Fast moving melee character build

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I like Wood Elf Barbarian/Scout/Ranger with pounce variant, Swift Hunter feat, and...I think UA has a variant for Rangers to get Barbarian fast movement? Yeah, but it costs you all 3 combat style feats and gives a rather worthless wildshape ability. Well, maybe to turn into a Leopard or something else with lots of natural attacks and rely solely on skirmish damage...meh.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger

EDIT: Also, one of the MIC item sets has an armor crystal that adds a +5 ft bonus to speed. It's either unnamed, Morale, or otherwise stacks with the multitude of enhancement bonus items out there. And there's always: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick

EDIT 2: Or use that gimped Wildshape to turn into a Deinonychus. Nice base speed of 60 ft, 4 natural attacks, and the only thing cooler than dinosaurs is bear cavalry. (Heh, poster above me mentioned this first, oops)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#deinonychus

Last edited:

Zelc

First Post
moritheil said:
I just spent 15 min looking for it but couldn't find it. Sorry. It's a thread called "Fastest Character," if memory serves.
Well, the Chuck link in my sig goes to the current record-holder for fastest character, but it uses a cheesy tactic that I doubt the DM will allow :). But if you want to move around the country a couple times then throw the BBEG into the sun, sometimes you need a little cheese.

For the character, I'd try to fit some levels of Scout in there. Some Swordsage levels may also be nice, but you probably don't have enough room.

Ambrus

Explorer
Artoomis said:
You might also, at your earliest opportunity, get a good speed-increasing (land speed only) magic item:
Certainly; that's the plan. I'm simply focusing on the build at the moment though; magic items are gravy.
blargney the second said:
Even better than hustle: have a look at the dimension hop power from the Freedom mantle in Complete Psionic. Swift action short range teleportation to avoid AoOs for 1 pp!
Ooh. Very nice.
StreamOfTheSky said:
I like Wood Elf Barbarian/Scout/Ranger with pounce variant
No luck with the pounce variant. My DM took one look at it and laughed. Can't say I blame him; a one level dip to gain pounce? Sign me up! :)
StreamOfTheSky said:
Yeah, but it costs you all 3 combat style feats and gives a rather worthless wildshape ability. Well, maybe to turn into a Leopard or something else with lots of natural attacks and rely solely on skirmish damage...meh.
Or maybe to gain the sexy Cheetah's Speed wild feat. Hm. What's the easiest and quickest way to gain the wild shape ability?
StreamOfTheSky said:
Already planning on it. Thanks. ;)
StreamOfTheSky said:
EDIT 2: Or use that gimped Wildshape to turn into a Deinonychus.
I don't think my DM will go for my trying to turn into dinosaurs; there aren't any in Minrothad... ;)
Zelc said:
Well, the Chuck link in my sig goes to the current record-holder for fastest character, but it uses a cheesy tactic that I doubt the DM will allow :).
I concur, though it is an interesting thought experiment. BTW, I LOVED your Diplojumper build. It had me laughing uncontrollably for a half hour. :lol:
Zelc said:
For the character, I'd try to fit some levels of Scout in there.
I agree, though the build is getting rather tight. We're not likely to play much past 12-14th level so I'm trying to acquire the class abilities I want fairly early on.
Zelc said:
Some Swordsage levels may also be nice, but you probably don't have enough room.
No Book of 9 Swords either, sorry. My DM tossed the book out of the lineup after a gave my gold dragon character a few levels in it. :p

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you're thinking Psionics, there is a first level power called Skate that adds 15' of movement (as an enhancement bonus) upon activation. It has the bonus of being able to be used on allies as well as objects (in the latter case, it lightens the load of heavy objects, allowing them to be more easily dragged along).

As for races, I'd consider making a Wild Elf for the +2 Strength and create a Monk/Psychic Warrior. With powers such as Skate, Dimension Swap, and Dimension Slide, you're gonna be all over the place.

Remove ads