Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What baffles me is why these opinions, if so strongly held, weren't published and publicized while Mr. G was still alive and able to defend himself.

Waiting until after his death just makes this the cheapest of cheap shots.

Sigh.

Lanefan

Krug

Newshound
I guess guys like this play devil's advocate just to get attention. WOW the direct descendant of D&D?? Oh please..

DrunkonDuty

he/him
eh. The guy is entitled to his opinion. As it is, a lot of games get played this way. A lot don't. Blaming (or praising) the system for this is silly. Almost all RPGs are based upon the premise of "kill it and take its stuff." (KIATIS) And we can point at Space Invaders for an early example of video games doing this, so DnD is hardly alone. Heck, its in the literature. From Gilgamesh on forwards (although the better examples go further than this.)

Wouldn't worry about it, the guy is obviously a recent grad from journalism school looking to cause controversy and get a bit of notice. Although you'd think he'd pick a bigger topic, one likely to garner attention from a wider audience. He probably thinks he's hard hitting and uncompromising. Once again I say "eh."

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Slate is a piece of ****. These guys just likes to push peoples' buttons. The writers have been pwned so many times on that site, their names should all be Tiffany.

Edit: No offense to any posters by the name Tiffany. It's a MAD TV reference. If you get it great. If not, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases