What's on your mind?
+ Log in or register to post
Results 1 to 10 of 386
Monday, 17th March, 2008, 09:44 PM #1
Cutpurse (Lvl 5)
4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08(right click, save link as...)
Was the 4E PHB Lite
Final Update, Version 2.7 of the Pre-release Rules Compilation is now available.
May 29, 2008
With only a week to go until the Core Ruleset is available, v2.7 will be the final update for the PrRC. There are known errors contained within the PrRC, but there is no promotional or preview material to correct the errors with. Scoops and internet chatter are referencing the core rulebooks now, so there is little new information that can be added to the PrRC. It is no long PRE-release.
It’s been a pleasure to work with the community to compile the known information about 4e pre-release, and I heartily thank all those that took the time to report errors and inconsistencies, or to provide scoops to be added. I sincerely hope the PrRC has helped gamers with their preparations for 4e, and that they are looking forward to the official launch as much as I am.
I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank the designers and developers at WotC for all the hard work they have put into 4e to improve and reinvigorate our hobby. As much as I’ve enjoyed putting together the PrRC, I’m really looking forward to start my new campaign with ALL the rules, if the tidbits you’ve been showing us over the last year are any sign of what is around the corner!
If I ever make it to Gen Con, please say ‘Hello!’
All the best,
This document is a collection of preview and promotional material of D&D Fourth Edition from numerous sources, including:
• Wizards of the Coast D&D website http://www.wizards.com
• D&D XP Quick Start Rules http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/news_20080228.zip
• Scalegloom Rules Appendix http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221113
• WotC Pre-generated characters from D&D XP http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Exp...Characters.zip
• Transcribed photos of pages from the Core Books previewed at D&D XP as promotion
• Many EnWorld Forum posts
• Many WotC/Gleemax Forum posts
Remember this is all based on preview material, subject to change when the 4E Core Ruleset is released June 6 2008. Where there was disagreement on the board posts about a particular rule or feature I attempted to find the most well supported argument (especially the point-buy system, where there is still debate if it is a 28 point-buy like 3.5E). I have attempted to keep speculation to a minimum, but there are some places where enough data has not yet been previewed. A notable exception is the Warlord class. Areas of particular uncertainty are flagged by ? or [ ] punctuation, or outlined in a box.
Remember this is only a tiny fraction of the whole game, so please don't judge 4e by the limited view here. I have to stress that YOU CANNOT JUDGE 4E BY THE Pre-release Rules Compiliation (aka the PHB LITE), it is assembled from potentially outdated preview material and some pretty clever guess-work by fans, but that is all. It gives impatient fans a single place to see what has been revealed (and what might be deduced), and it can give you an idea how it "might" play, but for goodness sake, wait until you get your hands on the real PHB in June before you make any final conclusions.
Errors and disagreements will abound! I will be collecting any errata people post here and updating the file at some point. Thanks to everyone who spots an inconsistency and takes the time to help improve the document.
A Note about Keep on the Shadowfell
Preview copies of the first 4e adventure, Keep of the Shadowfell, have been arriving at RPG stores in early May. There is a wealth of ‘crunchy’ rules and powers contained within the 80 pages of adventure and 16 page quick start rules. As much as I would love to include those details here, I won’t be adding any details to the PrRC from sources that are not released as part of the 4e preview and promotional campaign, unless someone from Wizards of the Coast says it is okay (email me! email@example.com).
Things I will be doing as a result of the KotS information:
Removing incorrect information
Correcting minor details about powers already revealed in another preview or promotional source
Adding names of powers with the note (See KotS)
For a discussion about KotS reveals, see Thalmin’s thread.
Here are some other useful links to play a level 1 fan demo game
PrRC will complement ThirdWizards excellent Monsters and More PDF
Monsters and More
Keterys' Original 4e Monsters, compiled by VBMEW-01
Download the Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures RPG stats for Dungeons of Dread .
Neceros' 4e Character Sheets Now available in Landscape
PeelSeel2's Retro 4e Character sheet Version 2
VBMEW-01's "Original Creations Compilation" thread
Make your own Power Cards
**NEW** The 4E Fan Publishing site has amazing completed Power Cards generated from the Make Your Own Powercards thread.
Additional 1st Level Characters using PrRC
4e Fan-Made or Converted Adventures
Raiders of Oakhurst Adventure
Raiders of Oakhurst - Reloaded
Second Son Adventure
Return of the Burning Plague
Children of Solgan
NEW! Expedition to the Feywild
Edit May 29.08
•Added Warlord powers Viper’s Strike, Leaf on the Wind, Aid the Injured, and Steel Monsoon. (Tiefling Warlord pregen)
• Corrected Tactical Assault feat description. (Tiefling Warlord pregen)
• Corrected Cleric’s Healing Word (the + Wis is from Healing Lore, not as part of Healing Words).
• Hide armor has a -1 armor check penalty (Tiefling Warlord pregen)
• Removed +1 Reflex from Halflings, added +1 Reflex to Paladin (undoes the change made in v2.2) (Paladin sheet from Wired blog).
• Added Iron Will feat (+2 Will defense). (Wired blog)
• Confirmed short sword is +3 proficiency (FreeXenon quotes Scott TheRouse http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=226951 and Peter Shaffer’s reply, same thread)
• Changed spelling of Orcus from Ocrus (Fiendish Dire Weasel)
• Directed reader to KotS for concealment rules.
• Added Readied Actions (Logan Bonner http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?...8&postcount=20
• Updated Burst diagrams to read “Ranged Burst” instead of “Area Burst” or just Burst (Logan Bonner http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?...59&postcount=8)
• Edited fighter’s combat challenge (based on MindWanderer’s interpretation).
• Added Warlord’s Inspiring Words (Tiefling warlord pregen). Edited cleric’s healing word so it does not add +Wis HP (which seems to be from “Healing Lore” class feature).
Edit (May 21.08)
Updated to v2.6
• Added Magic Items excerpt, and Flaming, Phasing, and Holy Avenger magic weapons.
• Added Quests excerpt
• Ability score increases every 4 levels, +1 to two scores. At tier levels (11 and 21), add +1 to all stats (Thalmin)
• Added Githzerai, Gnoll, Hobgoblin, a second shifter type, to the list of playable monster races (Rechan).
• Added feat Two-Weapon Fighting (exact mechanic unknown). (Thalmin)
• Blinded condition gives -10 to perception checks.
• Justicair’s Just Radiance is Close Burst 5, not melee weapon (MindWanderer)
• Gnomes hinted to get +2 Int, +2 Cha (Logan Bonner)
• Changed Scalemail to Scale in armor table (Gavinfoxx).
• Added paragon path names (no details): Spellstorm mage, Iron Vanguard, Battle Archer, Battle Captain, Astral Weapon (Jonathan Tweet’s blog, http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/C...6blogid%3D2076)
• Only two actions provoke OAs: Moving out of a square when an enemy is adjacent to you. Making a ranged attack. (DimitriX quoting a response from WotC to his question http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?...05&postcount=4
• Roll a recharge check per power (not one roll for all powers). “Roll a d6 if it equals any shown recharge number, the power recharges” Chris Sims
• Minion HP: “Minions interact normally with temporary hp rules (that's one reason why they have 1 hp).” (Chris Sims, http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=226755)
• Noted potions normally take a minor action to use, but administering a potion to someone else is a standard action. (KotS FAQ).
Edit (May 15.08)
Updated to v2.5
• Added Epic Destinies to the Classes chapter, and the Archamage to the Wizard entry, from the excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080512a)
• Added Rewards excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080514a)
• Added magic item cost table derived by Keterys and Lurker59 from the Rewards excerpt.
• Added ability array 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 (KotS pregens)
• Standing up from prone does not provoke OA (D’karr)
• Confirmed Half-elves take an at-will power from another class and make it an encounter power (mearls).
• Added a bonus language to half-elves , humans, halflings,
• Added +2 Endurance, +2 Dungeoneering to dwarf skill bonuses (KotS)
• Wizards have 4 trained skills, Fighters have 3 (KotS)
• Added feat names Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Channel Divinity: Armor of Bahamut, and Healing Hands with a “See KotS” note.
• Added all power names from KotS pregens, with note See KotS (no power details will be included in PrRC, at this time).
• Class Skills: Wizard + Dungeoneering, + Religion; Fighter + Intimidate; Paladin + Endurance, +Intimidate,
• Changed longsword proficiency bonus to +3, quarterstaff +2,
• Armor Check Penalties apply to Endurance as well.
• Divine Fortune does a flat +1 bonus to saves, not +Cha.
• Turn undead pushes undead 6 squares, not 5.
• Correct Paladin’s Divine Challenge (KotS)
• Paladin’s Lay on Hands can be used Wis modifier/day (Mearls). Paladin’s Shielding Smite and Bolstering Smite use Cha, not Str, for attack vs AC (Mindwanderer).
• Added Skill Challenge Complexity Table (1-3).
• Added Giant to the languages list (Giant excerpt http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080512b), and Deep Speech (Swordwing excerpt http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080502b)
• Lava does not instantly kill (Mindwanderer, quoting Peter Schaeffer’s blog).
Edit (May 9.08)
Updated to v2.4
Edit (May 5):
Updated to v2.3
Edit (May 1):
Updated to v2.2
Edit (April 24):
Updated to v2.1
Edit (April 17):
A major update to the PrRC deserves a full 2.0 version number!
For updates prior to v2.0, see the full Update History at the back of PrRC.
Last edited by Verys Arkon; Thursday, 29th May, 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Updated to v2.6
By the Jester in forum Story HourReplies: 343Last Post: Friday, 15th October, 2010, 04:17 PM
By The Shadow in forum Story HourReplies: 198Last Post: Tuesday, 8th June, 2010, 05:21 AM
By Rel in forum Story HourReplies: 274Last Post: Tuesday, 11th November, 2003, 09:09 PM
By Morte in forum Story HourReplies: 20Last Post: Monday, 10th February, 2003, 11:33 PM
By Creamsteak in forum General RPG DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: Monday, 28th October, 2002, 08:50 AM