3.5b seems to be the latest.

Ashardalon

First Post
ZetaStriker said:
I'm late to this party, but how am I supposed to get the text-only format to work with MSE? It claims to require a 0.3.6 version before freezing up every time I try to access it, but from what I can tell, 0.3.6 doesn't exist yet. 0.3.5b seems to be the latest.
The text-only template has been updated to the upcoming release, yes. There are several templates in this thread however that have been specifically created for use as power cards (and 0.3.6 should be released soonish).

Important Edit: 0.3.6 isn't as ready as people thought. If any of you have a 0.3.5b version of a template that has been updated to 0.3.6, you should consider uploading it to the appropriate thread in these forums if it hasn't already.

Last edited:

Rafe

First Post
Saishu_Heiki said:
For everyone that wants to make their own power cards for 4e, I have begun to create some as a proof of concept.

I use a program called Magic Set Editor (link) and a form with a full text box (link). It is really easy to differentiate the types of powers. I use bronze for at-will, silver for encounter, and gold for daily. They print out standard size for playing cards and look as good as you want them to look.

I have tested it with the cleric powers (because they had some of the largest text blocks and I wanted to see if it would work even then). I am very happy with the result, and I now have no desire to buy a power deck from WotC.

Cheers!

I may simply be a moron, but how did you get that to work? The full-text template (second link) says it requires v0.3.6 of Magic Set Editor, yet v0.3.5b is the latest possible version. Did you get an older version of the full-text template? If so, could you link to that one? The link provided above causes MSE 2 to crash on me, and warns me that I need to upgrade to the latest version (which hasn't been released).

edit: Okay, just now saw the post above mine. So the full-text version was created with 0.3.5 for what most of you have made or are using, but recently they've gone to 0.3.6? So I'm thinking I'll have to wait for that release before I can use this program. Yea/nay?

Rafe

First Post
Sorry for the double-post, but the version conflicts have been fixed. The full-text template has been fixed for MSE version 0.3.5b, so anyone who had troubles between the original post with links and this morning can now rock and roll.

Thanks to LordPenguin who did the template for the exceptionally fast turn-around time!!

KnightCa

First Post
Heya Sunspot,

Noticed a few errata in your excellent power cards that could be updated. Great work by the way. Please notify us if you update them.

Errata:
Cleric Card - Beacon of Hope: Uses Wisdom vs Will, not a straight +3.
Cleric Card - Channel Divinity (all 3 cards): "The target moves its speed + 2 squares away from" needs to be removed.
Cleric Card - Daunting Light: Uses Wisdom vs Ref, not a straight +3.
Cleric Card - Healing Strike: Uses Will vs Ref, not a straight +4.

tintagel

Explorer
AFCErik said:
Tintagel,

Can you add some icons for free actions (dash, checkmark, x?) and reaction actions (maybe a return arrow like on your enter key on a computer keywobard)? And one for constant effects (infinity symbol, perhaps)?

Thanks!

My new cards have a dash for the Free action. Not sure yet about the other icons - if anyone wants to make them, I would be glad to incorporate those.

Get them here, under Tintagel

Last edited:

GakToid

Explorer
If this has already been discussed, please point me in the correct direction.

You guys have done incredible work. I'm artistically challenged, so I don't have much to contribute in terms of set templates.

It seems silly to have to enter the data for every set. Ideally some type of mail-merge would be cool. Since MSE doesn't support that type of interaction (as far as I can tell) and since the set data is in a zipped raw text format, it seems trivial to create a perl/python script to take a CSV file of all the power data and generate a set file that is compatible with any template. Or at least one template.

The hard part is agreeing on what data should be in the CSV file and then entering it.

I volunteer to help in anyway I can.

Finally, has anyone created a 'printer friendly' template? White backgrounds, solid colors, etc?

-Gak Toid

James McMurray

First Post
These look great, but I've got a couple questions.

1) How do I get the pdfs? When I click on the file links on the page Tintagel linked to I'm given a page that says "click here to download." Unfortunately, when I click there I'm taken to another copy of that page and invited to click again.

2) What's the best way to print these out?

3) Has anyone done something like this on index cards?

tintagel

Explorer
Creative Commons license is back up on the site, with some clarifications. Hopefully, this works for the artists without infringing on WOTC's licenses.

Milo Taproot

First Post
I need to jump in the thread and thank all the template creators; especially tintagel who's template I have used all weekend.

I made cards for all the level 1-2 powers in preparation for the start our upcoming game and am very happy with how the cards turned out; even without the use of "personal" or "free action" symbols.

Though after seeing talk of the new symbols, I am curious when (or if) you are going to post a new version of the template?

If you do post a new template will it going to use MSE2 3.5b or MSE2 3.6?

And if it uses 3.6, do you have any idea if the data sets I built will be compatible?

Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases