GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
Serana answers Tank's question as they walk. "My late husband Jonas grew up here. He was... a very charming man. Handsome and well-spoken, and generous. He had many friends. When we married and I moved here, everything was wonderful for a while. Then Lara came, and... well, some men are better at fathering children than at being fathers, I guess, and he grew restless. He drank more and more, and grew angry with me when I begged him to stay at home. He started drinking at home as well as in the tavern, and one day... well, he drank from the wrong bottle, by mistake. I am a bit of an alchemist, you see; and though my bottles are all labelled, you have to be sober enough to read the labels for that to be any help. Of course, his friends at the tavern would never believe but that I did it to him on purpose, and I suspect that I only escaped an 'accident' of my own due to Lara. Now I avoid those in town as much as possible, and they do the same for me. Unless they're sick, of course, or their cows need worming, or one of those empty-headed girls wakes up in the wrong bed at the wrong time of month. Then they're friendly enough to me, for a little while..."

At the cave, the ladder is quickly set up, and moving carefully, Tank climbs it and carries down the frightened little girl and the lantern. Serana sweeps her into her arms, and there are tears of relief all around. While up there, Tank can see another body of about the same state of decomposition as the first, dressed in robes and sandals. There is a staff nearby, as well as a worn backpack.

(ooc: assuming that the backpack is examined further...)

In the backpack are a spellbook, well preserved in a protective leather case, with 13 pages filled with arcane writing, a coin pouch with 50g in it, and a long scroll, also wrapped in leather. The scroll appears to be in the Dwarven runic script, but is not in any dialect of Dwarven that anyone here recognizes.

jaker2003

Explorer
Tank carries the backpack down. After pulling the coin purse out, he holds out the packpack, saying, "Elfblood, what can you tell us about these?"

Robichaud

Explorer
Jinx welcomes the ladder team with a wave and tired-looking smile. "Heya, welcome back. Hope there weren't no problems along the way."

When Lara's been rescued (and the loot secured) he cheers with the others, though he's still got that ragged edge of weariness about him. "All this, a lil' loot to boot, and no one had t'die for it. I figure I'd be dancin' a jig if I weren't so tired. Ma'am.." he adresses Serana. "..would you happen t'own a place where a bunch of weary travelers can put their feet up for the night?"

covaithe

Explorer
Phelan takes a moment to look up in response to Tank's query. "Hmmm? Well, I don't know what I can tell you. The pages in this spellbook aren't divine spells, and the scribblings of wizards are beyond my training. As for that scroll... I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. Tomorrow I can try to see if it's magical, if you like, but if I do, that's one less spell I can use to patch you up."

Serana lets out a surprised laugh at Jinx's question. "Sorry, I just thought it was funny that you would ask about beds after... well, never mind. Anyway, you can try the inn, if you like. This gentleman seems to be more persuasive than I've managed to be," she indicates Tank. "...or you can try to sweet-talk old Burtrell into letting you sleep in his hayloft, if the inn's not to your liking. And of course you are welcome in my home, though all I can offer is a clean floor, and one bed."

covaithe

Explorer
Hearing no disagreement with Tank's proposal, Serana gathers Lara up in her arms and leads the way back to her house. The inside of the house proves clean and cozy, fragrant with hanging bundles of drying herbs above shelves of neatly labelled bottles. Spaces are quickly cleared on the floor, grouped around the fireplace. Serana takes one of the floor spots, insistent that one of the wounded sleeps in the bed. A fire is lit, and soon the house is warm and drowsy.

In the morning, Phelan and Serana put their heads together and begin casting healing spells. Soon the party is back at full strength.

[sblock=healing]Overnight, William and Tank gain 1 HP, and Octavio gains 3. Serana casts CLW twice on William, curing 5 and 6. Phelan and Serana each cast CMW twice on Tank, healing 4 total. Then Phelan casts CLW on Octavio, healing 4. By my count, everyone is back at full health.
[/sblock]

The healing duties accomplished, Serana disappears into a back room for a minute and returns carrying a small leather case. Opening it, she shows you a small mithral pipe hanging from a loop, and a tiny silver hammer carefully separated from it by straps and a leather barrier. On the case are ten pips of soft leather hanging from the edge, of which two have been broken off.

Serana hands the case to William. "My mother told me that this chime would open any door or lock, but it can only be used eight more times. Just point the tube at the lock and strike it with the hammer. I have never had cause to use it, so it is a small price to pay for my Lara's rescue. I just wish I could give you more."

ooc: This town is too small to have much in the way of magical items, but you can buy mundane supplies if you like. Please let me know if you're doing any shopping, or if you are ready to move on. Up next: XP!

covaithe

Explorer
XP award 1

Tank, Jinx, William, and Octavio get the following:

For defeating the two rat bandits, 200 xp.
For defeating the cave panther (mechanically a lion, but with darkvision), 150 xp.
For rescuing Lara, 100 xp

In addition, Tank and William get 56 xp for defeating 3 halfling commoners.

For 7 months adventuring time, Tank, Jinx, and William each get 350 xp, and Octavio gets 1050 xp. That covers from 5 April through 5 November.

Totals:
Tankard: 856
William: 856
Jinx: 800
Octavio: 1500

jaker2003

Explorer
OOC:
Octavio found 100pp + 300gp
Divided by 4 (Thargon is without a player and is being NPC'd)
25pp + 75gp each

Tank found 50gp
divided by 4
12gp + 5sp (provided everyone has at least 5sp to exchange to keep the shares equal)

That's 25pp + 87gp + 5sp each for the 4 remaining players.
(Tank also found a spellbook and a scroll, but he's clinging to that for now)

IC:
Tank's going shopping, so he's divvying up the treasure. Tank keeps an eye out for any shop or cottage in town that might sell magical goods of any sort, but doesn't really expect to find one.

Tank makes a short shopping list in his head and purchases as many as he can:
Code:
20 pitons        2gp 
1 hammer         5sp
50ft. Silk rope 10gp
Composite Longbow with a high strength rating (preferably +6)
     100gp +100gp X rating
 . . . You got one in masterwork?

Heckler

First Post
ooc: Thanks for doing the math, Jaker. Don't forget we just got a chime of opening, also. We can use it for now, and sell it after the adventure. Or, if someone wants it, they can buy out the others party's shares.

I believe Octavio is ready to go. No leveling, and I don't think I need to go shopping. I'll take a quick look through the PHB later and double-check, but I'm pretty sure I'm good.

Kenku17

First Post
William says "Could someone exchange me 100 gold for 10 platinum? I am a little short on gold, and I would like to purchase some better armor"

(If they have it in town, Im gonna get some breastplate...that is unless Im forgetting a rule and I need it custom fitted)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases