Experiences playing "oddball" (base) classes

Thurbane

First Post
Hi all,

In our games, we've played (mostly) core classes (with some PHB II).

I was wondering what people have found playing "oddball" base classes, that don't readily fit into the mold of the "big four". Things like Factotum, Binder, Dragon Shaman, Warlock etc.

Cheers - T

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know how "oddball" you'd consider psionics, but I really like the Soulknife & PsyWar. I've also seen some people have fun with the Battle Sorcerer, Duskblade & Warmage.

Zelc

First Post
I'm currently playing a Society Mind (possibly the best support character ever?) in a high-powered PbP campaign. It started just recently, so I'll have to tell you how it is later.

Fortunately, we're starting at level 10. Sadly, the class looks like a pain to play at low levels :(, especially with the limited Worldthought Network range and the lack of ways to actively contribute in combat at levels 1 and 2. Also, the Society Mind suffers from MAD, but fortunately we're using something like 40 point buy :).

Clarifications on Society Mind rules if you want to run one yourself.

rgard

Adventurer
Thurbane said:
Hi all,

In our games, we've played (mostly) core classes (with some PHB II).

I was wondering what people have found playing "oddball" base classes, that don't readily fit into the mold of the "big four". Things like Factotum, Binder, Dragon Shaman, Warlock etc.

Cheers - T

I've played a Warlock, but multiclassed with Sorcerer and on to Eldritch Theurge. I only played the straight Warlock for 3 levels. It was fun blasting everyone and everything.

My son played a Thrikeen (sp?) Warlock to good effect. We played in a campaign where the DM was used to making us do serious resource management through loads of encounters and we could always count on the bug warlock to maintain the blasting while the other arcane casters cast the buffs and battlefield control spells.

I haven't played the others though I always wanted to play a Binder/Wizard and whatever Theurge PrC there is for that combo.

Thanks,
Rich

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My son played a Thrikeen (sp?) Warlock to good effect.

I'm glad you said that.

I've actually had more experience playing outre races than unusual classes in 3.X. Sometimes playing an unfamiliar race or race/class combo can breathe a lot of life into a class you once regarded as ho-hum.

rgard

Adventurer
Oops, thought of two more:

Maybe Battle Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana could qualify for being oddball. I love that class. Played several.

One really different class is the Fiendblade. Ari Marmell wrote that one. It's a hoot. The Fiendblade is a light/medium armored fighter type who has demons/devils for pets/assistants. I really enjoyed playing that class. It is from the Classes of Legend series of pdfs. I think you can get it at the EnWorld store. It ranks up there in my top 3 favorite pdfs...and I've purchased alot of pdfs here and elsewhere.

rgard

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
I'm glad you said that.

I've actually had more experience playing outre races than unusual classes in 3.X. Sometimes playing an unfamiliar race or race/class combo can breathe a lot of life into a class you once regarded as ho-hum.

I've pretty much stuck with humans in 3.X, which is way different from 1E when I played every possible iteration of elf, half elf, dwarf, half-orc, half-ogre and even a Klingon stranded in Greyhawk once.

My lack of variety with respect to race even went to naming the characters. I had 4 different 'Roberts' (French pronounciation 'robair'); 3 D&D characters and 1 Star Wars character played in 4 different campaigns that mostly overlapped/ran concurrently.

My most out of the box character in 3.x is a female wizard/ur-priest/mt...of course she's human.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Dragon shaman and divine mind are the two most oddball base classes I've seen in play - their roles are not at all immediately obvious. They're really kind of nifty, and the players enjoyed them a lot.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always saw Divine Minds as a nicely done, psionic take on the Paladin. I know they don't have full BAB- no WotC psi class does, AFAIK- but they still seem to have that vibe to me.

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind a redone Paladin class drafted along similar lines as the Divine Mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases