Dreaming Screamer (how's that for a spiffy name?)

the Jester

Legend
Here's one that started with the name...

Dreaming Screamer
Large Outsider (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (85 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 0’
AC: 20 (-1 size, +4 natural, +7 deflection)
Attacks: None
Damage: Nil
Face/Reach: 5’x5’/10’
Special Attacks: Aura of slumber, scream, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Immunities, incorporeal, vulnerabilities
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +12
Abilities: Str -, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 25, Wis 20, Cha 25
Skills: Knowledge (three at +20, seven at +17) (Any fifteen; possibilities include Arcana, Geography, History, the Planes, Religion, Mathematics, Warfare, Nobility and Royalty, Etiquette, Crime, Cities, Nature, Anatomy, Clockwork, Dragons, Undead, etc.) [Note: Skill Focus is house ruled to +3, included here.]
Feats: Skill Focus (Knowledge: any three)
Climate/Terrain: Any
Organization: Solitary or howl (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 8?
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement Range: By character class
Description: A dreaming screamer is a strange humanoid creature from the Plane of Dreams that has somehow manifested slightly on the Material Plane. A dreaming screamer knows a great deal and has great powers that may be tapped by others if conditions are right, but this relies on powerful magic and a great deal of luck. A dreaming screamer looks like a 10’ tall humanoid with bright green skin and an elongated head shaped something like a teardrop. It has enormous bulging eyes, but these are shut and move beneath the lids. A dreaming screamer is obviously asleep. The creature cannot be wakened by any known means. A dreaming screamer typically manifests for 1d12 hours in a given location and then fades away, but there are tales of dreaming screamers that have remained in the same location for decades or even centuries. Unfortunately, any creature observing the dreaming screamer is immediately subject to its aura of slumber.
Combat: Dreaming screamers don’t initiate combat. In fact, they are considered helpless while manifest on the Material Plane, as they’re sleeping. However, any creature that can see or even scry the dreaming screamer is subject to its aura of slumber, and every 1d6 rounds the creature utters a bloodcurdling scream that can cause a great deal of harm to creatures around it. In addition, if attacked, a dreaming screamer will reflexively use certain magical defenses, as noted below.
Aura of Slumber (Su): Any creature that observes the dreaming screamer must make a Will save, DC22, or fall into a deep slumber typified by vivid, colorful dreams. This sleep lasts for eight hours, at which point the victim receives a Will save, DC22, to awaken. If this save fails, the creature remains asleep for eight more hours. Often, a dreaming screamer is surrounded by the corpses of dead creatures without the willpower to break free of the slumber before starving to death or dying of dehydration. Even if a creature makes its initial saving throw against the aura, it must make another saving throw at the end of every ten minutes with the dreaming screamer in view.
Scream (Su): Every 1d6 rounds the screamer will shriek out a blood-chilling scream that requires all creatures within a 50' spread around it to make a Will save (DC22) to avoid being panicked for 1d10 rounds and taking 1d10 points of temporary Wis damage. Creatures affected by the aura of slumber are immune to the effects of the scream, and will occasionally scream themselves when the dreaming screamer does.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): If the dreaming screamer is attacked, it will use the following spell-like abilities to defend itself: Stoneskin, Repulsion, Greater Dispelling, and Shades. It will generally use them in that order, and simply casts them over and over again, not able to break out of its dreaming loop to use its vast intellect.
Immunities (Ex): A dreaming screamer is immune to sonic effects, compulsions, illusions other than shadows, electricity, polymorphing, and petrification.
Vulnerabilities (Ex): A dreaming screamer is vulnerable to spells such as banishment, dismissal, etc. If the dreamer screamer is successfully charmed, it will cease screaming and become quiescent as long as it is not the victim of further hostile action (until the charm’s duration expires). If the dreamer is the subject of a successful Detect Thoughts spell, the caster may make knowledge checks as the dreamer, although he won’t know what knowledge skills it has. It is rumored that some powerful enchanters and mindbenders have used a dreaming screamer to dream travel somehow.
Characters: Some dreaming screamers have character levels. As they are just temporary manifestations on the Material Plane, a dreaming screamer can have any number or combination of classes.

What do you think for a CR on that one?

Last edited:

rackabello

First Post
Evocative and inventive, Jester!

Some thoughts:
  • Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and have a deflection bonus equal to their Cha bonus instead of natural armor.
  • I believe the Will save should be +12, unless you intended the Sreamer to have Iron Will instead of one of the Skill Focus feats?
  • What is the Scream's area of effect?
  • The Con damage for the scream seems high to me. I can't think of many creatures capable of inflicting so much ability damage. In addition, I think Wisdom damage would fit the concept better, in addition to making its Aura of Slumber more deadly.
  • Are creatures under the influence of the screamer's Aura of Sleep subject to the scream as well?
  • Quibble: I think we can do better than 'bevy' for a group of these creatures. a quick visit to Roget's yielded the following suggestions: delirium, figment, phantom (synonyms for dream); wail, howl, sigh (for scream)
  • Quibble: Have you considered changing the creature's name to "Screaming Dreamer?"
I'm guessing Edward Munch is your inspiration here?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
rackabello said:
Evocative and inventive, Jester!

Some thoughts:
  • Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and have a deflection bonus equal to their Cha bonus instead of natural armor.
  • I believe the Will save should be +12, unless you intended the Sreamer to have Iron Will instead of one of the Skill Focus feats?
  • What is the Scream's area of effect?
  • The Con damage for the scream seems high to me. I can't think of many creatures capable of inflicting so much ability damage. In addition, I think Wisdom damage would fit the concept better, in addition to making its Aura of Slumber more deadly.
  • Are creatures under the influence of the screamer's Aura of Sleep subject to the scream as well?
  • Quibble: I think we can do better than 'bevy' for a group of these creatures. a quick visit to Roget's yielded the following suggestions: delirium, figment, phantom (synonyms for dream); wail, howl, sigh (for scream)
  • Quibble: Have you considered changing the creature's name to "Screaming Dreamer?"
I'm guessing Edward Munch is your inspiration here?

Good lord, I missed a lot on this one, didn't I?? It's all because it didn't start out incorporeal but that particular inspiration occurred midway through the creation process...

All right, I'll go do some editing!

Good questions and points about the scream, I'll go wtih your suggestion for wis damage, too.

About the will save- actually, I mixed up int & wis when I was figuring in its ability bonus, thanx for catching it!

Your quibbles- I like the idea of changing the bevy to a howl, sounds about right. But I like Dreaming Screamer better. Screaming dreamer rolls off the tongue a little better, but I like the fact that saying the name Dreaming Screamer makes your tongue kind of stall in the middle, it just feels more "alien" to me.

And no particular inspiration on this one, sorry!

Remove ads