Redclaw's The Sinister Secret of Whiterock OOC

nick012000

First Post
Redclaw said:
I'm actually not going to use flaws, and I'm a bit hesitant on the elemental subraces. If you have a good, character-driven reason I'll consider it, but it won't be an easy sell. ;)

The only reason I was going to play a human was for the extra feat to begin with.

In character, I'd imagine that she's a descendant of a group of elves who called upon the power of the Elemental Plane of Fire, and imbued themselves with its nature, not unlike the 4e Teiflings' background. As for Noncombatant... she's never really learned to fight. She's really good with magic, and she did the basic training in elven weaponry when she was a child, but it's been years and years since she's used it. She's a scholar, not a warrior.

Redclaw

First Post
That describes most wizards, as far as I'm concerned. I'm still going to say no on the flaws, and after further thought also on the elemental subraces.

Walking Dad

First Post
What about a deep halfling sorcerer?

[SBLOCK=Tulbar]

Name: Tulbar
Race: Halfling
Class: Sorceror
Diety: Yondalla
Familiar: none (Spellshield variant from Dungeonscape; let's me spend spellslots instead of taking damage after a successful concentration check)
Align: N-G
HPs: 11
XPs: ?

Str: 10 (4 pts, -2 Racial)
Dex: 16 (6 pts, +2 Racial)
Con: 14 (6 pts)
Int: 12 (4 pts)
Wis: 10 (2 pts)
Cha: 15 (8 pts)

BAB: +1
AC: 14, Touch: 14, Flat Footed: 11
Fort: +3
Refl: +4
Will: +4 (+6 vs fear)
Move: 20'
Init: +3
Listen/Spot: +2 / +0
Loads: Light: 0-25 / Medium 26 - 50 / Heavy 50 - 75
[SBLOCK=Deep Halfling Traits]
- Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class,
a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks,
but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits
are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Stonecunning: Like dwarves, deep halflings have a +2 racial bonus on checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A deep halfling who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A deep halfling can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear:
This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
[/SBLOCK]

Weapons:
Dagger (x2) -- +1 To Hit, 1d3 Damage (19-20 x2)
Sling -- +5 To Hit, 1d3 Damage ( x2)

Skills:
Bluff: +7 (5 Ranks, +2 Cha Mod)
Concentration: +7 (5 Ranks, +2 Con Mod)
Hide: +7 (0 Ranks, +3 Dex Mod, +4 size)
Knowledge (Arcane): +6 (5 Ranks, +1 Int Mod)
Move Silently: +3 (0 Ranks, +3 Dex Mod)

Languages:
Common, Halfling, Dwarven, Draconic

Feats:
Class Granted
Weapon Proficiency -- simple
Chosen
Point Blank Shot

Equipment: 900gp
Dagger 2x) 15gp 2lbs
Sling 0gp lbs
Sling Bullets (x20) 2sp 1 lbs

Backpack 2gp 0.5lbs
Bedroll 1sp 1.25lbs
Scroll Case 1gp 0.5lbs
Flint and Steel 1gp
Pouch, Belt 1gp 0.5lbs (medium sized)
Rations x10 5gp 2.5lbs
Soap 1gp 2lbs
Spell Components Pouch 5 gp 2lbs
Traveller's Outfit 1gp1.25 lbs
Waterskin 1gp 1lbs
Whetstone 2cp 1lbs
Sunrod (x2) 4gp 2lbs
Torch 2cp 2lbs.

Scrolls 75 gp
Burning Hands
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement

Total Cost: 112gp, 3sp, 4cp
Left Over: 787gp, 6sp, 6cp

Total Weight: 20.5lbs -> light load

Height: 2'11"
Weight: 30lb
Eyes: green
Hair: brown
Skin: light tan
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Spells]
5/Day Level 0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Read Magic.
4/Day Level 1: Color Spray, Mage Armor.
[/SBLOCK]

I'm thinking about taking Stalwart Sorcerer (Complete Mage) or Battle Sorcerer (UA).
Still need to spend most of the money ;)

I will give a background after the crunch is approved

Alternative[sblock=Tulbar the Warmage]Name: Tulbar
Race: Halfling
Class: Warmage
Diety: Yondalla
Align: N-G
HPs: 14
XPs: ?

Str: 10 (4 pts, -2 Racial)
Dex: 16 (6 pts, +2 Racial)
Con: 14 (6 pts)
Int: 14 (6 pts)
Wis: 10 (2 pts)
Cha: 14 (6 pts)

BAB: +1
AC: 14, Touch: 14, Flat Footed: 11
Fort: +3
Refl: +4
Will: +4 (+6 vs fear)
Move: 20'
Init: +3
Listen/Spot: +2 / +0
Loads: Light: 0-25 / Medium 26 - 50 / Heavy 50 - 75
[SBLOCK=Deep Halfling Traits]
- Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class,
a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks,
but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits
are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Stonecunning: Like dwarves, deep halflings have a +2 racial bonus on checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A deep halfling who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A deep halfling can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear:
This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
[/SBLOCK]

Weapons:
Dagger (x2) -- +1 To Hit, 1d3 Damage (19-20 x2)
Sling -- +5 To Hit, 1d3 Damage ( x2)

Skills:
Intimidate: +7 (5 Ranks, +2 Cha Mod)
Concentration: +7 (5 Ranks, +2 Con Mod)
Hide: +7 (0 Ranks, +3 Dex Mod, +4 size)
Knowledge (Arcane): +6 (5 Ranks, +1 Int Mod)
Knowledge (History): +6 (5 Ranks, +1 Int Mod)
Move Silently: +3 (0 Ranks, +3 Dex Mod)

Languages:
Common, Halfling, Dwarven, Draconic

Class Features:
Armored Mage (light) – Cast Impromptu Charisma-based Arcane Spells from the Warmage Spell List (see page 196). There is no chance of Arcane Spell Failure when wearing no more than Light Armor and/or a Light Shield.
Warmage Edge – Add your Intelligence modifier to the damage done by any spell that does hit-point damage. For Area of effect spells, such as Fireball, all foes receive the bonus damage. For targeted spells, such as Ray of Fire and Magic Missile, only one target takes the extra damage.

Feats:
Class Granted
Weapon Proficiency -- simple
Armor Proficiency -- light
Shield Proficiency -- light
Chosen
Point Blank Shot

Equipment: 900gp
Dagger 2x) 15gp 2lbs
Sling 0gp lbs
Sling Bullets (x20) 2sp 1 lbs

Backpack 2gp 0.5lbs
Bedroll 1sp 1.25lbs
Scroll Case 1gp 0.5lbs
Flint and Steel 1gp
Pouch, Belt 1gp 0.5lbs (medium sized)
Rations x10 5gp 2.5lbs
Soap 1gp 2lbs
Spell Components Pouch 5 gp 2lbs
Traveller's Outfit 1gp1.25 lbs
Waterskin 1gp 1lbs
Whetstone 2cp 1lbs
Sunrod (x2) 4gp 2lbs
Torch 2cp 2lbs.

Scrolls 75 gp ?
Burning Hands
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement

Total Cost: 112gp, 3sp, 4cp
Left Over: 787gp, 6sp, 6cp

Total Weight: 20.5lbs -> light load

Height: 2'11"
Weight: 30lb
Eyes: green
Hair: brown
Skin: light tan
[/SBLOCK]
BTW: What are your experiences with Warlocks?

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Walking Dad I'm fine with the deep halfling, and am willing to consider stalwart sorcerer, but I need the exact wording of the rule. I don't own Complete Mage and I seem to be finding conflicting explanations on the web.

Walking Dad

First Post
Redclaw said:
Walking Dad I'm fine with the deep halfling, and am willing to consider stalwart sorcerer, but I need the exact wording of the rule. I don't own Complete Mage and I seem to be finding conflicting explanations on the web.

Looses 1 spell known from his highest spell level. Adds one martial weapon proficiency (with WF). Adds 2 HP/sorcerer level.

Redclaw

First Post
I think that's a bit too much for a first level spell-slot. Even for a second by the time you get there. For a sweet-spot spellcaster (levels 7-13 or so) it seems balanced, but it's too strong early and too weak late. Sorry, I'm going to nix it.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Red Claw:

it appears that you have plenty of participants here, and my life is starting to pick up in the work catagory, so i am going to recind my wishful thinking of joining another pbp game.

Every one please enjoy them selves. i will be following the game in the 'playing the game thread" so keep the story going, for you will have an audiance reading the story!

but no pressure. :lol:

have fun everyone!

Walking Dad

First Post
No slot, spell known, I loose half of my known spells at first level!
Spells known is a big thing for sorcerers!
Also one known of your highest spell level. On level 18 you loose a 9th level spell known.

What about the battlemage or warmage?

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Walking Dad said:
On level 18 you loose a 9th level spell known.
That's why I said at higher levels it would be too weak. It just seems like a poorly designed option to me.

Spell known does make a difference, but I'm still not a fan. The warmage is fine, as is battle sorcerer (one slot and known per spell level is a more reasonable cost).

Redclaw

First Post
Scott DeWar Thanks for the good wishes, and I totally understand about the commitment level. The only reason I can do this is that so many of my other games have just faded away.

Everyone else I'll take submissions until the end of today, and then spend some time tomorrow selecting a party. Remember, I will be looking at character backgrounds, brief though I asked for them to be.

Walking Dad Sorry, I missed your warlock question earlier. The root of my issue with warlocks is that everyone is playing them. The idea of balance in the game is that every class should be roughly equal in power, as spread over the different situations, and thus everyone class should get roughly equal play. The warlock, since its arrival, seems to be in just about every party I have encountered. That makes me wary. I think I'll be fine with it in 4E, when sorcerers and wizards have at will powers, too, but it just seems too good in comparison to those classes, and to archers, at low levels.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases