GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: At the moment I'm really struggling with the games I have going. There's just too much happening in RL, and I think I'm burning out, so I'm actually going to pull Peladus out of this adventure.

Good luck to you all!

'Nock

thegreyman

First Post
ooc: Good luck in your other quests 'Nock!

If your looking for mechanics for mapmaking, start a proposal thread on the core page of LEW. Possibly start with some mechanics like DC (15/20/25) for maps for different terrains. On a successful check, the map gives +2 on Survival checks for that area. On a failed check, you can retry with additional time spent. Failed by 5 (or 10) or more, and the map is horrible and gets whoever uses it lost. Maybe set up some prices for selling them based on the range of area covered.

-------------------------------------------------

ic: After about 5 minutes, a middle aged man walks into the meeting room. Brown hair with streaks of grey and a square face sit atop a wrestler's body slowly going to fat. Despite this, the man still walks lithely and is quite graceful. His clothes are well made and tailored, and are classy without being too ostentatious. He only wears one signet ring and a pendant necklace for jewelry.

He walks to the end of the table nodding and smiling slightly to the group as he passes. Once at the end, he turns and places both hands on the chair back and grips it firmly. "Welcome! I'm glad to see you all here. My name is Zel Thanas. Please, sit with me and be comfortable." He follows his own advice and sits down.

He waits for everyone to become seated before continuing. "I would like to tell you all the reasons for this meeting, but first my own credentials. I am a merchant with many varied interests throughout the nearby cities and surrounding area. I have the third largest freight enterprise in Medibaria, and own inns, mines, chandlers, and stores scattered throughout the region. I am quite involved with the Academy as I am one of their major suppliers for rare ingredients, and therefore am tied somewhat into the Council."

At his pause, a servant enters bearing a tray of small sandwiches and fruit and sets it on the table in the middle of the gathering before leaving quietly. Zel continues, "As I'm sure some of you know, a great danger is brewing in the wilderness. The recent meeting of the Council concerned the particulars of this event. Suffice to say the evil growing threatens us all."

"Recently, it has come to my attention through a close friend that an item has resurfaced that may help to combat this great evil. Long thought lost, it has been rediscovered in a remote location. The item I speak of is the Urn of Aldamarra!"

[sblock="The Urn of Aldamarra" Knowledge (History) DC 15 (Humans)]The Urn of Aldamarra is an item that features in human history as a powerful protective aid. It is said to have been able to protect an entire nation with it's might and bring great prosperity. It was lost many centuries ago.
[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 20]The Urn was last used about 900 years ago to protect Hendrallia's lands from an onslaught of goblins and orcs out of the mountains. Without this artifact, Hendrallia would surely have been destroyed. It's also known to other cultures by other names having existed in their cultures also.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock="The Urn of Aldamarra" Knowledge (History) DC 15 (Dwarves)]The Urn of Aldamarra is known to Dwarves as Gorek's Chalice. It is said to be able to enrich the ore throughout an entire mine, and cause any underworld beast to shy away from the area, protecting the people. Supposedly, it can turn copper into gold, and iron into mithral.[sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 20]The Chalice was last used by a small Dwarven kingdom (Thak-kel) almost 1300 years ago. With the Chalice, which brought unprecedented riches, the Dwarven kingdom would surely have perished sooner, but sadly a dark elven assault destroyed the kingdom before it could muster it's strength. It's also known to other cultures by other names having existed in their cultures also.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock="The Urn of Aldamarra" Knowledge (History) DC 15 (Orcs)]This knowledge is if Tankard was raised in an orc tradition. If not, use the human knowledge!

The Urn of Aldamarra is known to Orcs as the Cauldron of Blood. Even the weakest runt that drinks a concoction made from it is blessed with the strength of a raging Ogre and the temperament of a wild boar. [sblock=Knowledge (History) DC 20]It was last seen about 300 years ago (although dates vary). It precipitated one of the last great uprisings that ended up sacking several large towns/cities. Before the horde could claim anymore land, the Cauldron was stolen by an elven strike force. Without it, the orcs fell back in great confusion. It's also known to other cultures by other names having existed in their cultures also.[/sblock][/sblock]

"I'm not sure how familiar you are with this artifact, but I'm assured that it features quite prominently in many stories. It's always called by different name, causing great confusion as to when it is actually in use. It's effects differ depending on it's owner, giving protection and healing or chaos and destruction. In the hands of the Council, this could be a great aid to defeating the threats which now loom above us all!"

Zel sighs and leans back, "You may be wondering then, 'If this Urn is so powerful, why are we being tasked to retrieve it?' This then is the answer to that question."

"The person who rediscovered the Urn is a Nesfylim (dark elf) named Umraecyl. A master merchant in his own right, Umraecyl found the Urn in a collection of rubbish. Quickly figuring out what he possessed, he sent out a message to many nations and places of his discovery. You see, Umraecyl does not want the Urn for himself. He realizes that the Urn would provoke too many feelings of jealousy. Therefore he has decided to sell it to the highest bidder!"

"Umraecyl is in a unique position. He is already respected in many areas as an "honest" Nesfylim. It is tough to believe, true, but even his name means "loyal friend". He has long housed a bazaar deep in the Stone Spike mountains where all manner of items could be found and purchased. He ensures this variety by allowing no hostilities within his territory. Blood enemies may meet there without harm! Elves and Nesfylim. Goblins and Dwarves. Even Illithids and Githyanki have faced each other in Umraecyl's Bazaar!"

"He has also realized that many powerful creatures may want the Urn for themselves. Umraecyl specified that no bidder may enter the Bazaar with more than five compatriots, and none of them may be too strong in the martial or magical arts. Thus, he limits the possibility of conflict, and the number of bidders. Many will send intermediaries to the Bazaar, but will unable to come themselves. He has also let it be known that the Urn will not be present until after a winner has been decided to prevent any 'accidents' from befalling the event."

Zel stands and gets a glass of wine before reseating himself. "And that, is where all of you come in. You would be the representative of the Council at this Bazaar to ensure that the Urn did not fall into the wrong hands. Your task is to retrieve the Urn, paying whatever price you must to obtain it."

"I will be providing a surety for the funds needed to purchase the Urn. Furthermore, I will be providing 500 gold to you, to purchase in advance any goods you may need for the journey. Horses will also be supplied so that you may make good time."

Zel leans back then and folds his hands in front of him. "If you have any questions about the mission, this would be the time to ask them."

ooc: Realizing that the party is without a cleric, an NPC cleric can be provided for healing if required.

Last edited:

Kenku17

First Post
"hmm...got two questions. 1. is it worthwhile to purchase a good sent of clothes for the auction, and whats travel time going to be?" Will asks.

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Random Minor Clarifications]Nesfylim does not have an 'h', though perhaps it is an accent thing?

In the humans thing, it actually works perfectly as written, but it may confuse someone in the future who chronicles it because I believe Hendrallia the country is quite young. Since the section in question refers to 'Hendrallia's lands' rather than 'Hendrallia', this still works if the chronicler remembers the distinction.[/SBLOCK]

jaker2003

Explorer
Knowledge(history) (1d20+0=5)
Tankard speaks, "What lands will we travel through, what might we encounter there, and are there any special rules to keep in mind when bidding?

If we cannot purchase this urn at auction, do we have your approval to . . . procure it in a less honest manner?
"

Heckler

First Post
"The bidding is certain to be extremely high. How high are you authorizing us to bid, and how will we be transporting the funds safely?"

thegreyman

First Post
"A good set of clothes may not be amiss for at least one of you. Having one of be the 'face' of the group to do the actual bidding would most likely help."

"I will be giving you a letter of surety. Umraecyl has dealt with these before, as a large sum of gold is hard to transport. It will be written out to the amount of one hundred thousand gold nobles. You can bid all of it if needed, but I would appreciate it if you didn't bid it all away. That gold took some time to acquire..."
He laughs lightly at that.

"The travel should take about six or seven days to reach the mountains and the needed tunnel. It should be a further two days through the underworld to reach the Bazaar. From tomorrow, the auction is nineteen days away. Therefore, you should have ten days to spare."

"The longest and easiest travel will be through the plains leading up the mountains. Travel through the mountains and caves should take about the same time, and are of equal dangers. I do not know specifically what you may run into, but bandits and wild creatures always haunt those areas. I haven't heard of any unusual dangers recently in your path."

Zel hesitates for a few seconds when the mention of less honest procurement is brought up. He takes the time to play with his signet ring as he thinks. "Obviously, I would hope to just obtain the object through bidding, but if we cannot gain it that way, I would leave it up to your judgment. We cannot let it fall into enemy hands, but allied or neutral hands may be acceptable. Is the Urn worth provoking another nation or group? It may be, but that new enemy may tip the balance against us as well. As you will be our representative there, you will have to decide at that time what will be in our best interests."

Robichaud

Explorer
"Right. About gettin' there.." Jinx looks a tad worried while speaking - something about the journey he doesn't like, probably. Maybe it's the thought of descending into the dark bowels of a mountain range and hobnobbing with the likes of dark elves. "..erm. A practical concern. I figure we can all find the Stone Spike mountains easily enough, but findin' the entrance and the proper paths through whatever caves we'll be crawlin' through might be more difficult. What do we have to go on? Maps, guides, or our own pairs of feet 'n eyes?"

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Thargon thinks about the Urn. "Do we have some kind of description for it? I can imagine that whether or not we engage in... procurement activity outside the auction, other parties will. Any information about the Urn's powers, appearance, or influence would be quite helpful here."

He then looks over to Jinx. "Not you worry, access to the caverns can be performed in any manner of ways. It's like a second home to me."

He then faces the others. "Personally, I'd like to see us get there early. That should give us ample time to track down the paths exiting the cavern, knowledge of the competition, and a chance to study the lot for bid. That way, we can bid appropriately, both financially and physically outmaneuver the competition, and make our way back to the Council."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases