D&D 4E manual of the planes 4e

LordArchaon

Explorer
yipwyg42 said:
Please tell me the creature on the cover of the book is actually in the book. :)

Here is the product link

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/218937200

I would bet it, cause it's a classic: Astral Dreadnought. It's on the 3.0 Manual of the Planes and also on the 3.0 Psionics Handbook if I remember correctly:
Astral Dreadnought in Manual of the Planes Art Gallery
I don't know much about previous editions, but I bet that it comes from 2e Planescape...

Soel

First Post
I like Tony D's version of the Dreadnought from Planescape Monstrous Supplement 2, but I am actually jazzed for this book, as opposed to the 3e version, which I never bothered with (as well as the Planar Handbook, just left it on the shelves.)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Mouseferatu said:
Nope. Because it's also on the cover of the 1E MotP.
Obscure monster trivia: Curiously, that creature was called an "ethereal dreadnought" in the 1st Edition Manual of the Planes (see the first Illusions/Phantasms example on p19). It only became known as an astral dreadnought with the publication of the 1991 AD&D trading cards, where it was merely a large creature. It reappeared as the astral dreadnought in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II and again in the 3rd Edition Manual of the Planes).

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Klaus said:
And that cover rocks a fair ammount, I reckon.

Yep, my buddy bought the book back in 1987 simply because of the cover (I don't think he ever actually read it).

I originally thought it was the Astral plane itself taken a form to attack the poor schmuck on the cover.

Mercule

Adventurer
Echohawk said:
Obscure monster trivia: Curiously, that creature was called an "ethereal dreadnought" in the 1st Edition Manual of the Planes
Then I'm not insane. I recognized it as an ethereal dreadnought, but everyone else was calling it astral. Of course, I did the 1E MotP and skipped Planescape and all the planar lore that is descended from it.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Atlatl Jones said:
It was on the cover of the 1e Manual of the Planes. The 4e cover is an homage to it.
It was on the cover, but IIRC there's only a passing mention of it and no stats in that book.

Remove ads