Making your own power cards

Nail

First Post
Lastly: As far as I know, this is just a limitation of printing from PDF. Each card is edge-to-edge black, and I don't know of a way to force Acrobat Reader to print multiple pages next to each other like that. The question is out of my league, unfortunately.
Shucks. :.-(

I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail.

My thought was: "Print out the cards so they touch so that I can laminate and cut them, all in one go." As it is, I'll have to cut them out (with separate cuts around each card), then laminate them individually. (sigh)

Not your fault, Grandpa! Don't mind me, I'm just ranting. :rant:

Shucks. :.-(

I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail.

My thought was: "Print out the cards so they touch so that I can laminate and cut them, all in one go." As it is, I'll have to cut them out (with separate cuts around each card), then laminate them individually. (sigh)

Not your fault, Grandpa! Don't mind me, I'm just ranting. :rant:
Well, there's one thing you can do but it might be a pain in the rear: create a new PPT file with 8.5x11 dimensions (or that of whatever paper you'll be using) and then group, copy, and paste each set of elements making a Grandpa card into the new sheet. Do this so you have 8 sets (cards) and you have full control over layout. Of course if you don't need to print out all of the cards but just a subset, say for your character as a player, it's not that bad. Otherwise, yeah, it is a bit tedious trimming the cards off.

Finally loaded Vista on the mac and now have MSE. I now see why it's so darn awesome.

Ander00's cards have been used from the day he put them in PDF form, but I must say that Hirahito, yours are being printed as I type. I can't wait for the latest versions (request: Hirahito could you please change the colour of the effect cards from Black to something else? they seem to easy to mistake on the table)

Praise & Requests aside for a moment ...

Does anyone else find this thread too difficult to navigate through? I'd love to see individual threads dedicated to each of the main card creators (ie. Ander00, Hirahito, grandpa, etc...). Maybe a "sticky" is in order?

This thread is great don't get me wrong but oddly rendered useless now that the forum is painfully slow, if at all existent at times. [ps. I shouldn't need to spend 20 mins waiting to see if I can go from page 30 in this thread to page 18 just to find the MSE Character Cards... ya they aren't there! /cry]

Alphastream

Adventurer
My new template for items is done. It looks similar to my Power Cards, but allows for a picture to be put into the card. Feedback is always welcome.

I like these a lot. The cards have a great look, and I really like that they have an image on the front.

I'm torn on how useful the two icons are. In the examples you gave I see some utility but also grounds for confusion. It looks like the bottom icon is the slot, which I think works well. The top one is action, but the one with a "-" brings up the problem of how to iconize items with various actions and just general confusion as to whether the icon is to be used just for the special action (Daily vs At-Will or always on).

I've been using the Lord Tirian design for items, as I find the background looks ancient and works well for magic items. The card has a large space for an image, which works well with most items and looks super-cool with the art available via WotC's art gallery (the MIC has tons of useful art).

I've just been typing in the items as I need them for various games. As a DM for home games or LFR I pre-make the items in the mod and then I pass out the cards when the items are found. This has a cool "I got treasure" feel and also speeds up play by allowing the player to have complete knowledge of what the item does.

Teos

Last edited:

eloquentaction

First Post
Thank you! This is quite useful.

I did have to edit the cards - the weapon powers all say '1' or '2' instead of [1W] or [2W]. That only took a few minutes, though.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll go back through the master and make the changes for the next release.

Actually - you pointed out a bug with my Auto-fill program that tries to change all ['s to < and all ]'s >. MSE then eats the stupid <W> because it thinks it is an editing symbol.

I'll have to edit my program and make sure it works correctly for the next release.

-- Hirahito

Last edited:

ulrikbb

First Post
I just printed my first set of power cards, and have got some feedback on them.

I first printed quite a few of Hirahito's set, because it looks so nifty, but in the end, I actually gave them up, because there are not column where you can sort the power cards after the class they belong to and the lever of the power. I had to look through each card and note which I was going to print, and it just got too much. Hirahito, is it possible to add such a column so that it is easier to pick the powers you want to print without browsing them all? They are soo many!

In the end, I printed the ones I needed from Granpa's set, and they look great too. I can't wait to laminate them and hand them out to my players - they are going to be really, really happy, as they almost swooned at the prospect of writing down all the power text on their first 4E session :)

eloquentaction

First Post
I just printed my first set of power cards, and have got some feedback on them.

I first printed quite a few of Hirahito's set, because it looks so nifty, but in the end, I actually gave them up, because there are not column where you can sort the power cards after the class they belong to and the lever of the power. I had to look through each card and note which I was going to print, and it just got too much. Hirahito, is it possible to add such a column so that it is easier to pick the powers you want to print without browsing them all? They are soo many!

In the end, I printed the ones I needed from Granpa's set, and they look great too. I can't wait to laminate them and hand them out to my players - they are going to be really, really happy, as they almost swooned at the prospect of writing down all the power text on their first 4E session :)

The 3rd edition of my cards SHOULD have a LEVEL, CLASS/RACE, FREQUENCY, ATTACK/UTILITY, ACTION, RANGE/AREA, and ORIGINAL SOURCE columns (as well as the name and Card #) columns to sort on.

Are these not showing up?

I'm certainly seeing them in mine when I open my set in MSE.

Can someone else download my latest set and see if those columns are showing up? I'm afraid I might have a biased set based on the fact I'm editing it all the time.

-- Hirahito

meandog

First Post
Can someone else download my latest set and see if those columns are showing up? I'm afraid I might have a biased set based on the fact I'm editing it all the time.

-- Hirahito[/quote]

Yea I can see them, If you can not you need to right click on the columns and add them in.

KnightCa

First Post
The 3rd edition of my cards SHOULD have a ORIGINAL SOURCE columns (as well as the name and Card #) columns to sort on.

-- Hirahito

Nice work Hirahito. How do we modify the Original Source column. I'd like to include such a column in my set, but not sure how its modified. I can't just double click on the column entry to change it. Any ideas?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases