D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Verys Arkon said:
I think the original Careful attack was +4 attack, and kept the +4 damage (from Dexterity). The newest one from the WotC site keeps the +4 attack (which I removed accidently), and removes the Dex from damage. I'll put the +4 to attack back in. Sound good?

That sounds like a good compromise.

Thanks!

Jack99 said:
I wonder if it is +4 tohit (for careful attack) or damage modifier lost, added to tohit. Did that make any sense?

Cheers
There was a early blog post that discussed the change of a Ranger power from "reroll attack, take better result" to +4 to hit. So I think it's indeed supposed to be +4 to hit. It's possible that there are further penalties (no damage bonus. Do we already know where the bonus would come from, anyway?)

Khelzor

First Post
Just a minor issue I found. Page 6 ( the one titled Ability Scores) is numbered page 5. The Table of Contents also needs to be updated to reflect this.

Last edited:

Verys Arkon

First Post
From the news thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlin
Perhaps future trouble with lawyers from WotC could be avoided by changing the name of the pdf to something else? "4e Pre-Release Rules Compilation" for example?

Allowing someone else to publish a 4e players handbook, lite or not, could cause Wizards some problems. They'll almost have to take official notice of it eventually, even if they are nice guys who would prefer not to bother fans with cease and desist letters.

It's a nice PDF and it would be a shame if unpleasantness ensued.

Perhaps this is a wise suggestion. The last thing I want to imply is that the 'Lite' PHB is a Wizard's official release, or even a "publication" really. I imagine they look at our mad scrambling and interpretations and giggle "just wait to they see how it really works, BWHAHAHA"

Version 1.3 will be entitled "4E Pre-Release Rules Compilation", (or the PRRC?)

Last edited:

Verys Arkon

First Post
Bayonet_Chris said:
I've glanced through this a couple of times, but now I've actually started to go through it in depth and I have a couple of comments:

1. The section on defenses lists the ability modifier and the 1/2 level separately, but it was quite clear the 1/2 level was part of the ability modifier in the first place. Is that a bit redundant?

I think this is a terminology problem that we are going to have to unlearn from earlier additions. Does the term "ability modifier" refer to the basic adjustment due to ability score (12-13 = +1, 14-15=+2), or does it refer to the basic adjustment + 1/2 level? I will remove the "+1/2 character level", and make a note that X ability modifier means basic adjustment + 1/2 level.

2. Humans and halflings get +1 healing surges per day. I'm not sold on this - I think it's more likely that divine classes (cleric, paladin) get the bonus healing surge, especially since paladins have an ability to give their surges up to someone else. Clerics and Paladins have more similar characteristics than humans and halflings.

I had this in v1.0, but was persuaded that a bonus healing surge to humans and halflings would make sense, given the 'durable' descriptions from R&C, and it makes the number of Healing Surges given from Defender or Leader consistent with other classes that share the role (or HP, at least). However, it seems a bonus to healing surges for classes that share the Divine Power Source is a more popular opinion, so I will change it back in v1.3

3. Powers modifiers- it seems that most, if not all, abilities derive bonuses from the users' ability scores. It is more likely that the cleric powers (priest's shield, divine fortune) are granting a charisma bonus (+1 on the cleric in question) than a flat +1. The trend is that powers scale as you advance. Same goes for the Paladin's Bolstering Strike, Holy Strike, and Shielding Smite (Cha modifier). It wouldn't surprise me if Witchfire (Warlock) operated the same way, where the target takes a penalty equal to the caster's charisma modifier.

Anyone else care to comment? I'll take the prevailing opinion.

David Argall

First Post
I will note, and object, that a number of the blue section titles amount to saying "Wow! 4.0 is so much better than 3.5."
Could we remove the cheerleading? It certainly won't be a part of the actual books.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Regarding the Half-elf: I have printed a copy of a sheet scanned from the DDXP and the Ray of Frost is printed above the Encounter's section not below. I think that the sheet that is up on the Wizards site is incorrect.

This would make the Half-elfs racial bonus on a par with the humans. Also I think that the scanned image is more likely to be correct anyway.

Green Knight

First Post
Kirnon_Bhale said:
Regarding the Half-elf: I have printed a copy of a sheet scanned from the DDXP and the Ray of Frost is printed above the Encounter's section not below. I think that the sheet that is up on the Wizards site is incorrect.

This would make the Half-elfs racial bonus on a par with the humans. Also I think that the scanned image is more likely to be correct anyway.

The ones on the Wizards site are revised versions with mistakes corrected. So yeah, Ray of Frost is an Encounter Power.

neceros

Adventurer
David Argall said:
I will note, and object, that a number of the blue section titles amount to saying "Wow! 4.0 is so much better than 3.5."
Could we remove the cheerleading? It certainly won't be a part of the actual books.
I object to this objection.

I would impress upon you that this is a player-made collection and not an official release. This is how Verys looks upon Fourth Edition, and I approve.

That's not to say I disapprove of people disliking fourth ed, but to put things in a positive manner is more appreciable then negative.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases