Pathfinder 1E Savage Worlds/Pathfinder - A SavageRobby One Shot...

Flynn

First Post
Good Morning, All:

Last Friday evening, I got the chance to play in one of SavageRobby's games, a Savage Worlds One Shot based off of a Pathfinder adventure. As it's been a hectic weekend for me, this is the first time I've had to sit down and write up my impressions from the experience.

As a bit of background, back in November, I actively sought out a GM to run a Savage Worlds One Shot so I could try out the system. SavageRobby stepped up and volunteered. At the last minute, however, his work sent him out of the state, and I picked up the challenge of running the game, so I never got the chance to play in one of his games. Well, his life has since settled down a little, and he contacted me a few weeks back with an offer to still run a One Shot for us if we still wanted it. Since I have only played Savage Worlds for two One Shots (a Tron scenario and a Solomon Kane scenario), I jumped at the chance to play. We got six players together, and SavageRobby ran a game for us. Of course, as I suspected, we had a blast.

WARNING: The synopsis of the scenario below probably contains spoilers for Paizo's Gamemastery Module D0: Hollow's Last Hope. Although SavageRobby rewrote parts of this adventure to make it function as a One Shot, if you don't want to spoil your gaming experience, please skip the Synopsis and read the Commentary with care.

The Synopsis:

Our brave party of six adventurers gathered together at an Inn a half-day's travel from our old hometown, Falcon's Hollow. As children, we had all grown up in this village, but had left town to find our own paths. Now, we were returning to our hometown for the Festival of Red Fireflies, which is held every five years in the village. This made a nice excuse to get together as a party, and we immediately began to make up details of our lives together growing up.

Our party of six comprised of: Breene, a human rogue; Karg, a half-orc mercenary; Varren, a dwarven warrior; Ramey, a human ranger; Josiah (my character), a half-elven wizard; and Pallius, a human priest.

While at the inn, we heard tale of a plague spreading through our hometown of Falcon's Hollow, so we rented some horses and made our way quickly home. As we arrived, we were challenged by guards, but a quick bribe on Breene's part got us into the village. There, we saw the devastation the plague had wrought. Many of the townfolk were infected, and the children at the orphanage that raised me (being a half-elf and all) were among the hardest hit. Nothing pulls at a half-elven wizard's heartstrings more than children on the brink of death.

We learned quickly that magic was ineffective against the disease, and that the source came from an infestation of black scum within the village's well. While I could have cleared the scum with a fiery blast, Pallius warned me that doing so may release the disease with the clouds of smoke that would have emerged, and suggested we find a better way to resolve this. Ramey, a friend of the local herbalist, discovered that the herbalist had a possible cure that required three ingredients. These ingredients could only be found in the depths of the haunted fey wood known as the Darkmoon Vale, and so we took it upon ourselves to fetch these ingredients.

Our first stop took us to the tallest tree within the Vale in search of a special mold. We had but stepped into the clearing surrounding the trunk of the great tree when a drake leapt upon us from the boughs high above. The fight was vicious, for the beast was hardy, and we rained many a blow upon it before the drake finally fell dead at our feet. Good fortune was with us, and none were seriously hurt, although for many of us, our luck had surely run out.

We then made our way to the hut of an old hedge witch, whom I had heard had passed away in recent years. On the shore of the lake, we came upon her hovel guarded by the skulls of humanoids mounted on pikes. In an unearthy silence, we crept to her door, and found what we thought to be her corpse within (yet it proved to be only a mannekin prepared to look like a mummified body). We gathered what we had come for, left coin for our ingredient, and made our way to the last ingredient.

A day's travel brought us to ruins of an old dwarven monastery, abandoned long ago for reasons unknown. We approached the ruins with trepidation, slipping inside and beginning our search for the special mushroom that was our last ingredient. Sadly, a pack of wolves, led by a dire wolf, had made the old building their lair, and it was a rough fight to drop the pack and its leader. Finally, we had slain the beasts, and so we set about to recover the mushrooms.

From there, we returned to the township, and the herbalist saved the village. Yay!

The End...

The Commentary:

It was great fun to sit on the other side of the screen for a change. SavageRobby is a fantastic GM. In addition to the prep work of converting the D20 adventure to Savage Worlds, he also brought along a lot of seconadary props to add to the gaming experience, including paper 3D miniatures of a hovel, some flip maps for each location, notes on our character's memories and knowledges to give us at the appropriate time, and so on. He had prepped each of our Pregen characters with full write-ups on powers, edges and hindrances, and provided us each with a mini. He went all out, and I appreciated it very much. (I'm good, but I'm not this good. ;) )

Being an experienced Savage Worlds GM, SavageRobby had a few rules variants he enjoyed following, such as removing the Guts skill and just using Spirit for Fear checks, a common rule variant that I'd read about online. These rules changes were minimal, and I had no problem making the adjustments, but I did note these as subtle differences in how we ran games. I think SavageRobby is more comfortable with bending the rules to work with his concept of the milieu. I'm sure I'll get there in time, but I did get to see different approaches to the rules through this experience, and I liked the diversity it gave me in evaluating my own approaches.

Our first big opponent was a drake, a small wyvern-like beast that took forever to kill. I had never ran nor played against a monster with the Hardy trait before (i.e. a special ability that did not convert a second Shaken condition to a wound), and the drake's Toughness was high enough that we had a very, very hard time getting our damage over the 18 needed to actually wound the beast. We did keep it shaken about half the time, through the use of gang-up bonuses, wild attacks and called shots, as well as the occasional Trick and/or Test of Will. Still, I think even the GM was surprised at how long it stood up to our onslaught. We spent many a bennie in keeping ourselves from dropping, and so many of us left that fight with either one bennie or no bennies left at the end.

Our second big fight was against a dire wolf and a pack of wolves. This time, we were more effective, and the pack went down fairly quickly, letting us feel like heroes. The dire wolf took a bit longer, but we enjoyed the challenge. From the perspective of showing off the system, it would have been better to have this encounter first and the drake second. However, since they are tied to different areas and we took the path we did, there's really no way it could have happened in that manner. Fortunately, half of the players had previous SW experience, and were able to help the new guys along through both encounters.

Despite only being two encounters, plus RP scenes at the hut and early on in the game back at Falcon's Hollow and the mining camp upriver, the session felt fast and furious, and was definitely action-packed. I burned my bennies fairly quickly, and so there was extra tension for me during the second encounter. Still, I had fun.

As an aside, this was the first time I'd ever used Adventure Cards as part of a session. My character got one that allowed him to take a complete second turn (move and actions) once during the session. I used that to aid the party against the dire wolf in the final encounter. Others used cards that granted bonuses to adjacent allies for the turn, and so on. They were interesting ideas and events, but as the cards require a bit of work to prepare for the game (i.e. take the PDF to Kinko's and print them out on cardstock, cut them out and put them into card protectors), I'm going to have to think about it some more before I introduce them into my game.

All in all, I had a great time, and I look forward to other opportunities to play in one of SavageRobby's games, either as a One Shot or an ongoing campaign. That is, of course, assuming that SavageRobby was okay with my play style. :)

Of course, as always, if you have any questions, concerns, thoughts or observations, please feel free to share them.

With Regards,
Flynn

Torillan

First Post
Flynn, thank you for taking time to post these.

I too am discovering the wonders of Savage Worlds, and I hope to convert my Pathfinder stuff at some point. While I may still get the new Pathfinder RPG next year, I am very much enthralled with SW.

I'd be interested to hear what rules and toolkits SavageRobby used to convert from d20. I'm thinking of picking up the SW Fantasy Bestiary and Fantasy Gear toolkits.

Thanks again, and I look forward to more reports!

Andrew

Flynn

First Post
Torillan:

The creation of a Savage Worlds Pathfinder conversion seems to be a popular topic lately. While I cannot answer for SavageRobby on this matter, I have offered the following advice to another GM before on the subject. I hope that it helps you as well.

As far as the mechanics go, bear in mind that Pathfinder is, all things considered, a pretty standard fantasy game, so the various Fantasy Toolkits would be an excellent investment. I would definitely agree that you should pick up the Bestiary, the Gear and the World Builder Toolkits. The character toolkit is mostly a random background generator, and while interesting, would probably add little to your particular conversion.

In addition, I'd suggest you look about for all the free conversions and stuff you can find online. At the very least, I suggest that you grab the "Savage Beasts" PDF for more monsters (this can be found over on the Savage Heroes conversion page, IIRC), and the "Warriors & Wizards" web supplement and the D20-to-Savage Worlds conversion document floating around on the Pinnacle website.

If you need more than that, feel free to check out the "Advanced Dungeon and Savages" fan conversion, the "Savage Fantasy" fan conversion and the "Savage Warcraft" fan conversion. All of these can be downloaded from the following:
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm

If you still need more info to help you with your conversion, then you could spend money to pick up the following products: "Evernight Player's Guide", "Shaintar Player's Guide" and "50 Fathoms Player's Guide". With all of those resources at your disposal, you should be able to cobble together a fantastic fantasy game with loads of options.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

With Regards,
Flynn

Torillan

First Post
Thanks for the tips.

I do have the Warriors & Wizards file already, and it is a good help. The link to the Savage Beasts .pdf appears broken. Do you know of any other sites hosting it, or where else I can get it?

Thanks again.

SavageRobby

First Post
Torillan said:
Flynn, thank you for taking time to post these.

I too am discovering the wonders of Savage Worlds, and I hope to convert my Pathfinder stuff at some point. While I may still get the new Pathfinder RPG next year, I am very much enthralled with SW.

I'd be interested to hear what rules and toolkits SavageRobby used to convert from d20. I'm thinking of picking up the SW Fantasy Bestiary and Fantasy Gear toolkits.

Thanks again, and I look forward to more reports!

Andrew

Flynn does a great job on his reports. I suspect he could make a trip to the dentist sound enthralling - but that is one thing that makes him a fun player to have. :)

I don't have the SW Bestiary - between all the other resources available and the ease of monster creation in the stock system, I never found the need for it. I do have the Fantasy Gear toolkit (which is okay) and the Fantasy Worldbuilder (which is awesome), along with the Horror GM Toolkit, which is also very good. I've also pulled powers, edges and hindrances from Evernight, 50 Fathoms, Deadlands, Tour of Darkness, Rippers, Necropolis, Lowlife, Runepunk, Shaintar and now Solomon Kane, and probably one or two other official Savage Worlds books as well, plus things from other Savage coversions (Advanced Dungeons and Savages was a great inspiration, as was the Savage Lejendary conversion) and other game systems. If its a cool power, edge or hindrance, I nab it and add it to my master list. (My list is mostly tailored to fantasy, but could be quickly repurposed to other genres.)

If you're interested in Fantasy, I would definitely get the Fantasy World Builder toolkit, the Horror GM Toolkit and the Shaintar Player's Guide. For some great summoning rules (akin to the old 1st edition Stormbringer summoning rules), as well as a nice system of racial edges and a few other cool touches, I really like Runepunk (I'm not sure if there is a player's guide or not). Solomon Kane has an interesting alternate magic system that makes magic less tactical and more strategic, and I'll be using elements of that in my Pathfinder game (mostly for NPCs).

As for converting itself the adventures themselves ... well, I mainly focus on the flavor and fluff bits, especially for the game world. I also did some "class packages" for Savage Worlds - basically a correlation between the d20 classes that are mentioned in the Pathfinder Player's Guide (which I bought and gave to my players, since its 90% fluff - and good fluff at that) and the Savage Worlds equivalents, to give them a baseline and idea. I also did "stock" d20 Arcane Backgrounds (Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, Cleric and Monk - Bards don't cast spells) so they paralleled, and each Arcane Background has its own twist to differentiate it, and they are Savage ABs, so the deviate from a lot of the d20 norms.

One thing I'm a big believer in, especially after running our Evernight game is to let the players help shape the game world during character creation. Evernight has a very, very basic game world that is 95% open (and I mean "open"). So when my group made their characters, I asked them to each pick a different region, and help define the region a bit as they made their characters. We learned that one city (on the far east coast) was called the "End of the World" Endin and was a pit, and that one was the City of Gladiators, and that there was an elven prophecy about Nightfall (the big plot hook) and so forth. It was fantastic.

So I'm doing the same in Pathfinder. I love to get characters into the game and the world itself, to be part of the fabric of everything instead of just bystanders. In our early character discussions, we have one character who is the daughter of Risa but works at the Rusty Dragon with Ameiko, and by happenstance, another character (the resident Monk) - whose family has served Ameiko's family since they sailed here (hence, his Monkish powers, learned from the family) - also works at the Rusty Dragon as a bouncer.

For the rest of converting, I mostly play by ear. The nice thing about SW is that its easy to ratchet encounters up or down, so I'm going to mainly convert as I go (typically the adventure prior), throw in side treks and random encounters as appropriate and desired, and let the players go off on wild tangents if they want to. One thing I like doing things this way is that players don't have drastically more information than their characters - so they don't off the top of their head what the Fighting and Toughness of a Goblin or Skeleton or Zombie or whatnot is. That makes the sense of fear and wonder a bit more real as well. :)

Torillan

First Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the tidbits on what works best.

I was planning on getting the Bestiary toolkit, but I think I'll get the Worldbuilder instead, along with the Shaintar PG. I should be getting Solomon Kane delivered in the next day or two (DYING to see this one!!)

This have given me some great inspiration, and I'll feel more confident about my Pathfinder conversions!!

Thanks again.

Remove ads