Fast moving melee character build

moritheil

First Post
Ambrus said:
So does this sound crazy? Can anyone do better while maintaining the character's theme?

I'm pretty sure I saw a Xeph monk build that moves over 13,000 ft/rnd. Not thematic for what you're doing, but perhaps you could look it up and pull elements over.

Ambrus

Explorer
moritheil said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a Xeph monk build that moves over 13,000 ft/rnd. Not thematic for what you're doing, but perhaps you could look it up and pull elements over.
Sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find it offhand via search. Link?

Artoomis

First Post
You might also, at your earliest opportunity, get a good speed-increasing (land speed only) magic item:

IIRC:

Sandals of the Light Step (9,000 gp) give you a 10' bonus to land movement plus you get to ignore difficult terrain. This is an enhancement bonus, so it won't stack with other enhancement bonuses. (Magic Item Compendium)

The Quickness armor property (5,000 gp) gives you +5 land speed. This is an enhancement bonus, so it won't stack with other enhancement bonuses. (Magic Item Compendium)

You'll want to confirm price and properties of these items in the compendium, of course, in case I made any errors..

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Ambrus said:
Sounds interesting, but I can't seem to find it offhand via search. Link?

I just spent 15 min looking for it but couldn't find it. Sorry. It's a thread called "Fastest Character," if memory serves.

You could go elf, with Barbarian/Ranger/Wildrunner/Cleric (Celerity domain). I've got a Living Greyhawk character built this way.

With Boots of Striding and Springing, he has a base speed of 70 (only the boots' 10 ft. bonus is an enhancement bonus; everything else is just an increase in land speed).

Be sure to max out your jump skill, since it's based on speed. It's fun to jump over 20 ft. chasms, while wearing armor, without having to roll (provided you get a 20 ft. running jump first)--"I take a '1' on my Jump roll; that's a 40."

With my character, I have not concentrated on high damage output, but you could take some different feats than I did to be better with your weapons. Or get better weapons. My guy went Two-Weapon Fighting and Spring Attack--I don't know why. ;)

moritheil

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
You could go elf, with Barbarian/Ranger/Wildrunner/Cleric (Celerity domain). I've got a Living Greyhawk character built this way.

With Boots of Striding and Springing, he has a base speed of 70 (only the boots' 10 ft. bonus is an enhancement bonus; everything else is just an increase in land speed)

Which version of the Celerity domain are you using? I'm pretty sure I saw one with the +10' listed as an enhancement bonus.

moritheil said:
Which version of the Celerity domain are you using? I'm pretty sure I saw one with the +10' listed as an enhancement bonus.

I'm using the Spell Compendium version:

SpellCompendium said:
Your land speed is faster than the norm for your race by 10 feet. This benefit is lost if you are wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Complete Divine has the same wording (well, it says, "by +10 feet" instead of just "by 10 feet"). I have no idea where you might have seen it defined as an enhancement bonus, but I don't have every WotC book so I can't check every single one.

My friend playing a Scout has the enhancement restriction, because the Scout speed increases are listed as such. Of course, we both glare at the wizard if he doesn't cast Haste on his first turn. Why move 70 when you can move 90? ;)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Ambrus said:
The Hustle power on the other hand could keep my character moving after a Pounce though...
Even better than hustle: have a look at the dimension hop power from the Freedom mantle in Complete Psionic. Swift action short range teleportation to avoid AoOs for 1 pp!

Darklone

Ambrus said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't I need 13 levels of Scout to gain +6d6 skirmish damage, on top of my barbarian/other levels?

I'll admit, additional Scout levels are attractive though... but so... many... feats... needed... :heh:
Swift Hunter: Add ranger and scout levels together for your effective skirmish damage... e.g. scout3/ranger10/bbn2 and you have it :D

And you can still add some dervish levels... but for all day effectivity I'd rather take Dual Strike. And then the char can use a few dervish dancers per day for the BBEG fights.

MadWand

First Post
I'd recommend a Barbarian 1/Druid X build. Mix in Nature's Warrior or Warshaper levels to taste. Your first druid level gives you the Longstrider spell, which you can later extend with a rod of lesser extend spell. At 6th level when you get wildshape, now you are really moving. Wildshape into a deinonychus, which has a base 60' move among many other benefits (pounce, +8 to several good skills, good natural armor, and many attacks). Get a wilding clasp and boots of speed to add another +30 to your speed. You'll be able to charge as far as you need to, really, and kill any CR-appropriate target. Druids also get great movement-boosting spells, such as burrowing or flying spells. You can take feats to go even faster, but after a certain point, more movement doesn't really help. Once you are able to charge across a battlemap, being faster doesn't matter.

Remove ads