"Gameday needs GMs badly" :) Volunteer Now! - Antioch, IL - April 26th, 2008

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
ENWorld Chicago Gameday North Planning Thread

This thread is for planning purposes only. A separate thread will be created for player sign-up closer to Gameday. A link to that thread will be posted here.

Gameday North Planning

This is the planning thread for the inaugural Chicago Gameday North. If you're interested in running an event for Gameday, or just have planning help to offer, this is the thread for you. If you're confused please email me directly with your questions.

The Time, The Place, The Basics

Gameday North will tentatively be held on Saturday, April 26th. Events start at 9:30am. Gameday North will be hosted by Friends Hobby, home of proprietor Robert Bigelow, regular contributor of Dragon Magazine’s Through the Looking Glass during much of the ‘80’s.

Friends Hobby, 311 W. Depot Street, Antioch, IL 60002; (847) 395-5280

Friends Website

Gameday has two event slots that are 4-5 hours each: a morning slot from 9:30am to 2:30pm, and an afternoon slot from 3:30pm to 8:30pm (and beyond). We would like to run at least six events in each slot, with 4-6 players plus GM in each event, but we are assessing space and may have room for more. GMs may request more/fewer seats in their event, but we have found that 4-6 players per event is ideal.

Please make sure I have your email address. Feel free to email me.

Submitting and Running an Event

How do I sign up to run an event?
If you would like to run an event for Gameday North, please post a proposal in this thread.

What info should I provide as part of my proposal?
At the minimum, we need to know:
• The game system you will be using
• How many players will be accommodated
• A catchy title
• An event "blurb," i.e., a basic summary of your event
• Whether you want to run the event in the morning or the afternoon

Optional, yet helpful info you can provide includes:
• If there is a particular table setup you would like to use
• Whether your event expects prior experience with the rules
• Whether your event is or isn't suitable for all ages
• Whether pregens will be provided
• Links to said pregens (PDFs, Word files, etc)
• Links to info about the game system
• Links to any other files you'd like to offer potential players
• Any images you might like included in the final event description

How long should my event last?
Your event should last at least 4 hours.

Events should not run longer than 5 hours, as you will be taking time away from the lunch break for morning players and may disrupt plans of afternoon players relying on the posted slot end time.

When do poeple sign up for my event?
A separate player sign-up thread will be created in a few weeks. You will be notified in advance of the sign-up thread going live.

May I screen potential players?
Pre-approval of player sign-ups is not allowed. By volunteering to run an event, you're agreeing to run it for whomever signs up.

What if I want or need to cancel my event?
Once the sign-up thread begins, GM volunteers have until one week before Gameday in which they may remove their event from the schedule. After that point, the schedule is set, and you are expected to come ready to run your event, regardless of whether anyone has signed up for it. Barring genuine emergencies, of course.

May I run more than one event?
I would ask that people initially refrain from submitting more than one event. I want to give as many people as possible the chance to submit an event before GMs start doubling up. After the planning thread has been up about a week and we see that there is room to add events, GMs can add second events.

Current Event Lineup

Morning: 9:30am - 2:30pm

1. "Grindhouse: Black Rock Terror!", D20 Modern - Dfranco
2. "Dark Rooms", Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cinematic Unisystem - Ninjacat
3. "Freakshow", D&D D20 - Cyberknight

Afternoon: 3:30pm - 8:30pm

1. "Holy!...Sword", D&D 3.5 - Vyvyan Basterd
2. Hero's Banner - Laurie
3. "The World is My Ashtray", d100 - ekb

Suggestions

If you have suggestions, recommendations, or ideas for enhancing the fun of Gameday, please feel free to post them here and we'll open up discussion.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
That would be a blast but the Metra to Antioch does not run on the weekend. Perhaps some carpooling from Mt Prospect could be arranged?

Fenril Knight

First Post
Mark said:
That would be a blast but the Metra to Antioch does not run on the weekend. Perhaps some carpooling from Mt Prospect could be arranged?

I'd have to play around with my schedule, but I could fit this in. If you need a ride, I can provide ^^

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Mark said:
That would be a blast but the Metra to Antioch does not run on the weekend.

This has been a constant thorn in my side and I don't understand why we don't have weekend service. Our line is the only one to stop at the O'Hare Transfer train station, which would really help weekend travelers. And it would be perfect for this Gameday, seeing that the mall the shop is in shares a parking lot with the Antioch train station.

I may be able to talk to the owner about shuttling a limited number of people from the Fox Lake station to the store. We would have to shift all times forward an hour to match that lines schedule. I checked the McHenry Saturday schedule (since that connects to Mount Prospect directly), but that train is too limited to work.

Dfranco83

First Post
I would vote for the April 26th slot, because I'm going to my gf's graduation on May 2nd at Western.

I will run a D20 Modern Campaign in the morning.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Dfranco83 said:
I would vote for the April 26th slot, because I'm going to my gf's graduation on May 2nd at Western.

I will run a D20 Modern Campaign in the morning.

Added!

April 26th is set unless there is an issue at the store, which I don't forsee there being one.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I have no preference but the sooner the date is set, the sooner things can be arranged. Thanks, Fenril. We will talk off-board. :)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Gwen110 said:
I was wondering if we were going to vote on the day, because I'd much prefer May 3.

gh

I'm a reasonable person despite my screen name. :D

I think the date is flexible enough that if there is a strong calling to choose May 3rd over April 26th the change can be made.

So far: April 26th - 1; May 3rd - 1

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Mark said:
I have no preference but the sooner the date is set, the sooner things can be arranged.

I agree. I will set the voting cutoff as March 25th 8PM CST. Anyone who has a preference for the date of the Gameday please vote.

Remove ads