Scotley's Tomb of Horrors 3.5

J. Alexander

First Post
Robert McARdy

Robert will spend the time in pleaseant but no engaging conversation.....and simple observe what is going on about him......gathering an impression of the personalites that appear to be involved with the reading of the will.

For the DM
[sblock]Robert will slip out and cast commune with nature to get a feel of the area etc[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
[sblock=Robert]The spell normally does not function in a settlement or town. But what the heck, you can gather that there is a swamp nearby that is teeming with life. Mostly amphibian and reptile life nearby. The eco-system is healthy and balanced. Further away, Robert senses an older darker world. The Hool Marshes and the Dreadwood both are out of balance with evil predominating. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Water day the 19th of Reeping, 592

Breakfast is simple but filling and good--fresh bread with molasses and butter if you like, eggs, some ham and watered beer or goat's milk.

A little before noon Kailee opens up a small private dining room for thoses attending the reading of the will. J Murdle Markman, Esquire, arrives promptly at noon. He is a tall thin fellow with a long dark coat that reminds you somewhat of a large water bird such as a heron. He carries a leather folio in which several neat documents are tucked. He asks for each of the persons named in the Will to join him one at a time to establish their identity. Kailee goes in first and returns almost immediately, as she is obviously known to Markman. She offers up a lunch of seafood salad or sandwich to the others as each goes in. The Attorny asks a few questions of each of you from notes he must have prepared with Ambrose for they concern details of your lives or history together that he would know. Those of you representing another carry letters giving you permission to act for the named person. That seems to satisfy Markman. By 1:30 everyone including Markman has had a chance to get some lunch and all of you have been verified.

A man in travelers garb of fine material and cut takes an interest in the preceedings. He is a handsome fellow with quaffed hair and a smooth manner, though the more observant among you note that his hands show signs of hard work and he his lean and fit. He looks over the group and finally addresses Robert. "I met Ambrose once. A fine fellow, I had not heard of his passing. Let me buy the mourners a round." Kailee smiles and takes the man's money before any of you can mention the fact that Ambrose has already paid. Loud enough for most of you to hear he says, "I'm Ernst Middlebrook, if you find yourselves the receipent of any property that you'd like to dispose of--art, gems, even items of magic--I am a dealer in such things and would be happy to make an offer. Look me up later if you are interested."

Mista Collins

First Post
Arriving well before noon, a man in suit of full-plate armor that has many dents and dings in it, but is polished to a brilliant shine, enters the Lizard's Boat and sits down in the common room. He sets down a pack that doesn't appear to be holding much of anything and removes his helm, placing it on the table. His hair is golden blonde, but in disarray. It looks as if it has never been properly cared for. He carefully sits a large wooden shield so that it leans against the table next to him, and sits there silently. He is far from an attractive man, as his bulbous nose takes up much of his face.

When it is his turn, he stands and enters the private room. It takes sometime before he emerges and sits back down, remaining quite unless approached. It looks as if his mind is on other things then todays will reading.

Scotley

Hero
The Reading...

OOC: Sorry for the delay...

J. Murdle addresses you all. "Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, Thank you for coming on this solemn occasion. I have been appointed executor of the local estate of Ambrose Wythwindle who passed in this very Inn less than a month ago. It should be noted that the bulk of his estate is in the Free City of Greyhawk and that his legal representative there will be handling that part of the Estate and any bequests thereto. I am only responsible for the portion of Mr. Wythwindle's Estate which he had here in Saltmarsh where he had been living some weeks." He looks up to see if anyone has questions at this point. Seeing none he continues on. "The local Will was brief and to the point except for a letter to be read to you all. And I quote, 'Good day my old friends, I trust you've been enjoying the hospitality of The Lizard's Boat. I hope the journey to Saltmarsh was not an arduous one. I have included you all in my Will because I have finally discovered one of the Great Tombs of antiquity. This is the legendary resting place of Acererak, a ruler of terrible power and cruelty long centuries ago. I believe his Tomb lies deep in the Hool Marshes. I've actually seen what I believe to be the hillock where the Tomb itself lies. Unfortunately, I seem to be too late. Old age and illness have finally caught up with me just on the eve of my greatest find. I simply could not pass from this life without trying to arrange an expedition into the Tomb. That is why I have called you all here. I hope to persuade you to work together and explore the Tomb. To that end, I've placed some money in the local bank. If you choose to join the expedition then you will be given 3000 gp each to equip and sustain yourselves for the duration of the expedition. In addition to that I have several other items which I had gathered in preparation for the exploration, which will be at the disposal of the group. At the conclusion of the expedition you may dispose of this gear and any remaining funds as you see fit. Now I do understand that poking about in old Tombs is not an occupation all of you would choose to pursue. However, I feel that each of you brings a unique set of skills to the group. The reasons for the journey into this Tomb are many fold, academic curiosity was much of my own motivation. Acererak was perhaps one of the most interesting historical figures in this part of the world. There is little about him in the historical record. Second, he was a darkly evil force, indeed some say half fiend by birth. His legacy lives on, for I believe much of the evil that stems from the Hool Marshes and the Dreadwood is a result of his lingering influence in the Tomb. To destroy that influence could allow good to proper in this once forsaken land. Saltmarsh sits on the edge of a dark forbidding wilderness. For civilization to truly flourish here, that evil will have to be removed. If you prefer baser motivation, I think you'll find the Tomb is filled with untold wealth. What little I have learned about Acererak and his Tomb suggests that he was interred with vast wealth. Finally, the Tomb is filled with challenges great and small. Acererak was a cunning and vile person in life. There is reason to believe that he protected his Tomb with a variety of traps and other challenges. Few could succeed against such tests. I have carefully selected you all for your outstanding ability. Are you up to the test?'" The Attorney pauses here, puts down the letter, clears his throat and says, "I am instructed to pause at this point to give you time to consider the challenge presented by the late Mr. Wythwindle. If you choose to accept, our fine Innkeep has agreed to provide a base of operations here including lodging, meal and this room for planning and meeting for up to three month. She will of course be compensated handsomely for this." He pauses to hand over a small jewelry box with a lock and key. Kailee looks inside and pulls out a part of diamond solitaire earrings and places them in her ears. They are very large diamond, clearly worth a considerable sum. There seems to be other items in the little box as well. She nods and he continues, "She is also quite knowledgeable of the area and can provide many contacts. There are native guides, and a collection of scrolls, potions, wands and other gear at your disposal as well as the funds mentioned earlier. If you do not wish to participate Mr. Wythwindle has asked me to award you 250 gp for your trouble in coming here and to further bestow 1,000 gp on the charity of your choice. He will also pay for up to one weeks lodging in the local Inn of your choice while you arrange for passage home; however, he was very specific in saying that you must agree to leave The Lizard's Boat immediately and Saltmarsh within the week if you are to receive the aforementioned bequest." He looks up from his notes, "You must decide now before I continue. If you will not be joining the quest for the Tomb I must ask that you leave now. I will give you the cash and take down your charity of choice." He looks expectantly at the group. Kailee speaks first, "I already told Ambrose I'd lend a hand." You suspect there is a hint of wry humor in the way she says, 'a hand'. "We agreed I won't be going into the wild, but I'll support you to the best of my ability from here. Who's in? I'll pour you a drink for the road if you don't want to join the quest."

renau1g

First Post
Leaning back in his chair, Fin looks at the others and folds his arms across his chest. He'll have his bow across his lap stroking it absently feeling the familiar symbols etched in it. Fin whispers to it "Well old friend, I guess it be once more back into the deep.". In a louder voice "I'm in. I owe Ambrose that much. Me name's Fin Darktracker, I'll be the one takin' care of all those fancy traps I be thinkin'"

Mista Collins

First Post
Could this be what Pelor had planned for me? I could have sworn it was to help revive the church in the area. Logan thinks to himself before looking to Jason. Without saying a word to the paladin, he nods and stands.

"I am Logan Lightbringer, son of Victor, son of Ilsbeth, follower of Pelor. It seems the Shining One has tasked us to help rid the area of some evil forces. Though my master was originally summoned by Ambrose, I am accepting this in his place. May the Sun God provide us light as we battle the darkness."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases