Making your own power cards

The Real Aranan

First Post
I'm a little late getting into this discussion, but I went to the shared website and tried to find the working files... it appears they're all gone. Was there a reason for taking down the PSDs and whatnot? Those are what I really wanted :(

Archon of Light

First Post
An Alternate Design

I've been quietly watching this thread for the last few days since the official release. Like many others, I love the idea of using actual cards in play for the new system and admire the effort and talent being displayed here. However, I found that none of these examples really suited my own personal tastes (no offense). But rather than come here and gripe or whine to get others to do something different just for me, I decided to take it upon myself to create my own cards for my home game.

And then show them off here. ;)

The major differences between my own designs and those shared here are: they're not your standard 'trading card'-sized, they're much more (almost painfully) colorful, and they don't utilize a bunch of symbols like a trading card game might use. And rather than waste the backside with a lovely (but ultimately useless) back cover, - I don't think we need to hide the identity of our character's power cards that we intend to use in play - I utilized both sides for game information. Both front and back are printed on the same page, side-by-side so they fold against each other to form a single card without worrying if your printer will line up the paper properly trying to print on both sides. (What a headache that was until I figured that out!)

I've completed an entire set for each class for power levels 1-3. The images below are samples of an at-will, encounter, and daily power. The original documents are in pdf format and print beautifully (though my inkjet cartridges are expected to dry up real fast!). I'm not really looking for suggestions or criticisms since I've done these mostly for myself (and getaway from the more common designs already being offered by others), but I will accept constructive feedback and criticisms. However, if enough people are interested in this as an alternate design to what has been mostly available, I might make them available for those interested.

Attachments

• Sample PowCard 1.jpg
    Sample PowCard 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 856
  • Sample PowCard 2.jpg
    Sample PowCard 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 488
  • Sample PowCard 3.jpg
    Sample PowCard 3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

Gilwen

Explorer
I really like those Archon. I'd be intrested in any of the files you'd like to share. In fact, i'd like to use your card format for some of my own card ideas. Would you be willign to share your working files or post some blank cards for powers and a few blanks in a different colors?

Thanks,

Gil

meandog

First Post
Archon of Light said:
I've completed an entire set for each class for power levels 1-3. The images below are samples of an at-will, encounter, and daily power. The original documents are in pdf format and print beautifully (though my inkjet cartridges are expected to dry up real fast!). I'm not really looking for suggestions or criticisms since I've done these mostly for myself (and getaway from the more common designs already being offered by others), but I will accept constructive feedback and criticisms. However, if enough people are interested in this as an alternate design to what has been mostly available, I might make them available for those interested.

Archon...What program did you use to make them? I would be interested in your files. thank you

Ander00

First Post
dagger said:
What do you print them out on and what with? Just want to make sure mine don't suck. :)
Hrmm, I got what?

Incidentally, due to some printer mishaps, the cards I am using right now do suck (finally printed them on an old inkjet printer that was running out of color and generally not performing too well). Next time I print them out I'll make sure the printer works as it should first, or get a color cartridge for my own.

Other than that, I find that normal paper works well enough for my purposes. I put them in sleeves to add a bit more stability and ensure they are somewhat safe from whatever beverages and snacks are on the game table. You could of course print them on sturdier paper, put cardboard pieces of the same size into the sleeves or what have you.

cheers

Archon of Light

First Post
I feel like I might potentially hi-jack the thread over other conversations, so I might start a new one before long. In the meantime, for those curious few, I used Paint Shop Pro for creating the images, then Word to insert the text in the appropriate areas, and a pdf compiler to convert the document into a format that's optimized for printing.

I used medium-grade cardstock paper for printing (at 600 dpi). Then I cut and folded each one, using basic glue sticks to keep the sides pressed together until I got them laminated at a local office supply store (cost about $1.50 to do a dozen or so cards, but now I don't have to worry about wear and tear, stains, etc. making it more cost effective than reprinting replacements regularly).

If/when I host them elsewhere for download, you'll be able to copy the background images from the pdf file easily enough for your own use. I don't want to make any promises about making special blank sheets available at this time since I'm more focused on making complete sets for all classes at all levels. I guess it really just depends on the response for them. (I'm debating creating my own website for this kind of thing... been debating it for a while. I'm waiting to see what the GSL will allow and whatnot before getting in too deep. I'll keep the interested few posted.)

bonHomm3

First Post
Clean Power Cards

Hey all,

I love all the power cards designed thus far. I've been fooling around with my own; moving around the design elements in the PHB, mirroring (blatantly copying) the style in these cards. I've used bitmaps of the PHB I own for the text to make the whole process move a lot faster. I also love the clean design and didn't think I could improve on it

Another addition I feel is useful is an inclusion of the power category for easier sorting as well as a reference in case of a rules dispute. This will also allow for easy reference to new powers that will inevitably appear in publications outside the core rulebooks.

I've made cards for fighter and paladin classes up to level 5 as High Res PDF. I've only linked one low res jpg though. I'd like to host the PDFs somewhere for everyone to download, any takers?

Jesse

Attachments

• Palladin Powers.jpg
    Palladin Powers.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 843

SBalrog

First Post
@Ander00:

For magic items, I would like to add the price of the item myself, so if you could add a new field for this, it would be appreciated.

The Racial Feat for the Eladrin - Fey Step - has the icon for Minor Action not Move Action in your set file.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases