D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Looking at the XP table and seeing "Level 2 Minion 31.25 XP" made me shudder. I understand that minions are worth a whole lot less, but do we really think that we need to consider quarter units of XP? Surely the table in PHB would have nice whole numbers?

lvl20dm

Explorer
I think many of those XP values are estimates - likely any fractions will simply round down. My understanding is that the characters were made with 28 pt. buy and that a few are 29 pt. buy by accident (they also have odd numbers that can be easily changed without impacting anything on the rest of the sheet). Keeping that in mind, I think it's hard to say what the stat boosts are for many of the races. We've seen some of them, and others can be deduced from the stats, but many are questionable. The Human probably gets a bonus to any 2 stats, but that could be restricted in some way (must be 1 mental and 1 physical, for example). The Dwarf, if it is a product of 3e style pt. buy, is getting a +2 to Str and Con or a +4 to Con. Those are the only two that work and make sense. The halfling is almost definately getting a +2 to Dex, but he is also getting a +2 to Wis or Cha (I'm guessing Cha). The Eladrin is a +2 to Dex and probably Int. This is all partly guess work though.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm pretty sure that the line about them being 28 point buy with mistakes from 2am is either speculation or a designer's fib - to cover the fact that they all add up fine with a 32 point buy and the modified chart shown (I stand by 17 being 14 points, though)

Fitz

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Feats

I would also add "Backstabber" to the feats list - it's in the Rogue class write-up on the Wizards site. I would bet that it's the rogue equivalent to Lethal Hunter - increasing the die size of back stabs.

zoroaster100

First Post
That's a great compilation of information! Some things that I think need to be revised:

You have Ray of Frost listed under Encounter powers for the Wizard, but the power description says At-Will. I read something someone posted about this maybe being an At-Will Wizard power which the Half-Elf took as an Encounter ability due to a racial ability, but I don't know if that is true. I am not sure it it is an At-Will or Encounter ability for Wizards. It's power seems perhaps more like an At-Will than an Encounter ability.

Under Feats, Skill Training should say it makes one untrained skill trained, thereby granting the +5 (not +2 bonus). That seems confirmed by the tiefling pregen. He has a total of Stealth +9, which has to come from Dex +2, Tiefling race bonus to Stealth +2, and his Skill Training feat +5.

Xfer83

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=220090&page=5

Thats the relevant thread on the point buy.

For some reason I still think its point buy 28 with some mistakes... which as i write it
seems more like point buy 29... but he mentions the mistakes are in the PCs favor

Evidence:(?)

Dwarf Fighter with +2 STR +2 CON = 28
Halfing Paladin with +2 DEX +2 CHA = 29
Human Cleric with +2 (wis) and +2(any one other score) = 28
Eladrin Ranger with +2 DEX +2 INT = 29
Tiefling Wizard with +2 INT +2 CHA = 29
Half-Elf Warlock with +2 CHA +2(con?) = 29

keterys

First Post
Perhaps - but the modified system is almost the same as the one used for Iron Heroes by Mike Mearls, shifting the optimization point to the odd scores... which allows for more dynamic point spending.

So I'm inclined to think that if you can do 32 point buy for all the characters using the chart given, that it's true. I wish I could remember if I actually saw Chris Tulach (I think that was the wotc guy) post that they added up or if it was hearsay/second hand...

And this post confirms that.

keterys

First Post
zoroaster100 said:
That's a great compilation of information! Some things that I think need to be revised:

You have Ray of Frost listed under Encounter powers for the Wizard, but the power description says At-Will. I read something someone posted about this maybe being an At-Will Wizard power which the Half-Elf took as an Encounter ability due to a racial ability, but I don't know if that is true. I am not sure it it is an At-Will or Encounter ability for Wizards. It's power seems perhaps more like an At-Will than an Encounter ability.

It was at-will at the con, and encounter when wotc posted the sheets on their website.

Jury is still out.

Mr Jack

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
Uhm... Not to be a total killjoy, but what you did *MIGHT* considered a infringement since there IS NO OGL for 4e and since there is no SGL available at the moment. Like your pdf saids, "CONTENTS PROPERTY OF WIZARDS OF THE COAST." Thus, I'm not sure if you could legally compile information on 4e they way you did (especially any text they might have released with a copywrite).

Given that a number of significant WotC employees frequent this site, I think it is safe to say that they are aware of this. Since no-one's dropped him a line going *ahem* I think he's in the clear

Remove ads