GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

Robichaud

Explorer
"It's a mite strange - ya'd think she'd not go playin' near thornbushes for no good reason. Might be she got spooked, and here's where she ran to?" Musing to himself, Jinx searches near the thornbushes, though probably unsuccessfully.

covaithe

Explorer
"Her name is Lara. I'm Serana, by the way. Thank you again for coming to help me look for her. She comes to these bushes all the time to eat the berries, I'm afraid, so it's not very strange that she would run straight here when my back is turned," the woman responds.

The ground in front of the bushes is well trampled grass, indicating frequent traffic, but there is no obvious trail leading away from the berry patch. There is only light undergrowth between the trees, and the ground is covered liberally in pine needles. You can see some distance into the forest.

[sblock=Tankard]Bending low to look at the pine needles to the north and west of the berry patch, you notice something: you catch a faint but distinct odor of vanilla mixed with smoke, and something else that's too complex to put into words. It reminds you of something, and thinking about it idly while you comb the needles, you remember noticing a smell that was similar, but not quite the same, when you were walking downwind of the woman Serana on the way to this house.[/sblock]

As the sun sinks lower, you notice something odd: some of the dust motes that were dancing in the sunlight are still visible in the shadow. In fact, they seem to be a little bit brighter under the shade of the trees, and they are moving faster than the slight breeze.

jaker2003

Explorer
"Anyone else smell vanilla and smoke out . . . Is dust supposed to glow like that in the shade?" Tank wracks his brain, but finds only cudgeled neurons.

OOC: Tank doesn't have ranks in any of the Knowledge skills (not that I know which one is appropriate). What's with the dust? (1d20+0=9)

covaithe

Explorer
Tank cannot remember ever hearing anything about dust motes that fly against the wind, or glow.

"Vanilla? I use vanilla in the soap that I use on my hair. I use the same soap on Lara. Can you really smell it?" Serana sniffs around near where Tank was standing, frowning in concentration. "I don't smell anything." She straightens up, and glances into the forest. "Oh, those. They do that sometimes. I don't know why." She goes back to searching.

As you continue your search, though, the antics of the tiny spots grows harder to ignore. More of them appear, swirling closer despite the steady opposing breeze before darting away westwards and then swirling back to you. There is something about the movements, something that seems almost... urgent.

Robichaud

Explorer
Jinx eyes the floating glowy dust motes for a short while, then speaks. "Folks.. I figure the dust is beckonin' us."

Almost immediately, he seems shocked by his own words. "Did I just say that..? Well. Ah. Somethin' unnatural is up with it, at any rate. And maybe we ought to go investigate." His brow furrows somewhat. "With our weapons at the ready, 'course. Whatever this is, it might be somethin' helpful, but I'm thinkin' it might also be what got our missin' girl missin' in the first place.."

He concludes with a serious look. "Give me a minute to get my head in order. I want to be ready 'n case somethin' jumps us, for a change." With that, he closes his eyes and concentrates.

(Focuses; takes 20 on the Concentration check.)

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I have no idea what you're talking about. :blush:

The dancing lights become increasingly agitated as Jinx takes a minute to concentrate, and when you begin moving towards them, they confirm your theories by moving eagerly back towards the woods, looping and darting. A few of them venture close enough that you could try to capture one and examine it, if you wished.

The lights lead you through the forest, which grows increasingly darker as you go deeper. After about an hour's careful travel, the lights stop and spread out, briefly outlining a low cave entrance before simply disappearing.

It is now well after sunset, and the sky is only a few shades lighter than black. The moon provides fairly bright illumination, but it looks very dark in the cave entrance.

As you stand examining the cave entrance, Phelan speaks up in a quiet voice. "Um, I should probably remind you that I don't have any healing spells left today. I used them all on you guys earlier."

"I can do a little healing," Serana ventures. "It's not much, but... Do you... expect violence?"

ooc2: Those of you without darkvision will need a light source, should you choose to go inside and wish to see.

jaker2003

Explorer
OOC: Yeah, Tank wants a closer look at the glowy dust. Tank creeps forward with the group with an arrow knocked.

When they arrive, Tank answers Serana's question. "All sorts of nasty things live in the bowels of the earth, and I ain't just talkin' dwarves. If we need to wrestle . . . Lara away from something, we may need to be patched up afterward. And if it's just as simple as her falling into a hole, shouldn't we treat any injuries she has as quickly as possible?

. . . I think we have potions somewhere.

OOC: I think we have some potions that are unclaimed. If so, Tank claims one now, sliding it into a belt pouch or pocket, where it can be easily retrieved.

Edit: When the group decides to try out spelunking, Tank and his darkvision are at the front of the marching order, with the player-less dwarf, I think.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]About the playerless dwarf... I'd have written him out by now, but I happened to notice this post, so I'll carry him along a bit further. Though, I note that post was more than a week ago, so it's getting close.

About the potions. There are three, according to this. Tank and Octavio both kindly offered to hold onto one, and I can't find that anyone else has spoken up for one. Now would be a good time to take care of that. Edit: No sooner did I say that than I noticed that Thargon spoke up for one. I'd rather someone else was carrying it, though.

I also note that there are two everburning lanterns in that post, carried by Octavio and Jinx. So there's your light source, unless you want something else.
[/sblock]

Remove ads