Making your own power cards

eloquentaction

First Post
It is easy for us to miss this, but most of the recent good MSE additions, such as Mercutio/Plauge, Ander00, and others allow editing in MSE. It is what makes MSE so powerful compared to pdf or PowerPoint, and why I have spent some time on the wiki.

You can take any of the recent sets and edit in exactly your information, such as your to hit and damage bonus, or your own quotes, etc., because the authors have enabled this. It removes a bit of the edge that Ander00 had in being able to write the values in the boxes - now you can choose between Ander00s excellent streamlined look (and type the values into the boxes) or edit a set like Mercutio's/Plauge's which are busier but really aesthetically pleasing.

Also, making a few cards is simple. For example, you can take Mercutio/Plauge's set and save it as your PC name. Then you remove the powers you don't want at the low levels, keeping the higher levels you might take later. Then you click on add new card and in 3 minutes add a multiclass power from another class, then print exactly the cards you want for this character with your custom info on them. That's amazing, and hat's off to the people doing this!

Last night I made magic item cards using the Lord Tirian design (still may fav for items, though that new design looks good, Mercutio/Plauge), placing pictures from the WotC gallery. Can't wait to hand them out at the next game when they are earned/found. Game-changing tool!

Teos / Alphastream -

Hmmmm..... I put all that work into getting the 7 sidebars in my set and don't even get an honorable mention? ;-)

Just as an FYI for those that are curious, my current set allows up to 7 sidebboxes for additional customizable data. They allow for both the title and the text within the box to be customized.

This data is saved with the card and print out quite nicely.

-- Hirahito

meandog

First Post
Teos / Alphastream -

Hmmmm..... I put all that work into getting the 7 sidebars in my set and don't even get an honorable mention? ;-)

Just as an FYI for those that are curious, my current set allows up to 7 sidebboxes for additional customizable data. They allow for both the title and the text within the box to be customized.

This data is saved with the card and print out quite nicely.

-- Hirahito

I like your cards and I downloaded them but when i use the side bars I get a gray background in the boxes, not the cool dividing lines.

eloquentaction

First Post
I like your cards and I downloaded them but when i use the side bars I get a gray background in the boxes, not the cool dividing lines.

Sorry Meandog!

Yep - the default is a rather ugly gray background that was my first attempt.

Go into the MSE editor and click on the Style button (3rd from the left).

My set has about 18 different things you can change, but the ones you're interested in are the bottom two: Box Type Select and Flourish Fill.

On Box Type Select, Select 'Flourish'. On Flourish Fill you can select Thick or Thin (your choice).

While you're here, you can play around with the other options and you can set how your cards are styled. Not everyone likes the Old English font, for example. I've added 9 different font styles for most different settings.

The next version of the cards I'm going to clean up a bit. I'm *ALMOST* done with the Druid rewrite, so cleaning up the cards is my next project.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! Also - if there are any suggestions you have, let me know and I'll see if I can implement them in the next release.

Here are two examples. The first is my set at default, the second is with some of the options selected.

-- Hirahito

Attachments

• Command.jpg
    Command.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Daunting Light.jpg
    Daunting Light.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

meandog

First Post
Sorry Meandog!

Here are two examples. The first is my set at default, the second is with some of the options selected.

Man that is alot of options, and really cool. So your idea was to use these side boxes to write in your characters attack and damage? What other things would you put in them?
Thanks

Last edited:

Netminder69

First Post
Hmm... i can't seem to find a search function...

has there ever been an image icon created for a Wall effect for use in the MSE? I am making my own cards using Ander's set (a very nice set BTW Ander) and have even made some changes to include other Classes/Races in the drop down boxes he set up. The one thing I haven't been able to find anywhere is a wall icon to use int he attack/effect location in the upper right corner. Anyone know of one? If so, please let me know! :)

Alphastream

Adventurer
Teos / Alphastream -

Honestly, I've been writing my first 4E mod and I wanted to get some cards done for my PC (who a different player will play so we have 5 PCs) and item cards so i can give them cool treasure. I love your design, but I have mentally kept myself from installing it because I know I won't finish the mod if I do.

Now that the bulk of the work is done, I'm gonna do just that. And yes, I would love a tutorial on the MSE file itself. I read about the unzipping part, but I haven't done so nor delved into it. It would be useful to have the wiki at least explain what is going on. It would also let people know that they can change cards even if the text is not easily editable in the card.

Thanks, Hirahito! No slight meant, just giving props to what I've been able to get to so far!

Remove ads