D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Verys Arkon

First Post
Mandius,
I'm not sure that this thread is the place for your comments, but since you put them here (as your first post), I'll reply.

First, in my opinion, this is D&D. In fact, it is probably closer to its roots than the last edition, as more authority is given to the DM to adjudicate situations with the guidelines provided (DMG pg 42), rather than making a rule for everything.

It is certainly not Final Fantasy. FF doesn't have a DM, and without the DM FF can only give the player what the programmer decided to provide. I fail to see how it is a 'video game'. The structure, play and feel is the same it has always been - explore, encounter monsters, combat, recover and continue to explore, interact with NPCs, solve puzzles, disarm traps. They've taken out some of the boring parts (in 3.5 it was "line up for your Wand of Cure Light Wounds shots before we head on...") with healing surges. Or traps can only be disarmed by one class while the rest of the players sit by and wait.

Magic tables in the PH make sense, because it removes the need for players to buy or borrow the DMG to look through magic items. Magic item levels (introduced in 3.5, btw), are a godsend. Now DMs and players what items are appropriate to give out, without relying on deconstructing random treasure tables. Many DMs allow players to purchase or commission magic items in previous editions, so the 'little shops in FF' analogy is .... wrong.

Characters have always gotten new powers (spells, class abilities) when they levelled, thats part of the fun of the game. Instead of one class power gained at a level, 4.0 lets you choose which class power you would like from a limited selection. This lets you customize your character in a way that was impossible in 3.5. Also, by making the spell-casters use the same mechanic, players can be assured that their characters remain relevant unlike in 3.5 when the fighter gets +1 to hit and the wizard gets Wish. XP can be given out imediately or given out whenever the DM wants (DMG 121). Perhaps reading the books before posting would be wise. Also, the monsters have always gotten tougher when you levelled in D&D, except now the transition between levels of monsters is not so abrupt, owing to the smoother power curves in 4e.

Streamlining the rules (note: streamlining is not the same as simplifying), so that 12-year olds can play is a good thing for the hobby. If all the game has left are the players like you and I that have played for 20+ years, the hobby will die out. The streamlining has the 'side effect' of extending the sweet spot, and making the game actually fun to play around the table.

As for backwards compatibility, that has been true between any edition. I've already made good use of my 3.5 collection while preparing for my 4e campaign, including Cityscape and Dungeonscape for design, and converted races (thri-kreen, genasi, dromite, goliath). 4e makes the rules framework so transparent it is much easier to make new material. Your 3.5 crunch will need to be converted for the most part, but it isn't difficult, or any different than any other edition change. They didn't target third-party-publishers specifically - they made their own 3.5 books incompatible too. And 3PP are invited to publish under the GSL.

As for 'firing up the xbox' to play D&D, there have been computerized versions of D&D since the old SSI days and most recently with Bioware's Neverwinter Nights. This will not change with 4e, I imagine.

For me, WotC has taken what worked in 3.5, and dumped what didn't. It is evolutionary. It is not an 'entirely different game' for me. It is actually very fun to play at the table, and with the rules being less intrusive it is easier to roleplay without the interruptions.

I would suggest you actually try to play 4e in a campaign with a pro 4e DM before you write it off.

Verys.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mandius said:
...rant...

Not the place for this rant, Mandius.

I'm surprised that you've been registered a couple of years and you chose this as your first post; I'm afraid I'm deleting it though as this is effectively threadcrapping and inappropriate in this thread.

Regards,

aa4023252

First Post
[url=http://www.ulovebridal.co.uk/Wholesale-Mother-Of-The-Bride-Dresses-c-24/]mother of the bride dresses[/url]

mother of the bride dresses

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases