Redclaw's The Sinister Secret of Whiterock OOC

bedford

First Post
Extra hitpoints beacuse of the the bonus feat toughness
I forgot about the dex penalty for goliaths. changed dex to 10
I don,t have the right book in front of me but do you know of anything cheap enough that would raise ac? would he be able to use a shield as a bucker since he has the ability to use larger weapons? otherways I'l just get a buckler.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
@covaithe: I can give you 250gp for a healing wand.

bedford said:
Extra hitpoints beacuse of the the bonus feat toughness
I forgot about the dex penalty for goliaths. changed dex to 10
I don,t have the right book in front of me but do you know of anything cheap enough that would raise ac? would he be able to use a shield as a bucker since he has the ability to use larger weapons? otherways I'l just get a buckler.

I am not the DM, but your character uses a 2-handed weapon. I don't think he can use a shield (barring feats or magic).

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Bedford toughness should give you 3 hp, so that would bring your total to 20. Sorry I missed that.
I'm going to say that shields are balanced for size similar to the way that weapons are, so strapping a light steel shield onto your arm like a buckler would add to the ACP. Besides, it gives the same armor bonus, why not just use the buckler.
Walking_Dad is right, you don't get the benefit of the buckler when using your two handed weapon. It stays on your arm, so it's there if you switch weapons, but you don't get the bonus unless your off hand is free.

covaithe

Explorer
390 gp pledged toward the wand. I've got 250 left, taking us to 640, so we're getting pretty close. Keep those pledges rolling in! Operators are standing by to take your call...

bedford

First Post
Bucklers can be used with a twohanded weapon acording to the players guide, but it will cause a -1 to hit. so I think I will get one to use at lower levels until my hp increases a bit. That is if you will allow it.

Walking Dad

First Post
bedford said:
Bucklers can be used with a twohanded weapon acording to the players guide, but it will cause a -1 to hit. so I think I will get one to use at lower levels until my hp increases a bit. That is if you will allow it.
Buckler
This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#buckler

There is a feat in Complete Warrior "Improved Buckler Dfense" that lets you retain the AC bonus.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=buckler defense

Redclaw

First Post
That's exactly what I was about to write, WD. So, you can certaily have a buckler, with the accompanying -1 to hit, but any round in which you use your weapon with both hands you lose the bucklers AC bonus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases