(B1) In Search of Adventure!

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
This review might take those of you with a 100 baud modem awhile to load up, but that's your own fault. It's 1983, so buy a 300 baud modem and shut up.

B1 In Search of Adventure is the first module for D&D I've managed to find at K-Mart, and they only wanted $2.95 for it, so I scooped it up and headed right home with it. I know it's D&D and not AD&D, but I was hoping to scavenge the maps and plots out of it and just use my AD&D stuff to play it.

Let's start with the cover: It's monochrome, so no surprises there. The artwork looks OK, but my version is a little blurry, and it looks it's been bent in half at least once, but that's OK.

Inside is a single book and two maps printed on the backside of the cover. The map is pretty complex, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out for experienced DM's to get the party confused and lost pretty quickly. It's standard blue on white, so it's easy on the eyes and doesn't smear like the black ink ones do.

The module itself is a great disappointment. It looks like someone at T$R dropped the ball, since there is only one of the encounters statted out, and it looks like ol' EGG-Head left in the notes from when he played it through, as it is a bunch of dead adventurer's and dead monsters.

Thanks, T$R, I bought this hoping to have a pre-made module to run, and you screwed it up by leaving all the enteries blank. What kind of crap is this? I even checked the package to make sure the letters hand't fallen out, but it was empty.

Room descriptions are still there, though, giving the feel of a giant empty lair or some long dead wizard, or maybe even an evil warlord, but without anything inside, it's a cakewalk for players who won't find any loot or anything to fight, which means that they won't get XP.

We tried playing through it, but it was soooooo boring. Maybe it's fun for the guys in Lake Geneva to crawl through an empty dungeon, but it reminded me of having to go shopping with my mom. You get to look at stuff, but there's nothing to do.

The pictures inside weren't very good. One of my pictures had some really stupid looking guys staring at a cup, but nowhere in the text was this magical cup listed, so I figure it's just a picture someone drew on a napkin and they put it in the book.

While the area is nicely detailed, and there is even help for new DM's in the front, the module itself is a failure. No bad guys, just empty listings for monsters and treasure, no traps, or even anything interesting. It's nice that Mr. Gygax can write a lovely scene or a cool dungeon, but forgetting the monsters and treasure? Shame on you.

Once again, T$R's derision and scorn for the player and DM is evident with this piece of trash.

Unless you like filling in blank monster and treasure listings that T$R forgot to fill in, avoid this module. It's total crap, and not worth the $2.95 they're asking for it.

--Tiny Tim

Bohemian Earspoon

First Post
You're a moron. Look at the back; all the encounters are RIGHT THERE! You just have to move them into a room.

This was the first thing connected to D&D I ever saw, at summer camp. I read the whole thing through cover to cover twice. I didn't really understand it, but it was love at first sight.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
K-Mart, eh? I remember being able to find D&D books at Kay-Bee Toys at the mall. I know I got several modules and the first Red Steel box set there.

And seeing "T$R" again makes my blood run cold. A- for authenticity.

Bargle

First Post
The only problem with B1 is a simple one at the very core of the adventure. No Bargle the Infamous! This can be solved in a simple and straightforward manner - namely by interjecting me into the adventure. Obviously as the ultimate, nay, supra-ultimate villain.

In this same manner, many adventures can be improved. Castle Amber? Bargle D'Amberville. Isle of Dread? Dinosaurs controlled by moi. Castle Caldwell and Beyond? OK, there are limitations to even my abilities. But you get the general idea.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The problem is that that is a basic adventure.

You want the good stuff? Get Judges Guild.

cavernsofthracia.jpg
modron.jpg
tegelmanor1.jpg

Don't wait!

B1 was In Search of the Unknown. In Search of Adventure was the compilation "supermodule" of B1-9 that left out some of best material from certain modules. In fact, In Search of Adventure didn't even include the text of B1 -- only the map.

Bohemian Earspoon

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
B1 was In Search of the Unknown. In Search of Adventure was the compilation "supermodule" of B1-9 that left out some of best material from certain modules. In fact, In Search of Adventure didn't even include the text of B1 -- only the map.
...I stand corrected. You know, I never knew that.

Remove ads