what companies are staying with 3.X?

Razz0putin

Explorer
just wondering I know Paizo is staying with 3.X but what other companies have openly said that they'll stay? If someone already has a thread on this topic please direct me to that link I didn't see it although it was only a casual search. ps don't throw me in with so called 4E haters I'm just wanting to know the lay of the land.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Razz0putin said:
I know Paizo is staying with 3.X
Only for the time being - and actually, they're moving to '3.5+' (i.e., their own Pathfinder RPG.) Whether or not they produce anything for 4e, and if so when, is AFAIK open to speculation, as most things are. But that's about it.

but what other companies have openly said that they'll stay?
None, that I know of. Not explicitly, with any kind of 'forever' claim or promise, at any rate.

There will be companies sticking with their own d20/OGL systems (e.g., Spycraft, True20, Conan, Mutants & Masterminds, Iron Heroes, Arcana Evolved) - but not, even then, necessarily 'in opposition to' 4e. IOW, they might do some 4e books too, some time down the track.

What's causing some concern and confusion atm, other than the great big honkin' edition shift round the corner of course, is the delay in the GSL's release, and hence the weakening value of the that $5000, so to speak. Potential early adopters are losing out day by day, er, potentially. This might have influenced with Paizo's most recent decision, for instance. I don't know, just guessing that it had a part to play anyhow.

3e, or some form of it, might survive, and even thrive, for years to come. The way things are, on more than one level at the moment, I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I would say it depends on the GSL (which STILL no one has seen).

If the GSL is very restrictive, then you may see more stay with 3.5/Pathfinder. If not, then most will go on the 4E bandwagon (as soon as they are allowed).

However, since many will not be able to do anything with 4E by this Gen Con - and they CAN do things with 3.5 this Gen Con, well, interesting times. :D

My guess is that you'll see companies do a product or two to test the waters of the Pathfinder RPG, and if successful, they will continue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases