pallie/cleric or swashbuckler/rogue or swashbuckler/wizard?

Aus_Snow

First Post
In the same spirit, more or less, I'd go with: variant Paladin, variant Wizard, or indeed yes, Swashbuckler/Rogue. Mind you, Swashbuckler/Bard can be surprisingly good, FWIW.

All depends on what books you're using, and - most of all - what you enjoy. :)

rgard

Adventurer
aradinn said:
as in the thread title...your opinions on which is the one you prefer.

If you aren't enamored with sneak attack, the Martial Rogue variant in UA is good with any rogue/full bab class combination. You only lose one bab through the first 20 levels.

If you take 2 levels of Martial Rogue, you get the 2 Fighter bonus feats and evasion; the evasion is only good with light armor of course. This works well with the Swashbuckler.

Additionally, I usually play arcane casters and the 2 level dip for Martial Rogue is nearly mandatory when I'm building the character. Martial Rogue/Battle Sorcerer is alot of fun. The evasion works as the Battle Sorcerer is wearing light armor and the extra two Fighter bonus feats come in handy with a feat starved class like BS.

On the Paladin/Cleric combination, I'd go with the Prestige Paladin in UA (again). You are still a Paladin and you advance your Cleric spellcasting (I think every other level, don't have the book handy.)

Swashbuckler/Wizard: 3 levels of Swashbuckler max. You get your intelligence bonus on damage (in addition to strength) with a light, martial melee weapon, which is nice. For this build you may want to look at the Urban Savant PrC in Cityscape. It's a full casting progress except for the 10th level and you get light armored casting.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

aradinn

First Post
nice response for under 12 hrs...
i cant really choose between a dual sword finesse fighter or a fighter wizard or a divine champion... that's my dilemma.

swashbuckler rogue/bard sounds good with me, think i'll give it a try.
but looking at one of my player's paladin (we play in each other's games with three others as pure players) makes me wanna play it.

well...any basic builds for these classes?

moritheil

First Post
aradinn said:
i cant really choose between a dual sword finesse fighter or a fighter wizard or a divine champion... that's my dilemma.

but looking at one of my player's paladin (we play in each other's games with three others as pure players) makes me wanna play it.

Why don't you just start combining tropes? For example, you can build a decent fighter/wizard/divine champion by taking Paladin 4/Battle Sorcerer X. Virtually everything depends on charisma, and you get to cast in armor.

If you want to combine things even more, look at Chameleon.

Darklone

aradinn said:

Swashbuckler bard: I houseruled a feat similar to Daring Outlaw that allows to use your Cha bonus instead of Int for the Swashy strike thing.

Daring Outlaw builds are awesome.

Pally/Cleric are great, especially with the variant paladin in UA... cleric spellcasting and paladin melee abilities.

What about a daggermage? Rogue/wizard with two daggers... add Arcane Trickster levels for nearly optimised spellcasting and good sneak attack smacks.

aradinn

First Post
AHHHHH!!!!!
too many choices!!!
'choice is an illusion'-random quote from the matrix
brain...not...functioning...

i've decided i'll jus try pure swash first loh

thanks for posting!

Shin Okada

Explorer
So many people talk only about multi-classing and prestige classes.
But with later Complete books, I found many single-class characters are actually enojyable and strong.

People rarely play single class paladin. But today's Paladin Spell list is indeed good and Divine feats are of course good. And special mount is good, too. And don't underestimate the power of smite evil and lay on hands of a single-class paladin.

szilard

First Post
Swashbuckler 3 / Beguiler X would be a lot of fun. Good synergy with:

Intellingence
Beguiler's feinting
Beguiler's spell list (causing disorientation, misdirection, and buffing movement capabilities)

-Stuart

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases