D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Healing surges

From another thread:

Khur said:
The OP is mistaken in the definition of healing surge, whether and why such a statistic needs to be in a stat block, and what the fact that healing surges aren't in NPC stat blocks means. It's a shame any conclusion was based on these mistaken assumptions.

A healing surge isn't the ability to heal 25% of HP. It's the potential to heal that much or even do other things, based on the trigger/use. A healing surge, then, is a resource tapped by other powers, such as second wind (use a healing surge to heal as a standard action) or the cleric's healing word (allow an ally to use a healing surge to heal and add 1d6 to the total healed).

NPCs and monsters do have a certain number of healing surges. That number is easy to remember, and it makes an NPC or monster far less resilient than an typical PC—on purpose. (PCs are extraordinary heroes of great destiny.) Only exceptions to the norm need to be shown in the stat block.

Most NPCs and monsters aren't exceptional in this way. Therefore, no need exists to repeat in the stat block the basic number of surges a particular NPC or monster might have. So typical statistics don't show that number.

In my game, the 3rd-level PCs have an NPC elf archer (from the MM) with them as a guide. They've had little trouble healing him, since the party's warlord can trigger the archer's healing surges. The archer himself can use his own surges outside of combat.

Plenty of ways can be had to manipulate how surges work in the game. That's part of their fun. Part of the individualization of the D&D game is tinkering with the parts. I can't wait to see the ways DMs customize healing surges in their games.

Chris Sims Designer Wizards RPG R&D

Verys Arkon

First Post
Bursts and Blasts

I've made some illustrations for Bursts and Blasts . Could someone have a look at them and make sure there aren't any mistakes before I add them to PrRC v2.0 (with 100% more Dragonborn and 50% more Warlord :D )

Verys Arkon

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
I've made some illustrations for Bursts and Blasts . Could someone have a look at them and make sure there aren't any mistakes before I add them to PrRC v2.0 (with 100% more Dragonborn and 50% more Warlord :D )

Thanks to the folks on the Rules Question Burst thread for feedback.

Close Burst
attachment.php
A Close Burst starts in the caster’s square, and has a radius of (x) squares. A Close Burst 1 power from a medium creature covers 9 squares, centered on the caster. A Close Burst 2 covers 25 squares.

Close Burst, Large creatures
attachment.php

A Close Burst (x) starts at the edge of the caster’s space, and continues outward (x) squares. A large creature’s Close Burst 1 power covers 16 squares.

Blasts and Ranged Bursts
attachment.php

A blast (x) is a square area of effect (x) by (x) squares, anywhere adjacent to the source of the blast.

A ranged burst (x) within (y) is a burst with a radius (x) centered on a square (y) squares away from the caster or source of the effect.

Cover, Range and Line of Effect for Area attacks (blasts and bursts)
attachment.php

To determine cover, draw a line from each corner of the origin square to the square in question. If more than one line is interrupted by an obstacle, creatures in that square have cover. If no line can be drawn from a corner of the origin square to a corner of the square in question there is no line-of-effect. Count around corners when determining range from the origin square. (DDM 2)

Last edited:

Zulithe

Explorer
Will there be adequate text to describe what is happening in the last pic? I'm not really sure how it works by looking at it.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Zulithe said:
Will there be adequate text to describe what is happening in the last pic? I'm not really sure how it works by looking at it.

I've added text the images above now. The white lines are showing where cover begins, and the red lines are showing line-of-effect (using the DDM 2 rules for now).

When you count out ranges, each square adjacent to another square is 1 away, but you have to count around corners (you can't go diagonally through a corner, for instance), that is why the upper right squares seem a little closer to the origin of the burst than the left side.

Clear as mud? :heh: Any suggestions for rewording the text are welcomed.

Verys.

EDIT: I'm also including the Line of Sight and Line of Effect rules from the DDM2 for now.

LINE OF SIGHT(DDM 2)
Two creatures have line of sight to each other unless walls (or similar blocking terrain) are in the way. If you can trace even a single line between two creatures that doesn’t touch a wall, they have line of sight to each other.

LINE OF EFFECT (DDM2)
Line of effect is nearly always the same as line of sight. A few special powers or terrain types might block line of effect: They prevent attacking a space, but they do not block line of sight to that space.

Last edited:

Verys Arkon

First Post
4e PrRC v2.0 Draft

I've started a new thread for editors wanting to help with v2.0 of the PrRC (now with Dragonborn and Warlords).

For those not interested in editing, please wait a while for the final version which will be posted here. It will save you from downloading another version in a few days (and save ink printing!).

DandD

First Post
We now know the official hitpoint progression table from the Tiers Excerpt preview on the official Wizards of the Coast-site.

Class Hit Points
Cleric (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Fighter (level × 6) + 9 + Constitution score
Paladin (level × 6) + 9 + Constitution score
Ranger (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Rogue (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Warlock (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Warlord (level × 5) + 7 + Constitution score
Wizard (level × 4) + 6 + Constitution score

Remove ads