Making your own power cards

GamesterGX

First Post
Hey ENWorlders

My first post :D. I went for a simplistic approach with my cards, sticking as close as I could to the PHB style of power portrayal.

WARNING: Large image ahead.

Fey Step

GamesterGX

BooleanFlag

First Post
Copy the MSE-SET to a different name.

Open it.

The description field is editable. You can change the + Wisdom to +4 (for example).

If you want an easier way, right click on the HIRAHITO.MSE-SET and rename it to HIRAHITO.ZIP. Use PKZIP or 7-Zip to unzip it into the 'SET' file. This is a raw text file. Edit it however you like using a text editor, then re-zip it and rename it to SET. Then use MSE open and hit 'ALL FILES' and select the SET file.

Viola.

I get what you are saying and I knew that I could do that, but I really like the standard "fill in the blank" boxes on Ander00's cards. With your approach, every time I leveled up I'd have to print new cards. This way I can just erase and re-write just like on a char sheet.

Again, kudos to Ander00.

fsnaig

First Post
Ander00's cards in PDF: http://rapidshare.com/users/66RQHO
- official stuff in seperate files (zipped)
- officail stuff in one file loswer size/quality (zipped)
- unofficial stuff in seperate files (zipped)

Hi,

Although your list of Powers is the most complete of the PDF files for the Ander00 set, when I exported the components as PNG (or other type of graphic) files, each Power didn't export as one PNG file per Power. This is how all of the other PDF files I have seen export. I was wondering why yours are different.

I have been saving and renaming each PNG from previous sets with its correct Power name, which allows customization per character, with just the Powers applicable to that character. This can even be done by pasting the graphic file into a word processing document.

I am a Macintosh user, and am unable to use the MSE Editor, so the PDF files are my only access point to the Power cards.

fsnaig

I took the pdf of Ander's cards and added the fixes, but not the fan created stuff, organized and separated them into the follwing multiple pdfs: Classes (one for each), PHB Races, MM Races (minus the warforged), Epic, Feats & Misc, and Warforged.

Hi,

Your PDF files do not include some of the latest updates by Ander00, namely the Class Features. Is there a chance you could do a file of just those Powers?

fsnaig

Last edited:

MonkeyMage

First Post
Unfortunately it took a fair amount of work for me to even do what I did and given that I don't feel that the other class features warrant power cards, I probably wont get around to adding those in. As it is, I'm probably going to get rid of the Power Attack and Second Wind cards for my uses.

If I get motivated, I'll see what I can do, but since my 4e game just got cancelled, it may be a while.

Grandpa

First Post
Another Stab

Below is a complete (1500+) set of power cards in PDF format made from my own PowerPoint template. It includes powers, class and race features, skills, feats, equipment, magic items, conditions, actions, rituals, and more. These cards were designed to look as though they were ripped directly from the PHB. Like Magic cards, I made them upright and ensured the text size on 95% of the cards was the same as on a typical Magic card. Icons are larger, built from the concepts at the start of this thread and altered to suit my personal tastes. New icons were made for Area and Close powers despite my itch for an official look, to delineate between bursts, blasts, and walls -- per type -- with a standardized visual approach to help new players understand how to use them on the Battlemat. The official icons don't seem to be built with that in mind.

I only plan to support the core books but include templates and tutorials so others can make additions easily, and am happy to feature those additions here. Please let me know about typos and such! If you like the cards, let me know that, too!

Note
My cards use the Calibri font and may not print properly without it. Calibri comes with Windows Vista or Office 2007, and can be downloaded legally for free with PowerPoint Viewer 2007 or the Office Compatibility Pack from Microsoft. Check the Calibri entry on Wikipedia if these links are outdated.

[EDIT - Hey guys, I'm afraid I've had a nice letter from wotC's lawyers about this post, so I'm going to have to remove the copyrighted material. As a reminder, please do not post copyrighted material on EN World. Drop me an email if you have any questions! - Morrus]

Updates
  • 2008/11/02 - Fixed info in Long Jump skill card
  • 2008/11/02 - Added Adventurer's Vault cards (in progress) from Waveblade
  • 2008/10/27 - Added Rituals from Dragon #366 from Waveblade
  • 2008/10/25 - Added Drow and Warlock Dark Pact Powers from Son of Meepo
  • 2008/10/19 - Added Dragon 366 Star Warlock Powers from Son of Meepo
  • 2008/10/13 - Added Genasi powers from Drabix
  • 2008/09/22 - Added Swordmage powers from khaine1969
  • 2008/09/11 - Fixed "crap" to "carp" in Animal Messenger ritual card
  • 2008/09/09 - Fixed errors in Ranger Crucial Advice power and absent level numbers in Ranger level 1 encounter powers
  • 2008/09/02 - Fixed error in Paladin Channel Divinity class feature
  • 2008/08/26 - Added missing info in Sunrod equipment card
  • 2008/08/24 - Added missing info in Raise Dead ritual card

Last edited by a moderator:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I'm looking for Power Card InDesign templates, or atleast the backgrounds and icons in high quality (300dpi) image formats. I only need to create a very small number of these cards and want to make a couple of custom ones.

MSE was too confusing for me, so I'm sure these cards will not be functional enough for most...
I happen to like these very much, thanks, particularly being 1 to a page since I can easily excerpt pages for the ones I need and print 8 to a page but only the ones I need. After some effort getting the MSE thing to work, I realize I don't really need it because I prefer the method you use where someone will write in the specific mods. Except, I actually do like the idea of having cards not only for things like Second Wind but also such things as the 1/encounter abilities you get with multiclassing (e.g. multiclass ranger's 1/encounter hunter's quarry), implement abilities, and so forth. What did you used to originally create these cards before making them into PDFs? Is it something that can be shared so that people like me can make some more that match? I don't necessarily mean the whole lot of powers but enough to use as templates. Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases