GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

covaithe

Explorer
"Actually, Master Gribble, it just occured to me that we've some surplus supplies we need to get rid of. Nothing special, mind you, but I'm sure we could come to some arrangement of mutual satisfaction."

Gribble nods. "Aye, I'll buy yer supplies off ye. There's always some fool thinkin' his hide isn't worth the cost of proper equipment, and damned if I want my apprentices thinkin' they can make money on that kind of work."

[sblock=loot]You can sell loot here. What Gribble won't buy, he'll point you to a buyer for. You can also pay to identify things if you're so inclined. I can't remember... did I specify how many pages of the spellbook were filled?
[/sblock]

"That skeleton seems to enjoy trouble," Weel says innocently enough. "You can't be the only one he's pestered, are you?"

Gribble's face darkens, and his beard bristles with barely suppressed rage. Clearly he is not as calm as his professional demeanor suggests. "I've done my best to have nought to do with the likes of him, including paying attention to his doings. That may have been a mistake. I don't know who else he's been botherin', though. Everyone, like as not."

Heckler

First Post
[sblock=loot & math]
I think the only thing that might be worth identifying (i.e. masterwork) is the bow. Do we want to identify it now? We're holding onto it, so we can always check later.

Assuming we're selling stuff at one half retail, I come up with:
2 rapiers @ 10gp = 20gp
2 l. x-bows @ 17.5gp = 35gp
40 bolts @ .5gp/10 = 2gp
1 long sword @ 7.5gp = 7.5gp

total = 64.5gp

Divided between William, Tank and myself = 21.5gp each

Do we need to pay Phalen or Jinx?

covaithe said:
In the backpack are a spellbook, well preserved in a protective leather case, with 13 pages filled with arcane writing, a coin pouch with 50g in it, and a long scroll, also wrapped in leather. The scroll appears to be in the Dwarven runic script, but is not in any dialect of Dwarven that anyone here recognizes.
The coin has already been divvied up.
13 pages of spellbook have been inscribed.
And we'll show Gribble the scroll and see if he can make anything of it.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=magic]Phelan can detect magic for you. I'll assume that he has done so this morning, and informed you that the bow is not magical, but the chain shirt off the skeletal archer is magical.

No need to split the loot with Phelan. I'd slightly prefer that you do set aside a share for Jinx for the encounters he was present for, but I won't stop you if you choose not to. (I'll just adjust later treasure awards to suit. ;))
[/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
[sblock=loot]Setting aside a share for Jinx, that makes 16.125gp per person. We'll need to identify the armor at some point, but we can't afford it out of the party loot right now. If someone wants to pay, we can do that and re-imburse them later, or we can just do the whole thing later.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
As you go about your transactions, the lights in the central square gradually grow dim. Several of the less busy shops begin closing up their stalls.

[sblock=loot]The spellbook will also sell for 650g. I don't feel any need to play that out unless you guys want to.

I'm advancing the clock a bit, mostly because I'm ready to bring Tank back in, but even with LEW's flexible timelines, he won't arrive until the next morning. That doesn't mean you can't do anything else tonight, just letting you know what's going on.
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

Weel notes the bazaar begining to close itself up for the night, and finds himself yawning unwillingly.

"Who thought a day of shopping could be so exhausting?" he says.

Heckler

First Post
[sblock=loot]factoring in the spellbook, that's 162.5 more per share, added to the 16.125 from earlier makes a total of 178.625 per share. Or:
178gp, 6sp, 2.5cp each.

And we still need to identify the armor and do something with the scroll. We can do that after we get Tank back.[/sblock]

ooc: I'm all for getting Tank back. He must be getting lonely all alone in that other thread.

covaithe

Explorer
It is slightly eerie to watch "night" fall in the great cavern, as the lanterns slowly dim and then are extinguished one by one until the cavern has about as much illumination as a moonlit night. The effect is quite convincing, but you cannot help but wonder what the actual time is, above ground.

The common room of the inn is well populated, though the occupants mostly keep to themselves, a few nodding to you in passing.

Jinx is still weak and ashen in his room, and Phelan merely shrugs helplessly when asked about his condition and outlook.

When you retire, the beds are clean and comfortable, and the rooms smell pleasantly of some sweet herb. Morning comes almost as soon as you close your eyes.

When you step outside the inn, you spot a familiar face...

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Tank]

Shortly after dawn, the dwarves, true to their word, lead you through a series of side tunnels that eventually loops back to a larger tunnel leading downward with a faint slope. Your sense of direction is thoroughly confused by all the turns, but your nose suggests that this might be the same tunnel where you fought the duergar, though a different section.

The entrance to the bazaar is straight onward from there. Two well-equipped and competent guards greet you politely, and inform you of the rules.

If questioned about your friends, they recall them vaguely and suggest to ask around at the guards and merchants in the main square, who are more likely to know where they are staying.

Asking around proves unnecessary, though, since almost as soon as you arrive in the main square, your friends emerge from one of the few permanent buildings.

ooc: I still owe you xp for the duergar; I haven't forgotten.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc all] A bit heavy handed; sorry about that, but I've been blocked on this for a few days and care more about moving forward than about finesse just now. :) [/sblock]

Remove ads