[OT] Sep. 11th was the day that I...

Storm Raven

First Post
angramainyu said:
Sorry for the slash-job on the posts above, but this isn't the place for political commentary. I did however want to keep the thread open if possible, so a quick clean-up seemed like the best solution.

Of course you can clean up stuff like that.

But I will point out that my comments were mostly legal. As in, providing accurate legal information about government processes.

shouit

Explorer
I was at the gym, riding an exercise bike before I go into work. At first, I thought they were showing scenes from the previous attack on WTC, then I saw the other plane come in. I was amazed and shocked. I came into work and told my boss, who didn't believe me, and then the whole plant, I work for IBM, was told to stay off the internet and that they will give us news updates via intercom. Did we stay off? Nope. They had turned on all the plant monitors to TV stations and we just watched all day long.

Terraism

Explorer
I was... yeah, I was here. Our school refused to give us any information, and actually went so far as to turn off the TVs from the main something-or-other. (No, I don't pay too much attention to where and what. That's not the point.) They also blocked just about every website they could think of that was related to news - the New York Times, the LA Tribune, etc. (Why they didn't just turn off the 'Net, I'm not sure.) But, they didn't block EN World - and I managed to come up with more news than just about anyone I encountered in the school; first - and only - time I've spent a class with permission to be reading the boards. I remember having a conversation with my Model UN advisor about what exactly the conferences this year were going to look like; I remember our crosscountry coach absolutely wild that the meet'd been called off that evening. It's kinda odd - I remember almost the entire school day, but once I got home, I don't remember anything. Hmm..

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Terraism said:
and I managed to come up with more news than just about anyone I encountered in the school; first - and only - time I've spent a class with permission to be reading the boards.

Terra- I remember that. Whilst we sat around my class watching the news everyone was trying to get to CNN.com or MSNBC.com and of course, those sites were down.

So- I came here, and I played the role of news reporter to the class as I was getting info from the boards here. I think I got more info from here before it was even reported on the TV or anywhere else.

King_Stannis

Explorer
9/11 capped off one of our busiest times at work. some of our investment people have bloomburg terminals and we watched everything on bloomburg TV. i checked in on the boards, too. one thing i'll remember for a while are the experiences of our dearly departed chairman_kaga, who got to witness the horror firsthand. of all the firsthand accounts i saw on tv, it's his written testimony that painted the vividness of that day.

since then it's been a fairly rotten year. my neighbor, my grandmother and the chairman have all died since 9/11. my back has pretty much totally given out during this past year, leading me down the road to surgery very soon.

tarchon

First Post
buzzard said:
On September 11th I got married. Mind you that was back in 99, but it certainly makes for lousy anniversaries. OTOH, I suspect I will have an easy time with dinner reservations in the future.
My (American) cousin got married that day too, to her Tunisian boyfriend. I don't expect forgotten anniversaries will be a problem.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Furn_Darkside said:

Ugh, I am sorry to read that. I hope everything works out for you.

FD

thanks, FD. i see the neurosurgeon tomorrow to discuss options, but with one of my disks herniated it's looking like surgery is going to be the only solution.

I was sleeping in my dorm. I woke up and moved to the large common room where what looked like a party was going on around the TV. A friend told me what happened, but being a wacky college student I thought he was joking. I wandered over to the couch in my PJ's just in time to see the second plane hit the towers.

After I realized it wasn't a joke i was pretty much slack-jawed all day. Mournfull I couldn't help, angry and wanting revenge, but the primary thing going through my mind was: There are still 2 planes missing, one headed vaguely north. They arent hitting symbols of freedom, but symbols of business. My dad works at the John Hancock building in Chicago.

I retreated to my room and opened up the ENworld chat. TV was playing the same speculations over and over, but in the chat room all the international news was flying. Having friends to talk too helped.

I was nervous all day because of the confused reports of how many planes were hijacked. The only good part of that day was the way my heart soared when those brave American civilians decided they would rather die than be a part of another attack.

Oh, and I changed my oil.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases