[OT] Sep. 11th was the day that I...

Wormwood

Adventurer
Re: It's...

ghoti69 said:

We were let go early, but I was damned if I was going to let those bastards cow me. I went home and worked remotely while watching the news.

You know, I find that interesting. My company also gave us a half day, but I decided to get some work done while at home.

I thought I was the only one.

Vargo

First Post
Given the day, I figured it would be appropriate to bump this thread, so that those who missed it earlier could read and add their own experiences.

MEG Hal

First Post
I am purposely NOT watching TV today, I know what happened, and I do not need to rewatch that day. I was off on 9/11/01 but got paged and told I may need to come in to work ( I am in law enforcement for the state of Florida-full time), my ex-wife called me (knowing I was sleeping) and told me to turn on the TV, the president was in my area where I work (Sarasota) and I was glued to the TV, could not believe it and watched the drama unfold for the whole day, I was relieved I did not have to work that day because it was a mentally draining experience, but now thinking about work and all the warnings for 9/11/02 I also am acutely aware that something may happen again, the good news is we are better prepared and ready to do something.

Now come visit Florida so tourism increases and they stop threatening our jobs

To all of those that lost loved ones (I had close calls but no losses here) I am thinking of you. And to those that had something to do with it......I have good aim, step a bit closer.

I will never forget!

toberane

First Post
Sept. 11 was the day I...

I was in the car taking my son to school when I heard about it. Most of the rest of what I did that day is similar to what so many others have posted here.

So I want to take a different angle at this.

September 11th 2001 was the day...:

-That people, not just in New York City, but across the country, decided to treat each other a little nicer, at least for a while.

-That Americans remembered why we are proud of our country and our freedom

-That Americans remembered what our flag stood for. Call it jingoism if you will, but I see nothing wrong with millions of Americans not only deciding they were proud of their country, but wanted to go out of their way to display its symbol to show that pride.

-That policemen and firemen got a little bit of the recognition they have always deserved for the difficult and dangerous jobs they do.

-That friends remembered friends, that relatives called each other up to say, "hi," that people gained a little perspective on the things in their lives that are really important.

-That I saw all the best things that make us Americans--Courage, Compassion, Determination, Love, and Support, to name just a few.

America may have its drawbacks, and it will always have its detractors, both from within and without, but it's my home, and I love it. Most of us here do. And many of us had begun to take it for granted, that it would always be there and that nothing could threaten us.

September 11 was the day that I learned what it meant to be an American.

Vargo

First Post
Here's a poem I wrote on the 11th, as details started to come out about Flight 93:

Scared terrified
i want to see my
Knowing I will die
one more time
Knowing we will all die
i want to hold my
We charge to the front
one more time
Not for us
But for those that will come after.

At the time, I was thinking about what must have gone through their minds as they charged the cockpit - how they might have held false hope that somehow their plane was different, that they would see their loved ones again - but knowing, ultimately, that they were as doomed as the others, and took their own destiny back from the hijackers.

A hero is somebody who stands up against tyrrany, no matter the personal cost.

hammymchamham

First Post
September 11th 2001 was a day I cried a lot. September 11th was also a day I was worried about my father, since once I found out about it, at about 8:30 AM Central, I tried to call my mother and got a busy signal. After class (which started at 9:00 am) I found out the towers have fallen. I was shocked and saw a replay on TV, and was still shocked. I borrowed a friends phone, got ahold of my mother, and found out my dad was safe in Washington DC and could see the smoke from the Pentagon.

September 11th was the day I realized who the true heros are: not my dwarven fighter in DnD or the Luke Skywalkers of movies. But the firefighters, the police, the military, and those on Flight 93 who decided to prevent the cowards from carrying out their 'divine'* mission.

Just thinking of what those cowards did one year ago makes my blood boil and tears fall. I have never personally been to NYC, but I did see the towers 10 years ago when my family visited the Statue. I vageuly remember it. And its sad for me that I will never be able to visit those monuments. And sad for the world that those people are no longer with us. Those police no longer protecting New Yorkers. Those firefighters rescuing more people.

* I am sure this is how they saw it.

Remove ads