In Honor of EGG: Create a Gygaxian Trap/Encounter/Dungeon

Reynard

Legend
Hopefully, we all can use these in our next regularly scheduled D&D games (whatever edition) as a tribute to EGG.

A Most Shocking Experience

Deep in the dungeon, there is a golden statue, the lifelike depiction of a forgotten god(dess), a great hero(ine) or some other such thing. By weight alone it must be worth a hundred thousand gold pieces or more. But those that built it intended to protect it. As such, they bound a lightning paraelemental into the statue's core. Though undetectable by regular means, electrical power courses through the statue and even the slightest touch causes the offender to be hit with the equivalent of a 10th level lightning bolt. If a character fails the save (spell, reflex, whatever) the character not only takes full damage but is paralyzed by the current and takes the same damage on successive rounds unless the save is made (at a penalty -- maybe -2 -- each round of failure). Any other character touching such an affected character is subect to the attack as well. The trap may only be overcome by banishing the paraelemental to its native plane of existence. Extremely observant charcters (high DC or penalty to appropriate NWP, or simply a 1 in 20 -- 2 in 20 for elves -- roll) will notice that there are an unusually large amount of dead insect on the statues base.

paradox42

First Post
A Truly Wondrous Fountain

In an old dungeon of mine, I once put in a magical fountain that had the same effects on anybody drinking from it, as a Wand of Wonder (now a Rod of Wonder in 3.X). Also, you could take water from it and it would have the same effect later on- literally becoming Potions of Wonder.

Glyfair

Explorer
I'll consider this, but I'm busy prepping for 2 games this weekend (a 4E preview and a Star Wars Saga).

I have to admit, my absolute favorite idea I read for a Gygax tribute was to have a tomb built for him surrounded with the deadliest traps known to mankind. Not realistic, but somehow appropriate.

ruleslawyer

Would there be a false Gygax wielding a bunch of dice, one gold and one silver? An open-mouthed carving of Rob Kuntz's face with a sphere of annihilation built into it?

Okay, my post-modern AD&D adventure is half done!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases