Player's Guide to Oathbound - free download

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Ghostwind

Player's Guide to Oathbound - free download

After a discussion with Tom Knauss and given the fact that nothing is being done with the Oathbound campaign setting world by its current owners, he has agreed to release the Player's Guide to Oathbound as a free download. It is a relatively raw document, but does address the need for a 3.5 edition update to Oathbound: The Domains of the Forge.

You may freely distribute this document and have it photocopied or printed for personal use. It may be downloaded from http://ghostwind.net/PGO.zip (just right click and select Save As...)

Enjoy.
    Steve Creech
    DragonWing Games/Bastion Press

"I am he who rules the world, don't you know? One little piece at a time. I am the stuff of Riordan Parnell's most outrageous songs, and I am a confused memory for those whose lives I've entered and departed." -- Jarlaxle, Road of the Patriarch

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Voadam
    Excellent! Thanks for talking to him. Though it is disappointing that nothing more is being done with the setting I am enjoying running my Wildwood campaign and look forward to seeing this.
    PBP games:

Death in Freeport IC OOC Adversaries RG Info
    Wildwood IC Old IC II OOC RG Info Old IC Monsters
    Dwarven Vengeance Monsters

ToEE Sir Merrick OOC IC Old IC
    RToEE Inquisitor Miltiades OOC IC Old IC
    Ptolus Longcoat Garn OOC
    Against the Giants Voadam IC OOC
    Pool of Radiance Kordunn IC Combat OOC Info
    Invasion of Mori Snargle fiendish troll rogue IC OOC
    Red Hand of DoomSir Conrad Cyr Tiefling Soulknife

Old Games

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Blog Entries

Ignore Reveille
    Its a shame that Oathbound has been abandoned. It is one of my Top 10 favorite third party campaigns. Many thanks for the free PDF though.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Blog Entries

Ignore Crothian
    Sweet!! Thanks for this Steve!!

Ignore DMH
    Thanks Steve!

I wish Greg would crawl out from under the rock and tell us what is going to happen with the setting.
    Lifetime member of the Xerces Society
    [Invertebrate Conservation]

Sustainable Living

http://alternityrpg.net

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Ghostwind
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH
    Thanks Steve!

I wish Greg would crawl out from under the rock and tell us what is going to happen with the setting.
    Considering that it is literally costing them money every day they do nothing, I'm at a loss why Greg has chosen the course he has. The warehouse fees alone would motivate any other person. But it is his baby and I'm sure someday he'll do something with it...
    Steve Creech

"I am he who rules the world, don't you know? One little piece at a time. I am the stuff of Riordan Parnell's most outrageous songs, and I am a confused memory for those whose lives I've entered and departed." -- Jarlaxle, Road of the Patriarch

Slumbering in Tsar
    Lama (Lvl 13)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore DaveMage
    Thanks, Steve!

I'd love to see the other domains fleshed out at some point.
    Only you can prevent forest fires. That's right - you!

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Ghostwind
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMage
    I'd love to see the other domains fleshed out at some point.
    The chances of this happening are next to nothing. The only reason this book was released was because Tom had it done and sitting on his hard drive. There will be no future Oathbound material unless something changes regarding ownership of the property.
    Steve Creech

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Starman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwind
    ...unless something changes regarding ownership of the property.
    So, when are you going to buy it, Steve?
    What would Kirk do?

Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore Darrin Drader
    You know, I always thought that book came out when I wasn't looking. I can't believe it's sat dormant for this long.
    Darrin Drader - Writer/RPG Game Designer - www.amazon.com/author/darrindrader

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

In a state of regret for allowing myself to get so damned fat.

Ignore Wisdom Penalty
    Quote Originally Posted by Reveille
    Its a shame that Oathbound has been abandoned. It is one of my Top 10 favorite third party campaigns. Many thanks for the free PDF though.
    Jeez. How many "third party campaign settings" are there? Can't be more than 15.

Oathbound ain't supported because Oathbound ain't sellin'. If it sold, it'd have more support.

Brilliant, I know.

W.P.
    Wake up, brush teeth, shower, shave, get banned by Rel.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    On 4E: So far my initial concerns aren't justified. There is just as much roleplaying, just as much behind-the-scenes maneuvering, and just as much character interaction -- with far easier DM prep, faster and more tactically rich combat (now that the learning curve for each player's powers is diminishing), and a longer adventuring day. Yeah, I'm having a blast.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore Darrin Drader
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Penalty
    Jeez. How many "third party campaign settings" are there? Can't be more than 15.

Oathbound ain't supported because Oathbound ain't sellin'. If it sold, it'd have more support.

Brilliant, I know.

W.P.
    Actually that isn't true, at least not entirely. Compared to most third party campaign settings, Oathbound sold like gangbusters. Unfortunately Bastion's business plan was built around a high volume of sales like a publisher would expect to see right after the release of 3E. There were a number of successful publishers after 2003, but they worked from a completely different business model which didn't involve printing up thousands of copies of every book. Most successful third party publishers that managed to survive the glut learned to run lean, print short, and then reprint as necessary, often taking orders and then fulfilling through print on demand or other printers that specialized in printing short runs. There were other business decisions that contributed to Bastion's demise, like having some people on as full time employees when they realistically should have farmed out all of their design work. The bottom line, though, is that there are a lot of publishers out there today who would do just about anything to have half the sales Oathbound products had. Unfortunately the market reality is that unless you're WotC and one or two others publishing d20, that just isn't happening.
    Darrin Drader - Writer/RPG Game Designer - www.amazon.com/author/darrindrader

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Blog Entries

Ignore Reveille
    Oh really? You might want to have a look at this thread.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

In a state of regret for allowing myself to get so damned fat.

Ignore Wisdom Penalty
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperfoot
    Actually that isn't true, at least not entirely.<snip>
    Not only was a wrong, but I was wrong twice. That elevates me from ignorance to idiocy.

Dangit.

W.P.
    Wake up, brush teeth, shower, shave, get banned by Rel.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    On 4E: So far my initial concerns aren't justified. There is just as much roleplaying, just as much behind-the-scenes maneuvering, and just as much character interaction -- with far easier DM prep, faster and more tactically rich combat (now that the learning curve for each player's powers is diminishing), and a longer adventuring day. Yeah, I'm having a blast.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Ghostwind

W.P.
    Actually Oathbound sold very well and had a good support structure in place. What hurt Oathbound was same thing that hurt all d20 publishers - the bursting of the bubble. When the d20 bubble burst it affected the development schedule of the company in a dramatic way. In short, like Darrin has said, Bastion did not make the necessary adjustments it needed to as a company to keep Oathbound in the minds of consumers.
    Steve Creech

Thanks for posting this. I ran a couple of successful Oathbound campaigns a few years ago and wouldn't mind revisiting them at some point.
    Cheers NXB

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    The bad thing is I own 23 of those.

The good thing is I don't own all of them.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwind
    After a discussion with Tom Knauss and given the fact that nothing is being done with the Oathbound campaign setting world by its current owners, he has agreed to release the Player's Guide to Oathbound as a free download. It is a relatively raw document, but does address the need for a 3.5 edition update to Oathbound: The Domains of the Forge.

You may freely distribute this document and have it photocopied or printed for personal use. It may be downloaded from http://ghostwind.net/PGO.zip (just right click and select Save As...)

Enjoy.

Thanks for doing this. Very cool of you guys.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore linnorm
    Bitchin'! I've been contemplating running another Oathbound game, this'll definitely help!
    Linnorm

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Ghostwind
    I'm glad you guys are liking this. I only wish we could have published it so it would see print.
    Steve Creech

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast