Burst / blast?

AidyBaby

First Post
Apologies, I'm sure this has been asked before (and I can't find the forum search) but can someone explain blasts and bursts for me, such as Burst 1 or Close Blast 5?

What's the shape of a burst and a blast? What does the 'Close' definition refer to?

Cheers.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
A burst radiates out a number of squares from a target square. So if it is a personal burst of 2, it would affect every square within two of you.

A blast is a number of squares (5x5 etc) that are put anywhere adjacent to the creature blasting.

Note: you no longer target intersections in 4th Ed.

LostInTheMists

First Post
Steely Dan said:
A blast is a number of squares (5x5 etc) that are put anywhere adjacent to the creature blasting.

Mind if I ask where you got this info (at DDXP, rules release, came to you in a dream)? I hadn't seen this anywhere before. Maybe I just missed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the info (I had been using the blast as a line with a range of X), but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Revinor

First Post
Steely Dan said:
A burst radiates out a number of squares from a target square. So if it is a personal burst of 2, it would affect every square within two of you.

I thought that blast is like 3e lightning bolt (straight line from the caster), but your info makes more sense. First, cone of cold is blast 5 (if you put it near to you, if will look 'conish'), second, probably more important, doing straight line effects between two squares is very hard on battlemap (too much discussions if 45% square covered is in area of attack or not).

So, 'Close Blast 5' is same as 'Area Burst 2 within 3 squares', just with Area Burst you have a possibility to put center closer to you than max range ?

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Revinor said:
So, 'Close Blast 5' is same as 'Area Burst 2 within 3 squares'?

As an example:

Area 3 within 10, would mean you choose a square within 10 squares of you, and it bursts out from there 3 squares.

keterys

First Post
Blast 5 from @

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX@

Burst 2 within 10 from @

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX....@
XXXXX
XXXXX

Close Burst 2 is everything within 2 of you, which can create different shapes for larger creatures... so from a Large Dragon (D)

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXDDXX
XXDDXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Remove ads