D&D 4E POL Settings in Literature to Base 4e Settings On

wherwrthal

First Post
This is my first thread on EnWorld, and I have seen a few other threads that have gone along with this line of thought. I was wondering if there was a thread that showed different places in books that show the POL Setting. The other thread on POL's seem to discuss how to create one, but I would like to see what research you are basing the POL settings on.

For example, POL's I have read:
Lord of the Rings: Tolkien (Edoras) [Fantasy]
The Black Sun Trilogy: Friedman (Erna) [Science Fantasy]
The Elric Saga: Moorcock (Outside of the Melnibone Empire) [Fantasy]
The MageLord Trilogy: Martin (After the Time of Madness) [Fantasy]

If there are others that you have read, I would be interested in seeing them.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Black Library, any book they produce
There Will Be Dragons by John Ringo utopic future becomes POL environment with clarktech.
Hood by Lawhead though it's a gritty sort of fantasy
Island in the Sea of Time by Stirling
Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot, entire plot is based around a setting making the descent into POL.

Dark080matter

First Post
Dune by Frank Herbert (definitely science fiction, but I consider it a vital inspiration for my upcoming "Points of Sand" 4e setting :] )

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville. Why this? Life aboard the whaling ship was a fascinating and cosmopolitan blend of races and walks of life. The lawlessness of the sea and the harbor-city of Nantucket was, somehow, one of the first things PoL made me think of after reading about it... maybe I'm all alone on this one though.

ummm... Anime example!

Trigun. Although the early episodes of the show are mostly just goofy, when the show gets all serious and embraces it's post-apocalyptic Desert World setting it really embodies this setting archetype quite well. Also... gigantic Light Bulbs.

errr... Video Game example!

Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker. Yeah that's right, the world is covered in water except for the rare occasional island and the heroes must travel over the treacherous waters to get anywhere! This idea is on the back burner as a potential future homebrew setting for me.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The legend of King Arthur
The Odyssey
Beowolf

Ipissimus said:
The Deed of Paksenarrion, Elizabeth Moon
Interesting choice. I wouldn't have taken it for a POL theme.

AZRogue

First Post
The Black Sun trilogy was my first thought when I heard about the POL idea. I'm basing my new campaign LOOSELY on that, with some of the general ideas. I don't think this is the place, but the idea sparked others and I'm more excited about my campaign world and the layers of secrets in it that I can't wait to get going with it.

Remove ads