[OT] Sep. 11th was the day that I...

angramainyu

Community Supporter
Sorry for the slash-job on the posts above, but this isn't the place for political commentary. I did however want to keep the thread open if possible, so a quick clean-up seemed like the best solution.

For me, I'll always associate Sept 11 with the message boards. I spend most of the day trying to help the people here who had access to news sources pass along information to those who didn't. A lot of places on the internet fell into chaos, but I was proud to be part of a community that really showed how much caring and compassion there can be.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
My brother-in-law called me, and I got to a TV. I started watching just as the plane hit the second tower.

I kept thinking - "they can repair those towers, but the loss of life is unreal..."

When the first tower fell, I remember thinking, oddly - "well, the other tower is still standing." And then it fell, too. It made me sick and angry - the loss of life, the loss of two of our most recognizable buildings, the marring of the most famous skyline in the world, the sheer destruction right in the heart of our largest and most famous city. The last thing on my mind was political ramifications.

The Pentagon attack also made me angry, but it also baffled me in a way - I kept thinking that nobody could possibly believe that destroying the Pentagon would cripple our military. I guess the symbolism of it didn't occur to me at the time.

Last edited:

Furn_Darkside

First Post
I had come to work a bit late, and was irritated that the internet seemed to be down- again. A regular occurence at my work place, but I did not pull the pieces together til later.

I was about to leave for a programmer meeting when one of my coworkers had come in: "Did you hear a plane hit one of the trade towers?!"

I immediately thought of the plane hitting the empire state building long ago- and shrugged it off. I hoped as few people would die as possible, but I figured the incredibly high near collision rate of air planes in NYC had finally led to a disaster.

At the long boring meeting, we saw other people rushing by the building to the main building on campus. One of the other geeks asked what was happening, and I casually mentioned the "accident" .

We decided to leave the meeting and go to the faculty parlor and watch television. I spent the rest of the day there watching to ABC. That was when the truth of the situation finally hit me- and I watched the fall of the towers.

That was probably the first night I had ever felt lonely in my whole life.

FD

Chromnos

First Post
I was interviewing in DC for a job with the Diplomatic Security Service. Needless to say, my cell phone was going off like every firework in the whole goddamn Chinese New Year.

Three days later, I got a job at Janes editing their Terrorism, WMD, and Public Safety material. Been swamped ever since.

-C

Dr Midnight

Explorer
angramainyu said:
That's okay... Apparently I can't make a post with-out making a typo.

Damb.
I'll bet you intended to type "Michael" or something when you registered your screen name. :D

Sorry, I needed to make this one OT post.

Storm Raven

First Post
Rav said:
Storm raven, I don't want a political discussion. I stated how I felt. It just feels that way, that not taking place in any of those things the US feels isolationistic to me and lots of my countrymen. Please edit out your political commentary, as I did mine. This thread has a different topic. To me, sptember 11 conjured up those feelings.

The commentary was edited before I looked back in the thread.

But let me just say this: you stated several things as facts (not feelings) that were facially incorrect. In the future, if you want to avoid responses that correct you on things like this, get your facts right the first time.

Remove ads